Days Inn Downtown Grand Rapids

Rizzo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only we can get Sullivan to blow up his Days Inn and build something to make it look like your going through a 131 corridor...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wonder what it would have looked like if they had built it as a Sheraton, which was the original plan. I believe the original plan called for a much larger structure.

If only we can get Sullivan to blow up his Days Inn and build something to make it look like your going through a 131 corridor...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rizz:

Don't you find it just a little bit STUPID that Sullivan was complaining about Alticor getting the tax breaks for the Marriott Tower and its environs when he could have just as easily shown up to the City Commission with a world-class plan of his own to either expand vertically the Days Inn or outright demolish the eyesore, contract with a Four Seasons, Hilton, Westin - ANY CHAIN THAT HAS SOME CLASS - and construct his own beauty of a highrise hotel? He struck me as a small-spirited, non-imagination-having little man whose little hotel - ERROR - inn is being left behind by a progressive new Grand Rapids. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE WATCHING THE CONSERVATIVE OLD GUARD BEING LEFT IN THE DUST! :thumbsup::D:rofl:

Well, anytime a good Irish name comes up in GR i rather would not crap on his place, but this time Ill make an exception... :) I hate that building sooo much.... Its almost like driving down 28th

Don't you find it just a little bit STUPID that Sullivan was complaining about Alticor getting the tax breaks for the Marriott Tower and its environs when he could have just as easily shown up to the City Commission with a world-class plan of his own to either expand vertically the Days Inn or outright demolish the eyesore, contract with a Four Seasons, Hilton, Westin - ANY CHAIN THAT HAS SOME CLASS - and construct his own beauty of a highrise hotel? He struck me as a small-spirited, non-imagination-having little man whose little hotel - ERROR - inn is being left behind by a progressive new Grand Rapids. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE WATCHING THE CONSERVATIVE OLD GUARD BEING LEFT IN THE DUST!

That is a bit much.

He could not just do what you want. Location, location, location is key, and he does not have a great location.

In his defense, he has a somewhat valid argument - even though these government deals are becoming standard for almost every development. Furthermore, current occupancy rates would suggest that he is also correct. However, his plan of bussing people in is short sighted and poorly concieved.

Personally I have no problem with a guy trying to protect his ass. In this case that is all he is doing. If you built a hotel downtown and then ten years later someone else comes along and says - I am going to build a hotel, but I want government help - and they get it, you would be pissed. Odds are good that this may put him out of business. Should local government be in the business of offering preferential deals to certain developers?

When you say he should just build bigger, you are being out and out ignorant of the costs of development. Just to hire and architect in order to bring a plan to the commission would cost more than a million. On top of that, do we really need another paper tiger like Moch running around downtown? Sullivan is doing what he can to compete again the big boys.

Lastly, this deal is proof that the conservative old guard is still in control of the new 'progressive' Grand Rapids and will be as long as they have the money. Which in my opinion is good, because most real 'progressive' cities see little in terms of philanthropy.

One thing you have to remember about Bob Sullivan is that he is the same guy who sued the city because the museum blocked views of the river from his hotel. In my opinion he is an opportunist and has no real desire to help build the core city.

Joe

One thing you have to remember about Bob Sullivan is that he is the same guy who sued the city because the museum blocked views of the river from his hotel. In my opinion he is an opportunist and has no real desire to help build the core city.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your correct. He is not out to actually help build the city, but would rather operate on the same principals of the suburbs.

ONE:  You WATCH who you are calling ignorant or inferring to be ESPECIALLY when it is one of your forum peers who takes great care to be congenial with and among his other forum peers.

TWO:  The Deloitte & Touche study that pointed out the need for 1000 NEW downtown rooms IS NOT being satisfied by the new Marriott.  Specifically, the Marriott will still leave behind a 650 room unaddressed need deficit.  My ascersion was that Sullivan stop whining and take on some of that remaining deficit with a more world-class and attractive replacement of the Day Inn.

Enough said.  You know where I stand now and I have to believe that you will converse from here forward in a more appropriate manner.

PEACE.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to announce it, but we kinda went off topic :P if theres a mod willing to split the topic?

Split.

Let's keep the insults to a minimum. Joe Moch, Bob Sullivan and Voorhees are exempt from this rule ;) Debate is fine but leave the name calling out of it.

Thanks,

Joe

I hate to announce it, but we kinda went off topic :P if theres a mod willing to split the topic?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Split.

Let's keep the insults to a minimum. Joe Moch, Bob Sullivan and Voorhees are exempt from this rule ;) . . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joe:

The first part made me feel like this ----> :) ; the second part resulted in this ----> :rofl: . Leave it to you to make peace and levity on this UrbanPlanet. ;)

Archived