Tallahassee Performing Arts Center

Florida

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright... I was a little disappointed in the brown used in the previous facility and I knew they knew better than to go with that design, which is why I was so relieved to find this.

pa2.jpg

FSUmusicfacility.jpg

pa7.jpg

Much more inline with FSU architecture and more impressive in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

A committee today borded a bus to tour the sites suggested for the center. Among these sites were Frenchtown, Gaines Street, Near Civic Center, and can you believe this... the old Sunnyland Hotel. Now this hotel has been purchased by a private developer who someday hopes to do something with this property. But surely we don't need a performing arts center 3 miles outside of the downtown.

A downtown location is crucial. Im not picky about where downtown, there are several different locations, but the corner of Tennessee and Monroe sounds ever more sweet with each mention. Anymore thoughts?

A committee today borded a bus to tour the sites suggested for the center. Among these sites were Frenchtown, Gaines Street, Near Civic Center, and can you believe this... the old Sunnyland Hotel. Now this hotel has been purchased by a private developer who someday hopes to do something with this property. But surely we don't need a performing arts center 3 miles outside of the downtown.

A downtown location is crucial. Im not picky about where downtown, there are several different locations, but the corner of Tennessee and Monroe sounds ever more sweet with each mention. Anymore thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could live with Gaines Street or the Civic Center. I don't like any of the other locations mentioned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the Gaines Street and Civic Center locations. Not a fan of the others mentioned.

Although I favor the Tennessee and Monroe location, and the Gaines Street location, and the Frenchtown Location, and the Tennessee and MLK location, I must say there is one look that Im quite particular about. This building Im about to show is scaled down when compared to what a performing arts center really is, but it has the look I'd like to see... feel free to share your ideas of what the center should look like... here's mine...

This is a picture of the Radiology Clinic on Mahan I spied leaving the bank.

DS2_0136.jpg

That's how I kind of imagined it. I think the performing arts center would have lots of and lots of glass. I think the glass should be in a blue tint. Of course the facility would be a little bigger than the radiology clinic and it would also be noticeable. For the landscape their could be all kinds of things such as shaded oaks, sabal palms, dogwoods. Anything! I think the lighting posts should be either fancy or modern. I can just see it now :rolleyes:

Here are some of the lampost I would like to see

82.jpg

images.jpg

I think the second one should be a little more curvier and futuristic. I really like the first lampost. It is very fancy.

i think that fsu would enjoy a frenchtown center, but i think that tenn/n monroe would be much more visable than even the gaines street coridor. I think anything outside of downtown will recieve about 5 dozen raw eggs from me on completion to make sure they knew someone was unimpressed.. And wouldnt it be a nice venue for medium size graduations ( the civic center...blah) lets see about a building with an unneccisary architectural spire or something random that makes it stand out also... everything is supposed to reflect the tallahassee history, but lets face it, different is what makes a city an attraction. and for god's sake lets do this thing already... a bus tour... one small step for man... one giant leap for COT

• 1 month later...
:lol: You guys probaly already know this but did you know that the Monroe and Tennessee intersection is now listed as a possible site for the perfroming arts center? If my memory is serves me right I believe it is now down to Sunland, the civic center, railroad ave, and the intersection of monroe and tennesee. I hope monroe and tennessee is chosen. It would really define that area. I can see it now :wub:

I agree. The Mayor mentioned the corner of Tennessee and Monroe was recieving some attention from developers.. though it is my first choice as a locale for this, If a high-rise development were interested i would move the PAC to RR and the Gaines corridor. It is good to see more talk, it seems building comes in waves to tally- but this wave seems sustainable.

((i just showed these proposals to my mother <tallahassee native> and she is excited about it. she had no idea about it.))

^ I totally agree... I think the activity we have going on now is substantial. We've got to get the ball rolling with more Business towers, and hotels downtown... but I've been very happy to see people interested in just living there for now. I think this is one of those chicken egg things where you just really don't know which is best to have first. Having the people in the area after hours will surely bring a more vibrant nightlife to our city core, I'd like to see more of a restuarant boom downtown, everyone in the community would benifit from this, additionally, I'd like to see us bring back the horse drawn carriages, and historical tour trolleys.

I don't know if you remember, but we used to have the horse drawn trolley's downtown... and I believe there is a way you can still reserve one for a romantic ride if you want to pay the big bucks, but it'd be nice to have one or two in route downtown on a regular basis... they add charm.

• 1 month later...

Archived