Tallahassee Performing Arts Center

Florida

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they chose a great lot for this center's location. The only better choice in my opinion would have been the corner SE Corner of Tennessee and MLK (my opinion).

The lot immediately south of this site is the BEST REAL ESTATE IN TALLAHASSEE. I'll argue this with anyone.

• 5 weeks later...

From WCTV's website:

"........Leon County commissioners agreed to schedule a public hearing on bumping up the tourist development tax one more penny, which would put the tax at five cents per dollar.

Commissioners also accepted the recommendations of the Performing Arts Center committee, suggesting the building go up on what's now the John's Building Block in downtown Tallahassee."

I am in favor of both ideas. That's the best location IMO.

While I'm not a huge tax fan, but 1% more on the tourist tax is the best idea. It should help expedite the construction of the PAC to sometime in our life time. Our tourist industry is sort of a captive audience, many don't choose to come here like those on vacation, but come here for business mainly involving State Government. So I don't know many if any people that would say "Roger I'm cancelling your visit to Tally to lobby for our rights b/c Tally raised its hotel tax by 1%." The same could be said for the other segment of our tourist biz, the FSU/FAMU football and graduation crowd. Again I don't think many football fans would cancel their trips here b/c of the tax nor would parents miss out on their kid's graduation for it. There are a few options to stay in counties surrounding us (like off 10 in Gadsden or Jefferson) but driving that far to come to town would negate the cost of saving on the bed tax. Also hotels here in Tally are much cheaper than any of them in South FL especially during the high season. I'm not sure about the rest of the State's hotel cost.

Your thoughts? Good or bad idea and why?

If Tally were pro business and worked hard to increase private enterprise in town, I would be OK with this.

But IMHO, we have an anti business govt that raises taxes all the time.

As I have said before, I am going to vote against higher taxes every time in Leon County.

If Tally were pro business and worked hard to increase private enterprise in town, I would be OK with this.

As I have said before, I am going to vote against higher taxes every time in Leon County.

We don't get to vote on this one.

Just my experience, but as a small business owner who's biz has grown every year since moving up to Tally, I've found local gov. and The Chamber to be very helpful. Also I think having a PAC will help in some ways attract more businesses.

Bingo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no private investor stepped up to build this thing. If true that should tell us something.

It really doesn't tell me anything about the way private business view the leadership. I will be able to say a bit later on, after a plan and design have been secured as to wether or not this project has private support. I think a great idea for this would be selling sponsorships to the seats. Seems there will be 3500-4000 seats, everyone who donates $1000 could have their name, or company logo engraved on the back of a chair. That would raise roughly 3,500,000-4,000,000 others could donate more. City/County could offer tax credits to companies who make larger donations.

I believe that this PAC is a pipe dream and won't be constructed for years without the support of vibrant growing business community. Tallahassee has been so anti-business for so long that it has developed a reputation as being hostile to business interest. Most cities of similar size (i.e.) Montgomery, Al. are able to build their PAC because of the support of their business community. As I have mentioned in other threads, we need to get the word out that Tallaahssee is "OPEN FOR BUSINESS". It is the business community that makes it easier to procure capital for building PACs, getting professional sport teams, increase airport usage, and raise the quality of life in a region.

But I thought that you liked Tallahassee the way it was? Be careful what you ask for because too many businesses can turn Tallahassee into a New York City!

But I thought that you liked Tallahassee the way it was? Be careful what you ask for because too many businesses can turn Tallahassee into a New York City!

Is Raleigh New York City? Is Madison New York City? Is Austin New York City?

Nope.

I don't prefer the arch. style of a concrete jungle (although, FYI I lived in Mahattan for a year and enjoyed it....as I live in Tally now and enjoy it). Pro Business does not mean you prefer the arch style of sky scrapers.

You missed the period TJ. Arch. =architectural style

I'd definitely like Tally to be like those 3 cities that SJ mentioned; however I hear from people all the time in Austin and Raleigh say that their city has forgotten and lost its roots. Austin has even adopted it's unoffical slogan to be "Keep Austin Weird" which really is cry that its losing it's soul. Does Tally have a soul and if so exactly what is it?

The Montgomery PAC is being built w/private money, but won't be as big or nice as the one proposed for us. Many cities built them w/a combo of public and private funds like in Broward and Palm Beach. Our PAC should be a team effort between the universities and the city, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no private investor stepped up to build this thing. If true that should tell us something.

Perhaps that potential investors see no money in it? I'm personally opposed to public money being spent on a project like this. If there is money to be made in such a venture, why hasn't the private sector risen to invest in the project? I don't deny the value to the community that a performing arts center could have in Tallahassee, I just don't support the government funding it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My opinion tells me that its probably about the most realistic projection we will be getting. I would honestly not expect it a day sooner, and that is still a terribly long time away. We should have an exponentially increasing number of things to be excited about in the future that we will follow in the meantime though as Tallahassee grows.

Archived