Tallahassee Performing Arts Center

Florida

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know seminole as obvious as that statement now seems, I didn't think of it from that angle. Of course you are exactly right, that IS why they hired him. Did he officially accept the position?

The County Commission does need to quit delaying this 1% raise on the bed tax and just do it. I know the hotel commission in town is against it, but their defense is rather weak. They say it will make folks not wanna stay here. There's the beauty of our isolation....where else are they gonna stay? Marianna? Thomasville? The money they would save on the bed tax would be wasted in gas. Plus how often do you really notice the hotel tax and how much of a difference does that make to you when selecting a city to stay in? When I want to visit and tour a city, I do it w/out worrying about the bed tax and when I'm driving long distances on the Interstate, I surely don't decide where to sleep the night based on a local bed tax. This one IMHO is a no brainer...pass it.

You and I both will need special acoustics by the time this thing gets built. I want to see a nice design also and it doesn't take forever to make it happen. We all know the real reason for such a long delay - funding.

Now I know why Al Pasini was chosen to head the DIA. It will take a miracle "person" to raise all the funds necessary to bring about some of these downtown projects - including Cascades Park and Trail. Mega corporations in downtown would see a major benefit to a PAC, Cascades Park, revitalized Gaines Street, etc. and would be a major source for such funding. I suppose a Central Business District is too much to ask, especially for a city that can't work with a major economic engine such as FSU.

It's gonna take more than a city of small minds to bring in big city amenities.

"What if DeVoe would step up and instead of trying to show off his fortunes actually gave to the community in a way that would enhance his investments. "

Devoe just gave $25 Million to FSU and prior to that had given FSU another $5 Million or so. I do think that qualifies as giving back to the community. IE he is the largest donor to the largest local univesrity.

"What if DeVoe would step up and instead of trying to show off his fortunes actually gave to the community in a way that would enhance his investments. "

Devoe just gave $25 Million to FSU and prior to that had given FSU another $5 Million or so. I do think that qualifies as giving back to the community. IE he is the largest donor to the largest local univesrity.

Good list of businesses w/Tally roots guys. I knew of all them, but it is great to see them listed. Of course partnering w/FSU would have been the best and easiest route, but since that ain't gonna happen, we need to seek other avenues like private biz partnership. Now none of these businesses are of the caliber of Carnival or Knight-Ridder, but each could be approached to give considerable amounts that is for sure.

seminole, do you know if Al Pasini accepted the position at DIA or not yet? I've not heard/read anything.

As far as DeVoe goes, I believe he founded the Center for Economic Policy and Government in the School of Social Sciences and they named it after him, as they should w/that much money given. However if I remember correctly, they about lost that donation b/c of the demands DeVoe put on his money...right or not rightfully so. Luckily they solved this one for the best of the university, unlike in the Taxol case.

His first ~$5 Million to FSU was used for this

http://www.fsu.edu/~policy/

"The DeVoe L. Moore Center at Florida State University is an interdisciplinary unit in the College of Social Sciences that is dedicated to increasing knowledge and public understanding about the role of government in a market economy. The Center emphasizes the study of how government rules, regulations, and programs affect the economy and individuals. Bringing the insights of economics, political science, and public administration to the study of state and local regulations is a major focus of the Center's efforts.

Scholarly research of the Center faculty, faculty affiliates, and graduate students is designed to generate knowledge that is integrated into innovative undergraduate and graduate teaching. The Center's educational mission extends to outreach activities that inform elected officials, the academic community, and the general public about perspectives that clarify the role of local, state, and national government in the economy and economic outcomes related to individual income, employment and other measures of socioeconomic standing such as housing affordability.

The Center was founded in 1998 as the result of a gift from DeVoe L. Moore, an entrepreneur and benefactor committed to free enterprise."

http://www.fsu.edu/~fstime/FS-Times/Volume...7web/june7.html

"DeVoe Moore, an outspoken, strong-willed and hard-working entrepreneur and philanthropist, has given $5 million to Florida State University (matching state money will bring it to $10 million) to spread his philosophy that government bureaucracy is killing private enterprise."

http://www.fsu.edu/~fstime/FS-Times/Nov05.pdf

"This past September, Moore,

along with his wife, Shirley, and

their daughters, Katherine and

Tiffany, committed a $25-million

gift to FSU, earmarked for both

the university

Kudos to DeVoe for sure!!!! I just wish so much of his money had not gone to athletics, but hey it's his hard earned money and he has a right to spend it as he wants. But I do recall that first gift of his was a real squabble and I don't think TK was in charge then I believe it was during Sandy's tenure as prez.

But do we really want University and Government sponsors for this center? I think the Business sponsorship would give this center a feel lacking in this community, the freedom to break outside the box, and do more with less regulation of how the funds will be spent.

I just wouldn't consider FSU a corporate sponsor, although they have spun off some decent companies.

For those who didn't read my post concerning Miami's PAC. Then maybe you will read what's happening in Orlando - their PAC just received a major funder. The lack of vision here in Tallahassee just makes me sick. This is the reason I rant and rave about the development of a Central Business District in our downtown because wishing for big city amenities (folks) won't get us there. We need major corporate sponsorship!!!!!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...eadlines-orange

For those who didn't read my post concerning Miami's PAC. Then maybe you will read what's happening in Orlando - their PAC just received a major funder. The lack of vision here in Tallahassee just makes me sick. This is the reason I rant and rave about the development of a Central Business District in our downtown because wishing for big city amenities (folks) won't get us there. We need major corporate sponsorship!!!!!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...eadlines-orange

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished watching the circus that we call the County Commission Meeting on the vote for the additional bed tax for the PAC. After tons of speakers, most for it, and much discussion by the Board, the motion was to postpone the vote until the next meeting.

Why? Because it takes a super majority of the commissioners to pass this. Jane Sauls was sick and not at the meeting, however it still would have taken 5 yes votes for it to pass. Those voting No were Depuy and Proctor. DePuy wants to put it to a public referendum and tried to make a motion as such, but only Proctor would vote for that idea. Proctor is against it, but as you guys know w/Proctor it is often hard to make heads and tails of what he is saying. To me and yes I am biased on this, it all sounds like "blah blah blah, They IS, blah blah blah blah, Ain't got no, blah blah blah......." In the most educated county in FL, you'd hope our leaders could at least have correct verb and subject agreement, but clearly this is not the case. Anyway, Proctor seemed to tie it all back to the health tax not being passed.

Dailey, who every time I watch the commission impresses me more w/this intellect, seems to be a strong supporter of this idea and tried every trick he could think of to get a vote out tonight and linked a referendum to more monetary cost of this issue. Anyway all of his ideas could not be supported by legal, so in a subsequent motion, they approved voting at the next meeting on this idea. Of course DePuy and Proctor voted against this subsequent motion.

So on 2.27 (no public hearing, just discussion and a vote) if this idea is to be passed, it will need a super majority which is 5 yea votes no matter how many commissioners are present. Looks like the fate of the PAC at the Gaines Street locale rest on the shoulders of the gal from Fort Braden.

If I got something wrong or left something out that you saw or read about this, feel free to add it.

Archived