Tallahassee Performing Arts Center

Florida

As always SJ, I understand your point.

I'd still like to find out about the cost of PAC's in similar size metros b/c that price sounds more like a Miami or L.A. size PAC than a mid-metro size PAC.

Here's a link to a nice PAC and science center in a metro and city smaller than ours that is losing population or just remaining stable..Charleston, WV. It was built mainly w/private funds from the Clay foundation to prove SJ's point. :)

The Clay Center

• 2 months later...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

This still seems to be the communities biggest blunder... or maybe its not.

We seem to have enough smaller venues.... maybe someone is slacking on booking talent?

Whatever it is, This should have been fast tracked and pushed to the front...

This still seems to be the communities biggest blunder... or maybe its not.

We seem to have enough smaller venues.... maybe someone is slacking on booking talent?

Whatever it is, This should have been fast tracked and pushed to the front...

Maybe its just us. But the last couple of performances I've seen at RD, the place has been less than half full...and one of them was on an opening night. Could have just been a coincidence both times though?

I agree about the Civic Center. I dont like to see broadway performances at the Tucker Center for the same reasons you say. The acoustics truly are horrible there. I wonder if thats why we dont get any concerts here anymore also?

GG you got me to thinking about the performances I've seen recently at Ruby Diamond. Most of the national acts I've seen, affiliated with or not with 7 Days and have been or almost been sold out. These include Keb Mo', Buddy Guy, Salman Rushdie and George Carlin. The local/FSU performances I've seen generally have less attendance such as FSU Opera and the Tally Symphony. Has this been the case w/you or not?

^ Sorry for the delay, Poonther. GG had to take a couple of days and go to Margaritaville :)

Yes, what you said has been the case. The cases of poor attendances were all with the Tallahassee ballet and symphony. The 7 Days performances that I have seen have always had good showings.

• 1 month later...

As you all know, there's been a lot about our proposed PAC in the news lately. It seems that the Johns Building will be coming down. I think that no matter how you feel about the PAC, the demolition of this building is a good thing. It was a small and dated building and even if the PAC isn't built on this site, it could open it up to newer downtown development should the PAC fail.

Last night I caught a commercial about the PAC on the WCTV at 11pm. Has anyone else seen that commercial? The proposed name of the PAC I believe is The Florida Center. I like the name!

PAC Website I went here looking for a copy of that commercial, but it was not posted it here. :(

As you all know, there's been a lot about our proposed PAC in the news lately. It seems that the Johns Building will be coming down. I think that no matter how you feel about the PAC, the demolition of this building is a good thing. It was a small and dated building and even if the PAC isn't built on this site, it could open it up to newer downtown development should the PAC fail.

Last night I caught a commercial about the PAC on the WCTV at 11pm. Has anyone else seen that commercial? The proposed name of the PAC I believe is The Florida Center. I like the name!

PAC Website I went here looking for a copy of that commercial, but it was not posted it here. :(

• 2 months later...

^SPC I've been in the Johns bldg. a few times and it really was an old and dated building.....and dated in the bad way, not the good way. :) So I don't think as it is/was, the building could be used for much. Tearing it down is fine w/me. I remember hearing at a few of my Gaines Street meetings about investors possibly interested in that site for a hotel before the PAC eye'd it. So if the PAC isn't built, hopefully there will still be interest in that parcel from the private sector and it should be easier to market when it's vacant don't you think?

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Johns and Clemons building will be coming down on Tuesday October 28 @ Noon. The Florida Center (that's the PAC) will be having a ceremony for this occasion at the demolition site.

The Florida Center has updated their website:

The Florida Center

They also seem to have an office now donated by Wood + Partners which is on South Copeland at Madison.

Archived