IKEA

abbitt

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I simply don't understand the mentality behind condeming Walmart, but everybody loves a store that produces cheap generic looking disposible furniture that will end up in a landfill in a few years.

We are indeed fortunate in this area as very good quality furniture can be purchased in Hickory and High Point. Furniture that you might actually want to keep. Its better for the environment, better for the local economy, and better for your finances. (in the long term) Have people lost common sense to the mass merchandising machine? Where are the protests that Ikea is causing the "walmartization" of the furniture industry?

Tell me how Ikea is different from Walmart in what it does, except in that it has managed to fool what some would consider a "more educated" demographic. (common sense is another matter) And BTW, Are Ikea's meatballs made locally in the store from local ingredients?

While I don't totally disagree with your sentiment, metro, most things sold by IKEA are produced in Europe. EU laws guarantee that the cheap cabinets I might want to buywere made by someone over 18 who is earning a decent wage and has access to health care. That's a big contrast to Wal-Mart and its Southeast Asian sweatshops employing 13-year olds.

I agree that we're pawns to mass-market consumerism, but if I have a choice, I'll fight Wal-Mart before I fight IKEA.

Miesian - I agree, it's not what Wal Mart sells, it's how they sell it.

But otherwise, I do appreciate Ikea's value of 'design'.

Also, monsoon - you did make a good point I didn't consider, NC is already fortunate to be home to some of the finest furniture manufacturers & craftsmen. The only problem might be how affordable it is.

Actually that is not the case. While Ikea does employ people in europe, most of its employees are in Eastern Europe where benefits and wages don't come close to matching those in Western Europe. But we also have this.

In order to maintain cost leadership in the market, internal production efficiencies must be greater than that of competitors. Under Ikea's global strategy, suppliers are usually located in low-cost nations, with close proximity to raw-materials and reliable access to distribution channels. These suppliers produce highly standardized products intended for the global market, which size provides the firm with the opportunity take the advantage of economies of scale factors. Ikea's role is not only to globally integrate operations and centrally design products, but also to find an effective combination of low cost, standardization, technology, and quality.

In other words, slave labor.

And as I mentioned earlier, the environmental concerns with so many people buying disposible furniture is deplorable. Yet many people who love to hate Walmart have no problem with Ikea.

i'm not debating your point, monsoon, but just tempering it a bit... it is not literally slave labor, as that is banned globally, and places like sudan that still show evidence of it are constantly under scrutiny by the UN, etc. Also the ultra low wages in global terms, are often low from our perspective because of the currency exchange. In many cases, the "dollar a day" scenario in places like china or the third world often buys a decent life for them, as in their own currency, they can spend their [equivalent to a dollar] on acceptable life-sustaining goods and services.

That said, the lives in the third world are no where near the quality of life of much of the poorest in the US. On one hand, it is because they are more efficient people, not needing cars, (and so not needing pavement, gas, oil, and mechanics) air conditioning, and plumbing, etc. Now, nothing really proves that humans are inherently "worse" for not having those things. And in many cases, international companies that pay what looks like to us as "slave wages", actually represent an improvement over what is otherwise available to those people.

that said, i agree with you, ikea has a brand image somehow of being a socially just company, so the notion that their prices are based on the use of ultra cheap labor is not good.

Actually slave labor DOES still exist, it has just become more sophisticated. New forms of debt bondage create lifetime workers who are often beaten or killed if they try and escape. Southeast Asia is struggling with problem currently.

The main difference between Ikea and Walmart is wages. Ikea employees make a decent wage, as opposed to Walmart's poverty wages. The furniture at Ikea is also MUCH higher quality than that of Walmart or Target.

A valid point, and perhaps Walmart has wrongly been stereotyped as the ultimate bad corporate citizen. But beyond cheap labor, my other concerns with Walmart are:

Not being a good employer - reports of sexism, noncompliance with disability act, general mistreatment of employees.

Strong arming US companies - forcing smaller companies into unprofitable prices in order to continue being sold in stores. Resulting in either, business or plant closure or most often - at Walmart's incistence - moving plant operations overseas.

Predatory business practices - competing directly with local businesses by artificially lowering prices in order to force them out of business. Thus influencing the desertion of a town's downtown, either by directly competing them out of business or promoting the suburban edge to be the new shopping center of the town. Afterwards, Walmart's price would resume to a normal level after the competition is dead.

Naturally, you could say any company does any of these things - but my point is Walmart does all so very well. Walmart receives much of the blame b/c they have influenced most other companies in following these procedures in order to stay competitive. Additionally, remembering the 'We buy American products' campaign in the late 80's & only to see them completely reverse their policy has left some bad feelings for many.

The main difference between Ikea and Walmart is wages.  Ikea employees make a decent wage, as opposed to Walmart's poverty wages.    The furniture at Ikea is also MUCH higher quality than that of  Walmart or Target.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have proof of the wages thing or is this an assumption?

