New Convention Center Site

doormanpoet

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is the Steiner Liff Property? I just grabbed a unit downtown (move in June 10th) and am trying to learn more about the city.

One cool result of waiting on the build-out to wrap-up has been has been staying in every major hotel (Priceline) in Downtown/West End...great way to see the city.

Where is the Steiner Liff Property? I just grabbed a unit downtown (move in June 10th) and am trying to learn more about the city.

One cool result of waiting on the build-out to wrap-up has been has been staying in every major hotel (Priceline) in Downtown/West End...great way to see the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Steiner Liff property is a giant filthy scrapyard on the east bank of the river, within view of downtown, due south of the Coliseum.

As I mentioned in another post I think the steiner liff property is the perfect place for a new convention center. It seems like it would be much cheaper than buying the church property on broadway. I also think more parking could be added in that area for football games and convention center events.

I sure wish I knew someone at the scrapyard. I'd love to know some inside thinking on the matter from the standpoint of the owners. It seems such a simple thing to move that OUT to somewhere else. They need the river, but the river should offer plenty of space somewhere out of town for them to do their business. It just doesn't belong downtown.

I think a convention center there would be a fine fit, but I'd really like to see the adjoining area redeveloped into a complementary urban residential/commercial district as well. Some slick people mover would be a good idea. We couldn't expect all those convention goers to hike across the Shelby Bridge just to get back to their hotels and entertainment areas, but the "mover" would have to be high enough and arched enough to provide the height necessary to move major river transportation like the Gen. Jackson, etc. to pass under.

I also think the massive area south of Broadway could be fitted well with a new convention center. The area will change dramatically over the next few years anyway, and keeping people on the immediate downtown streets isn't a bad idea.

Welcome to "nashville bound" on his joining in the discussion and welcome to the city. Congrats on finding your downtown unit as well. Think about joining us this weekend at the library for our little "meet."

Thanks to "Dave" for the invite and the warm reception...I meet with the flooring workers on Friday AM and I am not sure if I will be in town the rest of the weekend, with this weather the mountains of East Tennessee may be calling.

But please hold the invite open until I move full-time to Nashville in June. If my orientation is accurate the Library is just a couple of blocks from the Westview.

"Dave"

We had a meeting last Thursday to review plans for the new roof, most of the owners attended so I probably already toasted with your friends.

The only married couples I have met are the Malloy's in 501 and Helen in 302 (but not her husband).

Anyway the people so far seem great...It should prove to be an entertaining building.

As for the Plan of Nashville...it was a great read I hope Nashville is able to implement some of the concepts.

I heard that part of the reason why they can't put anything on that site right now is because the soil is contaminated. I don't know if there is much they can do about it right now...it would be nice to learn more about it.

From what I understand PCS Metals just isn't ready to move. In fact, they're upgrading their river access (ugh) for now. In the meantime, let's just suck up the tons of property tax they pay and hope someone spends it wisely. Purcell hates the site as much as we do, but it's a fiscal reality for now. I have no doubt that the company will have a conscience someday and scram. Clean up shouldn't be too much of an issue, they did a lot of clean up of the industrial areas where the stadium sits, so I guess they can do it there, too.

Remember, pre-1995, the entire eastside of the river looked almost as bad. But I found it infinately interesting...especially that little bar called "Boots." Oh, nevermind. lol

Remember, pre-1995, the entire eastside of the river looked almost as bad. But I found it infinately interesting...especially that little bar called "Boots." Oh, nevermind. lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember going over around there when I lived in Nashville in 1969 to visit a doctor who would prescribe uppers for students needing to study. :blush:

Obviously that scrapyard should go, but I still like the idea of a working river like in New Orleans where you still have docks and so on right downtown. Nashville of course is different.

The merits of a new convention center in most cities are questionable imho.

if nashville does get a new convention center, it should be in the central business district of downtown. it should be in walking distance to the hotels and broadway and 2nd ave. having it across the river will probably deter some people from coming to the other side to spend their money downtown. i would love to see it built in the gulch and clean that area up. i also like the idea of just adding to the existing one, even though they would have to take one of those churches. btw, did anybody know that there was an underground walkway from the convention center to the arena that passes under broadway? my dad told me about it the other day and it was the first i had ever heard about it.

Underground walkway? Yes, have used it a number of times. Was able to have dinner at the Renaissance, and end up in the suite at the GEC without going outside. Pretty cool.

About the Gulch. I don't think you'll see the convention center there. Over $40 million has been spent of infrstructure to support things like the new retail center, the Bristol development, a couple of new office buildings and other things. It's pretty planned out at the moment. It's too far from the arena anyway.

The Gulch is a good bit farther than the Steiner Liff scrap yard.

Also speaking of tunnels a guy I know that went to hume fog way back when told me there was a tunnel from hume fog to the capitol building that was used during the war. I'm not sure how true this is, it may just be myth but it would be a neat thing if it was true.

The Gulch is a good bit farther than the Steiner Liff scrap yard.

Also speaking of tunnels a guy I know that went to hume fog way back when told me there was a tunnel from hume fog to the capitol building that was used during the war.

The guy that told me about it said in the late 70's when he went to school there him and another guy took a cutting torch from shop class and cut a lock or two going to the basement and managed to get into the tunnels. If I'm not mistaking I think he also said there is a olympic size swimming pool in the bottom of the school. I would really like to get to walk through those tunnels.

The guy that told me about it said in the late 70's when he went to school there him and another guy took a cutting torch from shop class and cut a lock or two going to the basement and managed to get into the tunnels.  If I'm not mistaking I think he also said there is a olympic size swimming pool in the bottom of the school.  I would really like to get to walk through those tunnels.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I attended from '00-'04. I dunno about the swimming pool down there. I know theres a nuculear bomb shelter down there under the basement which is probably full of water. The only part of the basement I've been in is where the police station for motorcycle/bicycle/mounted police is. The rest of the basement is fairly scary looking from what I could see.

Archived