IKEA

abbitt

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember right, they don't usually go in shopping centers. They are more like warehouses, going mostly on their own.

Also, they'll almost certainly prefer to be accessible to through traffic on an interstate. SE Meck doesn't really count for that.

I'd really hope for them to do parking on the roof, like Lowe's is doing. That really shouldn't be rocket science to do in this day and age. They are so huge and the amount of parking just makes them a mega-sprawling box.

Just to get 300000 sq ft is roughly 4 city blocks downtown, then to add a crazy amount of parking. So, no, there are really no spots downtown (now that the Coffee Cup at Morehead and Cedar is taken) to fit this.

I have thought the large spot on the NE corner of Kings and Independence would be another good spot for big box retail, but a 300ksf box would not fit on this section, even with rooftop parking. Potentially they could fit here at Statesville and Woodward if they are interested in a downtown location, but I actually think that site is in business.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...16&scene=341914

Bottom line, it'll be hard to go near downtown, so unless they go along Freedom or Wilkinson in an empty big box location, they'll be more likely to end up in the suburbs or near the airport.

See those are two good examples that cantnot provided. An Ikea can have a sprawling parking lot or have a small one like the one in Woodbridge,VA. The one in Atlanta has 3 levels of underground parking. Yet others have HUGE parking lots. This is what I meant when I said I could see it POSSIBLY in the Dilworth/Elizabeth area. I didn't mean necessarily cut down all of those historic houses and nice treelined streets dubone. :lol: But, I was thinking they could be another anchor to Midtown Square. I am going down to Atlanta tomorrow so I'll ask for some info about the new Charlotte location when I go to their Ikea.

That is excellent if they are willing to do a two level store and underground parking! Maybe they could locate in midtown near Expo, Target, and BestBuy. It would be visible from the interstate, although that particular interstate doesn't not have as much interregional through traffic.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...sale%20by%20FMK

That is excellent if they are willing to do a two level store and underground parking! Maybe they could locate in midtown near Expo, Target, and BestBuy. It would be visible from the interstate, although that particular interstate doesn't not have as much interregional through traffic.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...sale%20by%20FMK

I would love to see that!

Edit: And yes, the IKEA In Woodbridge has the parking deck under the store

I simply don't understand the appeal of a place that sells furniture that will be sold at yard sales in a few years.

Well monsoon, people have different tastes in furinture and styles. :) I for one like the styles that Ikea offers and even though it may not be the best built it is affordable and you get what you pay for with it. I rarely see any people who sell Ikea items let alone furniture at "yard-sales." Now I don't mean this out of rudeness, lets say you were in college and you had to work two jobs to fund your tuition. Would you a) go buy nice quality furniture at a Thomasville outlet knowing that you will have parties and the stuff would get dinged and knicked up or b) go to Ikea and pay half of what you would at Thomasville and get nice-looking furniture that is made pretty decent and still have enough money left over to get some accessories. I will agree with you that the furniture isn't top-notch quality but it is still decent stuff. I would go and buy well-made furniture at one of our many outlets or stores but I don't have that type of budget to go out and spend $950 on a leather sofa when I can go to Ikea and pay $450 for a leather sofa that cad fold out into a bed also. Many people like the uniqueness of the furniture Ikea offers. The furniture they offer has many different uses. Like I said how a couch can turn into a bed. Even though we already know a couch can do that. Plus a bed that already has a trundle underneath for about $200. Plus most of all the stuff looks modern. Some people prefer modern over classic and traditional.

Well actually I did put myself through college and yes indeed money was very tight. I bought furniture at yard sales as wasting my money at IKEA would not have been something that I would have considered at the time. I had other priorities such as paying rent, tuition, and possibly something to eat every now and then.

as a renter and a student I have lots of furniture from ikea, some lamps, a kitchen table, a entertainment center that has held up the weight of a 42 inch tv I worked my ass off to buy, a desk that holds two monitors and all my computer stuff which I also worked my ass of to buy, the rest of the stuff I designed and built by hand, I also have a couple sculptures and stuff from ikea, everytime I would go up to DC I was always excited to go to ikea, it was one of my favourite things of the weekend, that I was there, and when I went to atlanta I made a point to go to atlantic station and visit ikea

Archived