IKEA

abbitt

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you predict it would go? I have a friend who works at IKEA in Woodbridge and he said Charlotte was on the map a few years ago and then the expansion never happened, but I guess it's on again.

I truly hope it goes in Uptown, but if not Uptown than would love to see something with Grubb in the Elizabeth area.

A2

(I think South Park will actually lose out on this one. I don't know why I think this, just do. ;) IKEA's seem to have a moreUrban flare than your typical furniture store at the mall.)

I think we threw around sites a couple of months ago, but my opinion, the best intown site would be in the little wedge south or Morehead still inside the loop. Other than that, I see them going to Exit 18 on I-77.

It's hard to figure where IKEA's go - they don't seem to have a consistant site location plan. They do either locate in a mixed use project (Atlantic Station in Atlanta), a suburban location (San Diego) or exurban location (Plano or McAllen - or some other suburb - outside of Dallas). I've been researching to find out if they are building in Denver some time & did come across a plan to build one in an outer suburb 2 years ago which fell apart. Now there have been at least one report of a large mixed use project that could incorporate IKEA as the anchor.

In my view that might be the most promising lure to attract IKEA's to a city center, with a major mixed-use project. Otherwise, IKEA does appear as satisfied with building far outside the city as inside. That might be the greatest concern if IKEA is interested in a Charlotte location serving the greater central Carolina region.

Notice how almost EVERY Ikea is located off of a major interstate. For example all the ones on the east coast except for Atlanta are located directly or a few miles off from I-95. Still in Atlanta they are located off of a major route (I-75/I-85). They do this because they like road frontage and proximity so their trucks can see where to go. Plus the fact that it makes it easier for the trucks to get there so they don't have to go around in neighborhoods and mazes of roads. So I would expect Ikea to be DIRECTLY placed off of I-77 or I-85. If it were to go on I-77 then I would expect it to go maybe near Northlake or further down near I-485 or Carowinds. If it were to go on I-85 then it would probably go near Concord Mills, City Blvd, or out west near the future interchange with I-485 near the Catawba River. The area near Concord Mills is to built out so that really isn't logical but IF City Blvd hasn't developed that much from just the Google Earth Image I saw then It would have plenty of room for an Ikea there and it could possibly revive the University City area. Also they like to be placed near universitys sometimes. In Atlanta they're right near Georgia Tech, in College Park, MD they are right near Univ. of Maryland, and in Woodbridge, VA they are right near George Mason Univ. So with all this "data" I would consder someplace off of I-85 near Concord Mills, City Blvd, Harris Blvd, or University City to be where Ikea ends up.

(Oh I love their furniture by the way, can't wait to come down from Winston to shop!)

Well, the plan for City Blvd is to block off that land near the interchange, and make the boulevard limited access. That would limit its ability to house an IKEA. I'm not so sure U-City has the image that IKEA would like.

I think it is entirely possible that they'd locate near Pineville. Not only would they have access to all the South Charlotte people, they'd be near interstates and the LRT line, and be near all those other furniture stores.

It sure would be nice, though, if they located in town somewhere.

I'm not sure if I was clear, but I think the DOTs are doing everything they can to avoid large retail to go on City Blvd. They plan to disallow driveways, and that pretty much precludes the chances for a Costco or an IKEA. They might be able to cut into Tryon, but somehow, that seems inconvenient from 85, so I'm no sure that would be the place they choose.

As I stated before IKEA is not going to want a location "off the beaten path." So that excludes I-485 and basically all points inward from the beltway. I agree with you dubone on how it will be in south Charlotte or Mecklenburg County but if it were to go in southern Charlotte then I would expect it to placed around the I-77/I-485 interchange around Arrowood Rd, Nations Ford, or Tyvola maybe. I am just leaning more towards I-85 because it is a more traveled route than I-77 and you have more thru traffic coming through on the way to Atlanta and to the Triad and Triangle. IKEA likes to be in the heart of things when they locate off of interstates. Given their usual planning they will want to be in the heart of an established shopping area or on a well traveled signed US or state route such as Hwy 21 or Hwy 29 and IKEA also likes heavily traveled local roads such as for example Harris Blvd. So this excludes small roads. They will also want to locate near decent demographic areas such as middle-class or above. I really don't see IKEA locating outside of Mecklenburg County but it is a possiblity. If they were to do that then the most logical location would be the Concord Mills area. I now think that north or northeast Charlotte would be the place where they land. I would say that Northlake would be the location but with Eastland's demographic changing over to Eastland it may be a toss up on whether it goes there or not. So my guess would be maybe Northlake but they may surprise us and open up in Midtown. I would really like to say the Elizabeth/Dilworth area but I think they would throw a hissy fit over it. I would like to see them in the new Midtown Square but that I think is a pipe-dream but you never know.

No way it'd go off Arrowood, Nations Ford or Tyvola. Those areas are not majorly retail-centric. Plus those areas aren't the "middle class or above" locations as you mentioned. I would say Concord Mills because the one in Woodbridge is located across Potomac Mills.

Well I kind of figured those location considering their proximity to I-485/I-77. But now that I think about it Elizabeth, Dilworth, and surrounding areas look more and more enticing for an IKEA location.

Are you serious? Where would a big box go in Elizabeth or Dilworth, even if they were zoned for that, which I'm sure they aren't. Can you imagine the uproar from the DC if they announced that a big box store centered in a sea of parking lot were coming to the neighborhood? Unless, of course, they tried what Lowe's is doing off of South Blvd... some kind of "wrapped and hidden" store attempting to blend into the neighborhood, but I don't believe any IKEA is like that.

Yeah, the intersection of 485/77 is pretty much a wasteland... no way it'd go there. My money's on the Carolina Place/South Charlotte area too.

Are you serious? Where would a big box go in Elizabeth or Dilworth, even if they were zoned for that, which I'm sure they aren't. Can you imagine the uproar from the DC if they announced that a big box store centered in a sea of parking lot were coming to the neighborhood? Unless, of course, they tried what Lowe's is doing off of South Blvd... some kind of "wrapped and hidden" store attempting to blend into the neighborhood, but I don't believe any IKEA is like that.

Yeah, the intersection of 485/77 is pretty much a wasteland... no way it'd go there. My money's on the Carolina Place/South Charlotte area too.

Well I would faith in Ikea IF they picked the Dilworth/Elizabeth area. See the Ikea in Atlanta has hardly any ground level or better known as surface lot parking. They have 3 floors of underground parking plus maybe 30-35 surface lots and those are only for handicap customers and for loading. I could realistically see Ikea between E. Independence Blvd, Kings Dr, 3rd St, and I-277. Now mind you I don't live in the Charlotte area so I am not really familiar with this certain area. But I could really see it IF they did it right.

Well there are some great spots in Dilworth, if we wipe out 6 blocks of those pesky century-old Arts&Crafts bungalows littering the landscape, and those 100' tall willow oak weeds. It'll really help turn the neighborhood around :).

Archived