Will Publix ever come to Charlotte?

Harris Teeter is a wholy owned subsidary of the Ruddick Corporation which is based in the Charlotte metro. This is a fairly significant corporation and I would think that Kroger would have difficulty in attempting to take over Harris Teeter unless Ruddick was looking to get rid of it. (which I would find simply amazing)

National grocery chains are looking to get a piece of the Southern grocery market because with the exception of the South it is a very mature market elsewhere. These companies, if they want to grow, are going to have to move into markets that serve the areas that people are moving to. Mecklenburg county has had 75K people move into the county in the 4 years after the census. That is very attractive to grocery retailers.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harris Teeter is a wholy owned subsidary of the Ruddick Corporation which is based in the Charlotte metro.  This is a fairly significant corporation and I would think that Kroger would have difficulty in attempting to take over Harris Teeter unless Ruddick was looking to get rid of it.  (which I would find simply amazing)

National grocery chains are looking to get a piece of the Southern grocery market because with the exception of the South it is a very mature market elsewhere.  These companies, if they want to grow, are going to have to move into markets that serve the areas that people are moving to.  Mecklenburg county has had 75K people move into the county in the 4 years after the census.  That is very attractive to grocery retailers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That has been Publix & Kroger's strong suit - they have the financial reserves to bombard rural / exurban areas that are growing with many grocery stores. They grow by being one step ahead of the competitors & over time dominating the market. In the past 5 years they have also been aggressive in moving into riskier markets, in urban areas.

Basically they know the best way to seige a castle is by starving them out rather than attacking...

• Lowes Foods

• Winn Dixie

• FoodLion and its Bloom derivative

• Aldi

• SuperWalmart

• SuperTarget

• Costco

• BJs

• Sams

And some standalones.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+ FreshMarket, EarthFare, local chain (I think) Home Economist Market and soon to be Whole Foods. Any Bi-Los still around?

That has been Publix & Kroger's strong suit - they have the financial reserves to bombard rural / exurban areas that are growing with many grocery stores.  They grow by being one step ahead of the competitors & over time dominating the market.  In the past 5 years they have also been aggressive in moving into riskier markets, in urban areas.

Basically they know the best way to seige a castle is by starving them out rather than attacking...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except of course..... Kroger has already failed in Charlotte. Beaten by the homegrown groceries of Harris Teeter and Foodlion.

+ FreshMarket, EarthFare, local chain (I think) Home Economist Market and soon to be Whole Foods. Any Bi-Los still around?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are *12* Bi-Lo stores still in Mecklenburg County

-Independence

-S Tryon

-Elm Lane

-Dilworth

-Albemarle

-The Plaza

-Prosperity Church

-Ashley Road

-Rosedale (Gilead)

-Hwy 51/Park Rd (Pineville)

-Mt Holly-Huntesrville

-Lawyers Rd

phew.. i think that's it.

i like freshmarket, too... but in charlotte, but i think the only one is in south charlotte near 485.  (piper glen?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two Fresh Market stores in Charlotte

-Providence Road (Strawberry Hill)

-Highway 51/Carmel Rd (Carmel Commons)

Kroger had a disco ball or something like that and the look was true 70s i think... I'm not exactly sure on the details though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No there was never a disco ball at that Kroger. In fact it was one of the last ones to be built in Charlotte. (if not the last one) Disco had already crashed with the people burning their tunes in big bonfires. These poor peeps later regretting burning up their good music.

It was commonly called Disco Kroger because of the crowds and activities that used to take place in the parking lot there. (especially when the store was closed).

I wasnt too impressed when I went in Publix in the charleston suburbs years ago. I think teeter, lowes and the new bi-lo here in gastonia are nicer than them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, the new Bi-Lo off of Redbud Dr in Gastonia is very nice. I wasnt expecting something like this from Bi-Lo when it was built.

Archived