Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheGerbil

Anyone else get really defensive about your city?

I get so sick of hearing people talk smack about Pittsburgh, because usually they are just spouting generalizations that they can't even back up when asked to. But they always criticize *me* for being defensive.

I just don't see why some people feel the need to announce that "Pittsburgh sucks" or whatever. It's really annoying to me, because I like it here and I do not see why anyone would find it so offensive. And I hate to think these people are going around saying bad things about it and coloring the opinions of people who haven't been here to judge it for themselves.

What is this phenomenon? Anyone else experience it?

Yeah constantly.

The funny thing is that my friends from NYC, LA, Chicago etc absolutely love Pittsburgh when they come to visit. They all say they would live here.

Most people who criticize have never been here and somehow think they appear cool if they bash any city that is not NYC (such people are so insecure and lame anyway does their opinion really matter?). The people I know who live in Pgh and want to move are generally unhappy people who would rather blame where they are rather than look at themselves and take responisbility for their lives.

However the absolute worst group are:

BITTER EX-PITTSBURGHERS! I sometimes visit a Pgh message board where we talk about local politics and ways to improve the city. There are more ex-pittsburghers posting than people who actually live here. All they do is b*tch and complain and criticize and jump down our throats anytime anyone tries to think of anything constructive to do to improve our city. They say the city is dead and if any of us try to come up with ways to improve things they shoot us down. It is so annoying!

My feeling is they honestly feel bad about leaving Pgh (who wouldn't) and they are trying to convince themselves that the city sucks in order to validate their decision to leave. I mean it is obvious - why else would they still be visiting our message boards?

I feel your pain.

That's funny, I think I know the message board you are talking about. Unless there are many like it, which may be the case.

I agree with you: what reason would an ex-Pittsburgher have for frequenting a message board about the city and saying nasty things? Somehow it must really be about them, not about the city.

But man, some dumbass on another message board I read was giving me a real hard time earlier about my defensiveness. Like, they were trying to egg me on. I am not even sure if they meant any of what they said or if they were just trying to annoy me, but that sort of thing really pisses me off. Why shouldn't people who like it here be defensive, what with all the negativity going around? It seems like hating Pittsburgh or wanting to leave here is the "in" thing. I think they even made fun of Pgh on that show The OC, despite the fact that the writers probably don't know anything about Pgh. But now that is more fodder for the haters. I wonder when this cycle of negativity will end?

Oh well, not much we can do about it. And sometimes it is so absurd that it's funny :)

A bunch of kids from my highschool left Pgh because I think they thought it was the cool thing to do. Guess what? Every year more and more of them move back. I moved back too after grad school because the quality of life here is so much better than anywhere else.

I have traveled all over the world (thanks to Pittburgh's low cost of living I have traveled 10 fold more than my friends who live in NY, San Fransisco or Boston) and the more I travel the more I appreciate coming home to Pittsburgh.

I am totally defensive about Pittsburgh. I admit it. But that is because I feel like this city gets disproportionately sh*t upon all the time.

We need to get more people to come here. Everyone I have ever had visit Pgh has been very favorablably impressed, it is an impressive town. We need more conventions, events, BUSINESSES!!!!!

Once someone comes here their perception changes. What did they say on the OC? More importantly, why were you watching the OC??!!!

To all those that say we might be tooo defensive it was interesting to see this in the Post-Gazette recently, this would explain how even the most INTELLIGENT, IN-TOUCH people in the national media STILL have it wrong:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11116

Some BMW officials admitted that holding an event in Pittsburgh was a bit of a risk, given that most car journalists are used to going to more glamorous West Coast or Southern locales for such events. But Pittsburgh turned out to be a hit with many of the out-of-towners.

"I went out last night and as I walked around, looked at the views and crossed the bridges, I realized I could have been in Europe,'' said Jerry Garrett, a contributing editor with Car & Driver magazine. "It just has this quaint, Old World kind of feeling with a lot of charm."

James Javier, here from New York with the bmwnation.com Web site, said he thought he would see "a small, small city. But I was kind of stunned. It's pretty big, and there's an awful lot of things happening down where the rivers meet."

"Once someone comes here their perception changes. What did they say on the OC? More importantly, why were you watching the OC??!!! "

LOL I wasn't watching, I just heard second-hand that they said something. Basically I think they implied that Pgh is dull. The only reason it bothers me is because so many young people watch that show and if they don't know anything about Pgh, they are just going to believe that.

^^ I think we all know the BB that it surfaced on a few years ago . . . Trib . . . The OC supposedly has the one guy (maybe the lead) come from Pittsburgh anyways he states that and a few of the airhead girls on the show basically have a look of disgust on their face. What is even more pathetic about this is that this is one of the top 5 shows for Fox which is the jewel of Rupert Murdoch's worldwide NewsCorp. (and thats saying something when he also has the NY Post, Europe's #1 Skynews, Asian/Australian properties and FNC etc.) Fox Broadcast is still the major moneymaker . . . anyways a top 5 show on his #1 network insults Pittsburgh, what is ironic is that Murdoch was caught in the slowdown in '91 and was heavily leveraged, basically he and his budding media empire was TOAST, total wipe out, PNC Bank HQed right in the middle of downtown--you guessed it ewhh! Pittsburgh--was the lead institution that guaranteed his loans, in laymen money terms, saved his arse and kept him in the game instead of possibly facing charges or being taken out to the economic graveyard. PNC the same bank that named the best ballpark with the best view in the world (according to ESPN) the same bank that has the LARGEST environmentally friendly office building in the world in Pittsburgh etc. etc. You would think Murdoch would have remembered that but he's probably too busy counting his money to care if his largest network takes a crap on the town and company that is making Pittsburgh a beauty spot in the region, the same one that saved his career.

