Medical Towers on Michigan

mgreven

They were talking on WOOD radio yesterday about the Devos-Christman medical towers that will replace the Towers Building. It sounded like it was going to the planning commission. Anyone know any more details or have seen any renderings? Wouldn't it be great to see four big towers up on the hill with street level retail to service that growing area?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were talking on WOOD radio yesterday about the Devos-Christman medical towers that will replace the Towers Building.  It sounded like it was going to the planning commission.  Anyone know any more details or have seen any renderings?  Wouldn't it be great to see four big towers up on the hill with street level retail to service that growing area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats good news, its been known for a while that towers was going to be demolished, but no concrete plans were set as far as I know, until now.

Designcritic,

How tall are they? Last I heard they weren't going to be that tall (5 stories) but that the overall effect of four would give it scale. On that hill, they could give it a really nice cascading effect.

I can't wait to see it.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The buildings looked to be 5-7 stories sitting on top of a cascading parking ramp. The design is very nice and I think it will fit in great with the area. The site is very complex seeing it slopes so much from Coit down to Division.

Yah Peter Ross does the Desk sometimes, Watch him on PBS WGVU 35 every friday at 9:30 for this show called West Michigan Weekly, they usually talk about downtown development and other topics related to it.

Yah Peter Ross does the Desk sometimes, Watch him on PBS WGVU 35 every friday at 9:30 for this show called West Michigan Weekly, they usually talk about downtown development and other topics related to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sweet I will look into that

I have seen a rendering of this project online somewhere (grpress, woodtv8, etc.) but cannot find it now. It showed a South elevation with the towers on top of the parking ramp. That would be great if someone better equipped than me could find it again.

I am very hopeful at what the development of the medical hill will bring to Grand Rapids' economy. Spectrum anticipates to be a nationally recognized medical leader by the year 2010. That's quite a goal, but they have already made such great strides that it may not seem that far off. In addition to the development of the four medical towers, they are planning on renovating several older sites.

I am optimistic that having health and medicine as our source industry rather than its diminishing furniture counterpart will give Grand Rapids a much needed economic facelift.

L.M. Bach,

I agree. What I am even more excited about is the possible private investment that may occur to be close to the research. The brainpower that it will bring to the city is nice as well.

Joe

I am very hopeful at what the development of the medical hill will bring to Grand Rapids' economy.  Spectrum anticipates to be a nationally recognized medical leader by the year 2010.  That's quite a goal, but they have already made such great strides that it may not seem that far off.  In addition to the development of the four medical towers, they are planning on renovating several older sites. 

I am optimistic that having health and medicine as our source industry rather than its diminishing furniture counterpart will give Grand Rapids a much needed economic facelift.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am also excited about the possibilities of tieing our manufacturing expertise in with the medical industry. Cascase Engineering has started to do this and I think it is an industry that could flourish. This alone could help save West Michigan's manufacturing base.

Joe

I am very hopeful at what the development of the medical hill will bring to Grand Rapids' economy.  Spectrum anticipates to be a nationally recognized medical leader by the year 2010.  That's quite a goal, but they have already made such great strides that it may not seem that far off.  In addition to the development of the four medical towers, they are planning on renovating several older sites. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rezoning recommended

Friday, May 27, 2005

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- The Grand Rapids Planning Commission on Thursday recommended rezoning property at 121 and 145 Michigan Street NE for an estimated $97 million, four-tower medical research complex. Plans for the project are to be considered by the Planning Commission on June 9, but developers wanted to get the rezoning approved so they could get their full proposal before the City Commission by the end of June. The project includes a cancer center Spectrum Health plans to build, and an office building to replace the Medical Towers Building, which will be demolished. Plans also call for offices to serve doctors based at a new DeVos Children's Hospital.

I hope they do something creative and don't try to match Spectrum. The heart center looks nice, but the rest of it is pretty darn ugly.

Hopefully a rendering will leak before June 9th. I wonder if the Med School will announce anything around that time. ;)

Joe

Archived