Downtown Art

RestedTraveler

Instead of wasting space with a bland fence, this block corner has made the most of its potential as an art gallery for children's nice creations. The future of the property behind the fence includes an office tower.

DowntownArt_09.jpg

Yeah, when are they going to start building it. In 5 or 10 years? :rofl:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few photos from Downtown Anderson...

The Anderson County Arts Center:

219637341_c0e64a1553.jpg

For more information on this photo, CLICK HERE.

Anderson has a "Fish out of Water, Hooked on the Arts" parade of 32 Large Mouth Bass throughout the City. Here are a few...

Starry Starry Fish:

219637336_e0d0148655.jpg

The City Side of Country Fish / City Fish:

219637343_74b650ea17.jpg

Fruit Bass-ket:

219637354_67c4457455.jpg

Fishing for Compliments:

219647745_abf9883fcc.jpg

Fingerprint Fish (I would have probably called it "AFISH" (a play on AFIS) and stuck it in front of the Police Department, but that's just me):

219647750_1394a7e418.jpg

Swimmin in the Green:

219657936_c578110913.jpg

Anderson County Balloon Fish:

219657939_635db4681a.jpg

The rest can be seen here.

A couple of the statues found in Downtown Anderson...

A sculpture of William Church Whitner by Zan Wells of Greenville:

219657941_5f4819b940.jpg

A sculpture of James Robert "Radio" Kennedy by Zan Wells of Greenville:

219647739_a6a67b0267.jpg

Wow, so Anderson has fish like Ft. Wayne has mastodons...cool.

Here are some shots of some public art pieces in Columbia. These shots were included in a photo gallery of public art by Columbia's daily, The State.

We'll start with the giant "Neverbust" chain, which connects the Kress and Sylvan buildings on Main. This, as well many other works of art in the city, is the creation of local artist Blue Sky (I believe he has since moved to California):

bigchain.jpg

neverbust.jpg

neverbust2.jpg

bigchain2.jpg

bigchain3.jpg

"Overflow" painted on the back of the library at Crayton Elementary School by Blue Sky

overflow.jpg

"Five Points--1948" painted on the side of Harpers Restaurant in the Five Points neighborhood by Blue Sky

5pts1948.jpg

"Tunnel Vision" by Blue Sky

tunnelvision.jpg

tunnelvision2.jpg

"The Other Side of the Tunnel" by Blue Sky

othersideoftunnel.jpg

othersideoftunnel2.jpg

"Busted Plug Plaza" in the parking lot of AG First Bank by Blue Sky

bustedplug.jpg

bustedplug3.jpg

bustedplug2.jpg

bustedplug4.jpg

"Adopt Us" by Blue Sky

adoptus.jpg

kitty.jpg

"Jubilaeus" by Gretchen Lothrop in front of the Bank of America building on Main

jubilaeus.jpg

"Passages" by Greg Fitzpatrick on the grounds of the Richland County Judicial Center downtown

passages.jpg

A sculpture in front of EdVenture children's museum (the largest children's museum in the Southeast)

edventuresculpture.jpg

"Upright Motive No. 8" by Henry Moore in front of the Columbia Museum of Art

uprightmotiveno8.jpg

The African-American Monument on the statehouse grounds

AAmonument.jpg

Bronze statue of Kirkman Finlay, former mayor of Columbia, in Finlay Park (which exists due to his leadership)

kirkmanfinlay.jpg

"Homage to Abbot Suger," a steel and fiberglass sculpture by Nade Haley in front of the Columbia Museum of Art

steelfiberglass.jpg

I wish they would have incorporated more retail at street level when they did changes to the Libery Square buildings. More people might then enjoy the new landscaping and water features. I'll have to go wander around Beattie Place some time soon. Nice pic, too!

Coming in late October '06: a 24-foot-tall sculpture in Boyd Plaza in front of the Columbia Museum of Art. It is being assembled in Maryland now by the artist, an internationally acclaimed sculptor, and will be transported to Columbia and put in place over about a two-day period. It will have a cascading waterfall spilling into a pool. It will have other water features and will be colorful and contemporary. It will be lighted at night and will have timers to start and stop the different water features. Boosters say it will be postcard material and will be something that draws the eye and makes Hampton and Main a very urbane place to be.

Coming in late October '06: a 24-foot-tall sculpture in Boyd Plaza in front of the Columbia Museum of Art. It is being assembled in Maryland now by the artist, an internationally acclaimed sculptor, and will be transported to Columbia and put in place over about a two-day period. It will have a cascading waterfall spilling into a pool. It will have other water features and will be colorful and contemporary. It will be lighted at night and will have timers to start and stop the different water features. Boosters say it will be postcard material and will be something that draws the eye and makes Hampton and Main a very urbane place to be.

That sounds very cool! :shades:

Nothing says "Downtown Art" like downtown art festivals. On Saturday, the 15th annual Art in the Park kicked off in Greenville. This festival, along with every other downtown festival in the city, has continued to grow, and now that Falls Park is well established, there is no better venue for such events.

Here are a few of my photos from the first day:

Plenty of great work to enjoy on the east end of the Liberty Bridge:

ArtinthePark_01.jpg

Check out our friend, Dogs On Wheels. He moved his restaurant into the West End for the festival. Appears to have been a good call. :lol:

ArtinthePark_02.jpg

Lots of kids' activities down along the river:

ArtinthePark_03.jpg

ArtinthePark_04.jpg

South Main Street in the West End was excellent as always:

ArtinthePark_05.jpg

Here's a shot of a few of the art studios along the riverwalk at RiverPlace:

RiverPlace_10.jpg

Here are a couple shots of activity around the interactive fountain at RiverPlace. Notice the "tunnel of water" feature:

RiverPlace_11.jpg

RiverPlace_12.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I called AgFirst on Hampton Street in Columbia to ask when the fountain part of the "Busted Plug" fire hydrant would fixed. They looked into it and called me back and said the motor was burned out and that they would put another one in. I asked them if they could make the water spew higher than it had been. Well.............. yesterday on my way home from work, there it was, spewing high - up to the top part of the hydrant. Not only is it spewing about three times as high as it was before, but also it now creates mist that wafts horizontally from the peak point of the spewing water, about 20 feet above the surface parking lot. Now that is how it was supposed to be.... a fire hydrant that got knocked partly over and is spewing water high in to the air. Thus the name "Busted Plug."

Archived