Downtown Art

RestedTraveler

here's some more art from spartanburg:

this is in front of a shopping center on East Main. i think it's called something like "crows and apples"

DSCF0458.jpg

there is a group in town that calls themselves something like "group 100" or "group of a 100" and they donate money to have these fountains placed around the city. i'm not sure how many there are so far, but here's one on the corner of pine st. and st. john

DSCF0459.jpg

and here is another on church st. across from the marriott

DSCF0467.jpg

here's another on the corner of union st. and kennedy st.

DSCF0464.jpg

this is a sculpture at the entrance of Barnet Park in downtown. it's on st. john st.

there is also an interactive fountain right inside the entrance. you can kind of see it to the right of the sculpture.

DSCF0460.jpg

here's another sculpture inside Barnet park and you can see the Zimmerli Amphitheater

DSCF0461.jpg

here's a better shot of the amphitheater

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/emo...sh/DSCF0462.jpg

here's is the newest sculpture in the city. it's a peachtree and there are sculpted peaches scattered on the ground too. the peaches are all colored. i really like this one a lot. it's at the corner of Main and Pine.

DSCF0463.jpg

this is one at the front of the cash advance america building on church st. this building is right across from the ESA building.

DSCF0472.jpg

i know this isn't a sculpture, but it sure is a piece of really nice work. the restoration is well done and it is hanging in the Hangar in downtown.

DSCF0483.jpg

DSCF0484.jpg

her's a shot from upstairs

DSCF0486.jpg

well i guess that's it for now. there's still a few sculptures and lots of fountains that i haven't gotten pictures of yet but i'll try to. i'm not meaning to brag on my hometown, but i think that we have an impressive amount of public sculptures around the city. they really add a ton to the appearance and i hope they keep coming. i hope you enjoy. :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a some downtown art from Greenville:

"Falls Lake Falls" at the Entrance to Falls Park on the Reedy River:

FallsLakeFalls.jpg

FallsPlaza.jpg

Mice on Main (Not All Nine of Them):

Mice0001.jpg

Mice0002.jpg

Mice0003.jpg

Mice0004.jpg

Mice0005.jpg

Rather Painful Looking Thing in front of Carolina First Bank:

Ouch.jpg

Fountain at the Peace Center:

PeaceCenter.jpg

Poinsett Fountain:

PoinsettFountain.jpg

Road Marker for "The Buncombe Road"

RoadMarker.jpg

Shoeless Joe Jackson:

ShoelessJoe0001.jpg

ShoelessJoe0002.jpg

ShoelessJoe0003.jpg

Fountain at SouthTrust Bank / Piedmont Natural Gas Building (usually has a flame burning at the top of the fountain):

SouthTrustPiedmontNG.jpg

Vardry McBee:

VardryMcBee.jpg

Briefcase at City Hall Visitors Center (Notice the two pockets on the lid - they typically hold the Greenville Guide Book):

ChamberofCommerceAndCityHall.jpg

VisitorsCenter.jpg

Fountain at Wachovia Plaza:

WachoviaPlaza2.jpg

Fountain at the Westin Poinsett:

WestinPlaza.jpg

Joel Poinsett:

JoelPoinsett.jpg

Yes, thanks for posting these. That peach tree at Pine & Main looks weird to me. Its almost like its plastic. I like it though. That was a hideous corner. I wish I had the foresight to photograph some of these areas before. Oh well :)

THe Randolf Group is Developing a New-urbanism Neighborhood near Fairview Rd. in Simpsonville, within the the neighborhood they have a few peices of art of children playing similar to the one above. One of them is of Kids playing leap frog.

THe Randolf Group is Developing a New-urbanism Neighborhood near Fairview Rd. in Simpsonville, within the the neighborhood they have a few peices of art of children playing similar to the one above.  One of them is of Kids playing leap frog.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this Verdmont?

YEs, and I actually meant to say its name in my posting.  My bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem, BT. I've driven out there a couple of times (out of curiosity). I'll have to venture out again the next time we're shopping on Fairview Road and snap some photos (unless someone else wants to do it). :)

THe Randolf Group is Developing a New-urbanism Neighborhood near Fairview Rd. in Simpsonville, within the the neighborhood they have a few peices of art of children playing similar to the one above.  One of them is of Kids playing leap frog.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My wife tells me there's something similar to this at the Greenville County Main Library, too. I'll definitely check both out!

I was out at Verdmont last week, and to me, things seem to be progressing rather slowly, at least on the side where the custom builders are working. It seemed as though every one of the homes that have been built are for sale.

I liked the development overall, but it is kind of remote for this type of development. Although, in the next 10 years, I will not be saying that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't see any kids playing leap frog, but there were some nice sculptures of kids playing and reading:

Verdimont0001.jpg

Verdimont0002.jpg

Verdimont0003.jpg

Verdimont0004.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

10,000-pound statue stolen from Verdmont subdivion

I didn't see this one when I was out there taking the other photos, but evidently someone with some large muscles (or heavy equipment) made off with a bronze statue of a little girl roller blading wearing a helmet and protective gear. :cry:

What on earth would someone do with such a thing?

More in the Greenville News.

:angry:

I have seen this statue up close, I think 10,000 lbs is a typo, maybe more like 1,000lbs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So it'd be roughly the size of the others that are out there then. This makes more sense.

Interestingly enough, these statues are not unique. I was in the Marion County Florida Public Library in Ocala, Florida a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that the little girl reading the book was on top of a short shelving unit in the children's section of that library.

• 2 months later...

Archived