Downtown Art

RestedTraveler

Kansas City MO, is indeed a beautiful city. Supposedly only Paris was more fountains. I was there for about 2.5 weeks a couple years back. If you look at the fountain of the two fireman (a very nice one, even if not as elaborate as some of the others), there is a high-rise behind it. My company bought the company that anchored that building.

If you are ever in the area, but sure to not miss the Country Club Plaza area. Many of the fountains shown in that thread are in that area. Also, be sure to hit Crowne Plaza. The headquarters of Hallmark is there. Some of the fountains pictured are there also. There a a ton of restaurants, shops, etc. in both places. DT KC is not as nice unfortunately as those areas, but it is improving too, from what I gathered.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought so too. Is this thread now open to all SC cities?

It was moved out into the Upstate forum shortly after being created. It is a great subject for all to enjoy alike. ;)

Greenville just unveiled a new sculpture in the Rock Quarry Garden yesterday. I really like it. It is a little girl on a bench holding a book and smiling at her playful puppy on the ground below. Another one of the many surprises in Greenville hiding from the nonexploratory public. :D

I originally started this topic with Greenville (and Spartanburg and Anderson) in mind; however, I'm perfectly alright with it being open to the entire state.

There are great sculptures and public displays of art throughout the great State of South Carolina. Let's see some photographs, people! :shades:

This is a great piece of public art recently created and installed by art students from a local middle school. It is positioned next to Horizon Records and The Bohemian Cafe/Restaurant/Bar on North Main in downtown Greenville.

DowntownArt_01.jpg

____

This sculpture is also located next to Horizon Records and The Bohemian Cafe/Restaurant/Bar in downtown Greenville.

DowntownArt_02.jpg

The front fountain and sculpture at The Peace Center for the Perfoming Arts in downtown Greenville. The Liberty Building rises over the trees along South Main Street in the background. Across Main Street to the right, a new statue is being erected called The Freedom Monument, to honor Revolutionary War hero Nathaniel Greene.

LibertyPeace_01.jpg

A peculiar piece of art being erected outside a small shop on North Street in downtown Greenville. The owner had hoped to have a mural (banner) hung to depict the plane flying over the city, but the proposal was not accepted at the time of inquiry.

NorthStreetPlane_02.jpg

NorthStreetPlane_01.jpg

A larger-than-life sculpture of Greenville-native Dr. Charles Townes, inventor of the formula which became the laser. This statue was intended to capture the moment he first discovered the formula and wrote it down while sitting on a park bench in Washington DC.

StarbucksRiverPlace_03.jpg

Few greater examples exist of public art in an urban park setting than downtown Greenville's Falls Park on the Reedy. It has become the centerpiece icon for the city - a must-see by thousands of visitors weekly. Here you see both a fascinating sculpture and the internationally-acclaimed Liberty Bridge.

FallsPark_09.jpg

More great downtown art in Greenville:

This sculpture is located in front of the Poinsett Plaza office tower on Main Street:

DowntownArt_03b.jpg

The "Nexus of Light" sculpture in downtown Greenville's West End historic district:

DowntownArt_05c.jpg

Sculpture in front of the Design Strategies headquarters on Main Street:

DowntownArt_04.jpg

A beautiful clock in front of the Liberty Building:

DowntownArt_07.jpg

An oriental artist painting the West End:

DowntownArt_06.jpg

Fountains on Main Street:

MainStreet_15b.jpg

More great downtown art in Greenville:

An oriental artist painting the West End:

DowntownArt_06.jpg

Great pics! I love this one because of the subject. I have a feeling that we will see more of this as Riverplace and the Riverwalk move further along down the river. :)

Great pics! I love this one because of the subject. I have a feeling that we will see more of this as Riverplace and the Riverwalk move further along down the river. :)

Thanks, GvilleSC! I often see artists outside around town - especially in Falls Park. :thumbsup:

Here is one from East Court Street. This mural was created for the Saturday Market held right here in the street until 12pm every Saturday.

DowntownArt_08.jpg

Archived