IKEA

abbitt

Ultimately it is up to the company, better to ask them, though as pointed out, it could be the strength of competition of furniture in the area, or just simple metro area statistics (other than population) that they do not like. I agree that we should not give them incentives to move here. I own Ikea furniture from my college days and I still own a few pieces, so I have no real negative opinion of them, I had no money and they were what I could afford, but I could care less if they come here, after all, you can just order the stuff if you want it that badly.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultimately it is up to the company, better to ask them, though as pointed out, it could be the strength of competition of furniture in the area, or just simple metro area statistics (other than population) that they do not like. I agree that we should not give them incentives to move here. I own Ikea furniture from my college days and I still own a few pieces, so I have no real negative opinion of them, I had no money and they were what I could afford, but I could care less if they come here, after all, you can just order the stuff if you want it that badly.

I guess it depends on what exactly you are ordering, I've ordered replacement parts from them twice that didn't cost all that much, though it wasn't a new dresser or couch, etc.

This will reflect some bias, but if you are talking about the larger/heavier items of furniture, and can buy for the longterm in which case the cost can be cheaper when time is factored in, better not to go with their furniture, it doesn't hold up well. Even their old commercials where they "pumped" their Choang (sp.?) chair to show how sturdy and durable it is were ominous [to me] in that they were focusing on one of their smaller less risky items...

^OK, I see this could go back and forth forever, your own experiences obviously can not be disputed, however my Ikea furniture (other than my Choang chair and filing cabinet) through my kind of wear and tear have not held up, nor should they have, you get what you pay for. The bookcase was particle board and chipped excessively over time, and the backboard became useless because the back edge it attaches to deteriorated. I have gone through two of their futons. Slats break, connection point holes deteriorate, can't use it anymore after you drill enough new holes and fill/tape the old ones. The desk - it was laughable, it collapsed eventually. I bought a cool aluminum 20x30 picture/photo from them, one day after a couple of years something gave way internally and the frame peeled away and the sheet of glass fell and shattered. I think I'm most pissed about that more than anything. And in case you might be wondering, I take care of my things, though other people cannot always be helped, but furniture of a certain grade should be expected to handle a certain amount of "life". Like I said, I have no real negative opinion of the place, but it ain't upper end. And I would probably even go back if one were nearby because they have extremely large area carpets/rugs, which I have needed recently, but there are a number of places that carry those as well, perhaps not quite as large, but still almost a commodity item speaking of textiles...

Archived