And I don't think any furniture that you get in a cardboard box that you assemble yourself would be considered high quality furniture. It still ends up in a landfill in a few years which is very bad for the environment. Even their latest commercial seems to make it cool to throw away good working items. (the lamp placed on the curb for the trash) Ikea seems to have done an excellent job at selling trendiness and fads, but the end result is the same as Walmart.

People who shop and worship Ikea and their meatballs have no moral ground over those who shop at Walmart and buy their frozen meatballs.

i've put together furniture myself, and i'd consider that low quality slave labor.  And it is pure torture when you realize you put one piece on upside down.  Pure torture.  What is the phone number for Amnesty?

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) Someone call Bono!

But as for a personal view on Ikea - I've been to the one in San Diego and of course we've shopped through their catalog. What I like the most about Ikea isn't the furniture, it's the house accessories. In fact, I doubt we will ever buy furniture, but just buy accessories - the selection is so immense that we've found items we have not been able to locate else where.

Well to quit beating up on Ikea, here is my recommendation for you guys that are just starting out and need to furnish a place.

Go to the estate auctions.

You will get really high quality furniture for pennys on the dollar and most times this stuff is higher quality than you can buy anywhere these days. And there are many other things you can get at these auctions that are great for putting a household together. They are a lot of fun and you will save a huge amount of money.

Don't wont to get into a political debate,but olbviously many of you haven't been to third world countries like I have. If you had you would reralize that the exploitation that we are criticizing is actually keeping the young mother off of the streets and the children from begging and starving. If you really care about poor people, you should realize that they have a hell of a lot more than they would have in these third world countries because of the countries that use cheap third world labor.

Just to comment on how affordable good furniture can be in NC I went to the Thomasville outlet about a year ago. They had stacks of headboards proped against a wall with a sign saying $200.00. The same was true with a whole slew of solid wood coffee tables $200.00. This was Thomasville furniture, furniture that will last you through the rest of your life and then some.

yo! check it. i say to heck with both of them. keep your big boxes. while i do agree that IKEA has some consideration (far more than wal-mart) for smart design, it still puts their stores in urban "crap" boxes. i mean the way monsoon talks about their furniture is the way i feel about the freakin' big box. it is meant to be cheap (affordable) and able to serve IT'S purpose. henceforth, creating an urban "landfill". rarely, do these things really consider the long-term impact on the neighborhoods they are going into. i think these pimp companies should build with more social scrupples. give us well designed, and well built...and something meant for permanence. sure, it will cost plenty more to start up, but i believe the rewards will be reaped. not to mention the property (building) will not lose value...but gain. my friends! when the road of business meets the boulevard of social conscience ....thus begins harmony.

I agree cinco. The new store in ATL is a prime example of a big box that pays no attention to anything around it.

Larry, I have travelled quite a bit and have been to a good many countries in the Third World. While you are right on target with the fact that jobs are hard to come by and these poor folks are thrilled to have employment, we are responsible for their dismal working conditions. It is (mostly) American consumers who push for cheaper goods, thus keeping these people in their sweatshops.

I've said this before, we should not bemoan the loss of textile jobs here in the Carolinas when so many (here) would pass over a pillow case made at Springs Industries in Ft Mill to buy the cheaper one made somewhere in Southeast Asia.

what about on top of lowes in southend? That would put it in with the other modern/trendy furniture stores. perhaps a true parking deck could be used, and insead of having rooftop parking, they'd have another store on their (lowe's) rooftop).

Or they could go on the other side of iverson, or at the corner of ideal and remount.

Why would anyone want to buy cardboard box furniture when north carolina is the best place in the country to get affordable, well put together furniture? Not to mention when you buy furniture made in NC, you are supporting those manufacturing jobs that we are losing at a rapid pace.

Why would anyone want to buy cardboard box furniture when north carolina is the best place in the country to get affordable, well put together furniture? Not to mention when you buy furniture made in NC, you are supporting those manufacturing jobs that we are losing at a rapid pace.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The trendy people as depicted in the IKEA commercials.

"Why would anyone want to buy cardboard box furniture when north carolina is the best place in the country to get affordable, well put together furniture? Not to mention when you buy furniture made in NC, you are supporting those manufacturing jobs that we are losing at a rapid pace."

Because the furniture made in NC looks horrible.

target sells some modern furniture that is cheap and trendy like ikea's and it is made by a division of thomasville (an nc furniture maker). Not only is it sold as parts (ie. assembled in usa by customer), but the wood and metal parts are likely created in a similar envrionment to ikea's stuff... not in north carolina.

this furniture is definitely for the small-unit young urban crowd. The designs help support the process of surviving in a much smaller unit. NC furniture is made for a US lifestyle... ikea furtniture is made for a erupean lifestyle. But downtowns and urban places in us are more like europe.

Archived