Will Publix ever come to Charlotte?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that Bi-Lo just sold out, and changes they are a comin'.  For instance, my family still lives in Fayetteville and they are losing all 4 Bi-lo's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the local papers here in Charlotte, Bi-Lo doesnt plan to close any Charlotte metro stores. They asked a Bi-Lo representative who stated that the Charlotte market is still a "core" market for them.

I found the website of the developer for Bi-Lo. (Childress Klein)  It does have a picture of Bi-Lo, plus Redbud Commons.  The pharmacy has its own entrance at the front of the store and its own name, the drugstore at Bi-Lo.

http://www.childressklein.com/ck/propertie....sa?detail=1157

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

looks nice! here's a blown up pic link from CK's website

http://www.childressklein.com/uploads/Redbud%208-31-04.JPG

According to the local papers here in Charlotte, Bi-Lo doesnt plan to close any Charlotte metro stores.  They asked a Bi-Lo representative who stated that the Charlotte market is still a "core" market for them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my that is disappointing. Bilo, is a dirty, poorly run store that I certainly would not miss.

Oh my that is disappointing.  Bilo, is a dirty, poorly run store that I certainly would not miss.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know you'd never drive from the lake to go shopping in gastonia but the new bi-lo in gastonia is the nicest store in town...better than any location of harris teeter or lowes.

I know you'd never drive from the lake to go shopping in gastonia but the new bi-lo in gastonia is the nicest store in town...better than any location of harris teeter or lowes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He speakth the truth. :D (I do like Lowes Foods too, though)

It is big, airy, and looks nothing like the Bi-Los of old. The old Bi-Lo store on Franklin, near Cox Rd (which they demolished for a new Circuit City) is what I considered a poorly run store, but not the new one. I believe the old one on Franklin used to be an old Kroger store before they pulled out of the market.

Like Harris Teeter, Winn-Dixie and Food Lion, a lethal mixute of Publix and Super Walmart is causing another to chain to put its tail between its legs and run for cover. Albertsons, just announced they're closing all of their 7 Jax stores. I think its only a matter of time, before these guys decide to make a move on Charlotte and NC.

Like Harris Teeter, Winn-Dixie and Food Lion, a lethal mixute of Publix and Super Walmart is causing another to chain to put its tail between its legs and run for cover.  Albertsons, just announced they're closing all of their 7 Jax stores.  I think its only a matter of time, before these guys decide to make a move on Charlotte and NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't realize there were Albertson's stores in Jax

• 4 months later...

Trader Joe's has ambitions of moving into the south. There was an article in the AJC (Atlanta) several months ago about this. While, they have no firm plans of opening a southern store, they do have their eye on this market. I predict Charlotte and other cities in the south will see TJ in a few years.

I didn't really want to start a new thread for this, but I wanted to pass on that I heard today that Trader Joe's will apparantly be entering the market within the next year.

Since I moved to Charlotte from upstate NY, I still miss my Wegmans. When ever I visit family up there, I make sure I make a trip to the grocery store. Its like a major attraction in Rochester. If only they opened one in Charlotte!

http://www.wegmans.com/

Check it out. #1 Best company to work for. (Fortune 500)

yes I do miss wegmans, particularly their subs. I worked for Wegmans Corporate back in Rochester and i know that they do want to push even further south. However you have to remember that DC is VERY south as far as Rochester is considered, and it already is a very expensive operation for them. When I left they were talking about opening up a second HQ in Fairfax to help run things there. Bottom line, don't expect Wegmans down here anytime soon.

Do your sources know where trader joe might decide to to do the entering?

Ooops....I'm posting a public UP apology....I may have overstated.....I did a little follow-up asking, and all they have been doing is speaking with brokers here.....there is nothing signed.

• 1 month later...

There has been some talk about Wegmans on this board and I have to agree with everyone who says it's the nicest grocery store around. I lived no more than 2 minutes from a Wegmans a few years back and couldn't get enough of it. The big draw is the prepared food. Their prepared food is nicer than going to some of Charlotte's nicest restaurants. They had an extensive sushi bar, Chinese buffet, Indian buffet, pizza by the slice (best pizza around!), sandwich station, Thai buffet, extensive fresh bread station, and deserts to die for. Plus, I really love they had a resident chef preparing a dish at this one station on Saturday and Sunday. You could stand and watch, nibble on his/her creations, and ask questions. You could then take the recipe. All of our grocery stores in Charlotte are same old same old. Nothing fancy or different. I really wish we would push for something a little bit more upscale!

Harris Teeter is a wholy owned subsidary of the Ruddick Corporation which is based in the Charlotte metro. This is a fairly significant corporation and I would think that Kroger would have difficulty in attempting to take over Harris Teeter unless Ruddick was looking to get rid of it. (which I would find simply amazing)

....and my inside sources tell me that RDK is looking to dump HT. It's a drain on the overall performance of the company.

As I stated on another thread, I would look for Publix to acquire HT locations, if RDK does sell. Also, keeping in mind that Bi-Lo is now owned by Lone Star Equities...as a holding company, it too will be sold in time. To me, Kroger would be a more logical buyer in this case.

Publix & HT are more compatible in their target demographics, as are Bi-Lo & Kroger.

Bi-Lo has failed twice in the Charlotte market. (they completely pulled out of the market in the early 80s)

And Kroger has failed once in the CLT market. Closed all their newly built stores in the early 90's (maybe late 80s) I would think they might be hesitant to come back

I would not mind HT being taken over by Publix however. It is a better grocery store IMO.

Archived