I've never lived in Pittsburgh... and I'm still extremely defensive about it. People always think I'm crazy when I talk about how great Pittsburgh is and how it's my dream to live there. Even many people that live in Pittsburgh have a delusional hatred of it. I know a girl here at Penn State that is from the West End.. and she always talks about how she hates everything about Pittsburgh except the Steelers. Unfortunately, many people in today's America only value suburbia... and not the unique urban treasure that is Pittsburgh.

I agree that Pittsburgh is a "unique urban treasure," which is why I thought it was utterly ridiculous when some guy on another message board called it "just one big suburb." Not sure where he got that from! I swear, most of the complaints I hear don't even make sense. If someone tells me there is "nothing to do" here, I point out that we have a lot of good museums and cultural attractions. And what do they reply? "Yeah but every city has museums." Huh? :blink:

LOL

There is actually much more to do it Pittsburgh than in the big cities. Why? Because everything is accessible and affordable. I go to a Pirates game at least twice a month, Pens games (when the NHL is playing) at least 4 times a month. My friends in NY are not able to get tickets to anything even if they have the money to pay for it.

We have museums, the premier symphony in the country, opera, ballet, city theater etc. The cultural amenities here are amazing and the new cities out west can spend the next 200 years trying to build what we already have and won't be able to.

Plus golfing, horseback riding, skiing...you cannot do these things on a regular basis in other cities.

Anyone who lives in Pittsburgh and says there is nothing to do is just really really lazy.

Good point about affordability! I remember hearing someone from Boston say they can't get sox tickets, and I thought, hey I can see the Sox for like ten bucks next time they play the Pirates here. Ha! B)

Buffalo has the same problems that Pit has. I think many people need someplace to make them feel good about their choices. If you live in Pheonix you need to prove to yourself that it is the dream place it claims to be. Buffalo is a spectacular city and it is true that has been down on its luck and looks a bit rough around the edges but give me Buffalo any day over ANY of these upstart southwest places that people are flocking to.

As for locals bashing their own town....the grass always SEEMS greener on the other side of the fence. Fact is those complaining Buffalonians and Pittsburghers would be living in a lot smaller more expensive house in Chicago and their commute would be twice as long as in their own cities

Haha, speaking of TV though, wasnt that queer as folk show in Pittsburgh, I remember seeing it a couple of times and they made Pittsburgh look awesome (I thought it was a cool place before that). Anyways the show is a big hit with people not just gay people young and old...so uhh that helps, haha.

And yeah it makes me mad when people have useless banter about cities they have not even been too, and it makes me more mad when people believe them and dont investigate more for themselves.

It always helps to get a residents opinion (or a few), but when a resident doesnt like their city, yeah I think they are just complainers because if I could find something to do for a year in Mobile Alabama then I know there is stuff to do in some shape anywhere haha.

I was just reading another message board (PghUSA will know what board I mean), and you would not believe the stupid crap some folks on there were spewing. Someone described Pittsburgh as "as step above Erie." Oh come ON. I have been to Erie, and Pittsburgh is much more similar to places like San Diego and DC than it is to Erie.

This person was claiming that South Beach is way better than Pgh because of the night life. "You can only go to museums so many times" he said. Well guess what, Pgh may not have as much night life as South Beach, but we still have one, and at least we have cultural options to keep you entertained once you outgrow the club scene! You can only go to night clubs so many times, too. :rolleyes:

I am glad I left that message board. It is full of idiots who feed off of eachother's bullcrap. How can you continue to talk to them, PghUSA? :blink: (Though I credit you for attempting to reason with them).

LOL what on earth message board it that!? Do they have a message board for PA or just Pittsburgh, I have been looking for one. Anyways that is rediculous, sounds to me like what a bunch of kids would say ... I am still laughing about the south beach thing.

It's the message board on pittsburghlive.com, which is the Tribune Review's website. They have various discussion boards, and one of them is just general Pittsburgh topics.

It seems to be full of dumb-asses who are only there to say negative things. I got sick of it and stopped posting there. This place is so much more adult, and the discussions here are more interesting and positive. But I just wish this board got a bit more traffic.

Hey thanks.

Yeah I wish it got more traffic too, but it still is better than lots of others and I respect the quality over quantity they have going on over here. A litte less pissing contest and children and a little more information and constructive conversation.

This person was claiming that South Beach is way better than Pgh because of the night life. "You can only go to museums so many times" he said. Well guess what, Pgh may not have as much night life as South Beach, but we still have one, and at least we have cultural options to keep you entertained once you outgrow the club scene! You can only go to night clubs so many times, too.  :rolleyes:

South Beach nightlife is overrated. There are a few clubs here and there but the major cities have clubs like the oens in South Beach and quite a few more of them. The Ocean Drive strip is the place where most tourists see and it is quite touristy. Even tehn its only a few blocks long and the scene is less of the supermodels, sophisticated playboy, high fashion scene most people think it is and more of the tourist from Louisville type scene.

Hey thanks.

Yeah I wish it got more traffic too, but it still is better than lots of others and I respect the quality over quantity they have going on over here. A litte less pissing contest and children and a little more information and constructive conversation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It needs to have a more exciting name. I don't think "Pennsylvania Cities" does it. That name is too regional and few people from outside PA will join in to discuss urban issues involving Scranton and Johnstown.

To get people excited, the forum needs to be named after a major city. Also, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia each have enough urban interest to deserve their own forums. Until then, I recommend that it be changed to the "Pittsburgh and Philadelphia Forum" (Pgh will go first in honor of PghUSA who I assume started the forum).