Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A rail spur is just a small rarely used railroad line that branches off from the main line. Just south of Gaines, there was one that branched off from the main line to serve all the old warehouses, on the south side and north side of Gaines. For the past couple of years, it was just used to store un-used frieght cars.

Here's some pics taken around the Gaines Street corridor, on May 14, 2005. There's still a somewhat significant amount of historic industrial buildings that would make great adaptive re-use projects. These buildings represent whats still left in the area.

cocacola2fc.jpg

cowhaus6sq.jpg

thewarehouse0gl.jpg

I never noticed this mural before. BTW, is this considered tatoo row now?

railroadgaines5ck.jpg

I found these restaurants to be pretty interesting, because they actually renovated an auto repair shop and metal building for their uses. A dense collection of businesses like this, mixed in with infill projects (like the Marriott) will combine to create a great unique setting and pedestrian friendly atmosphere, for the corridor.

railroaddining9rp.jpg

Nice Pics Lakelander. I want to know when this "supposed" Gaines Street reconstruction will take place. Someone said they will build a hotel on the northwest corner of Gaines and Railroad, but that piece of overgrown land looks the same as it has since I've lived here in the Fall of 99. I see no new fences going up on this property. Gaines street itself has been talked about for some time, but I see nothing to indicate this will happen soon. Who is getting this info that all of a sudden they are starting soon? I would like to know.

<---- i AM... a new hotel project for the intersection of Gaines and Railroad is about to break ground soon. The hotel you are referring to, the one that has been in talks for years in the Marriott Convention center located at the civic center. This is a new concept. For more information see New Marriott Coming 2006! under Tallahassee-Panhandle.

<---- i AM... a new hotel project for the intersection of Gaines and Railroad is about to break ground soon. The hotel you are referring to, the one that has been in talks for years in the Marriott Convention center located at the civic center. This is a new concept.  For more information see New Marriott Coming 2006! under Tallahassee-Panhandle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. About the one in the Civic Center parking lot, can you explain how that would work? Where would people park? A big parking garage to be built to accomodate the Civic Center and Hotel? I've never heard of this tactic of building in another still existing property's parking lot.

If it is ever built, the parking would be underground like that at Kleman Plaza (Capital Commons), its cost would be $8,000,000. It would be big enough to accomodate Convetion Hotel and Civic Center. The parking lot was originally designed to be home to a performing arts center, so ample space was left for a large building.

Talks have resurfaced about putting the new performing arts center near the Civic Center, possibly in this same spot.

Posted on Thu, May. 26, 2005

City plans to buy state land on Gaines

It's part of plan for shopping district

By Todd Wright

DEMOCRAT® STAFF WRITER

The Tallahassee City Commission laid the ground work Wednesday for yet another real-estate transaction on Gaines Street, approving a resolution that could net the city another five acres of land on the corridor. The state is selling several properties, and the city is particularly interested in buying two of them, known as the Chevron Block and the Johns and Clemons buildings, located on the eastern end of Gaines.

The city has the inside track on the properties and hopes to add the five acres to its portfolio by the end of the year. If purchased, the city would own about 27 acres on the corridor, which is expected to be sold to developers to help transform the area into a shopping and entertainment district. Commissioners also approved staff to begin soliciting ideas from developers who might be interested in the city's properties.

"This is like the first piece of the puzzle for the state properties, but we are optimistic that we can get something done," said Michael Parker, the city's economic development director. "Before we go to the next step in the process, we want to make sure we have capable developers who can acquire these properties from us."

Some offers have already come in, but commissioners wanted to go through the formal competitive bidding process to determine which offer best suits the city's goals. Offers should be received by July 15 and commissioners could be voting on buying and selling the state properties as early as August. The lone city property to be sold in the area went to an unsolicited offer to build a Marriott Residence Inn, which will be located on the corner of Gaines and Railroad Avenue.

But as with any negotiation, cost will be the determining factor in whether the city will purchase the two state lots. As of last year, the two properties were appraised at around $2.9 million apiece, but City Commissioner Debbie Lightsey said she had hoped the state would give the city a discount. City Commissioner Mark Mustian, who has negotiated with the state over the properties, said efforts to get a discount fell through and considered it "highly unlikely" the city would pay any less than the appraised value. Parker said a new appraisal won't be completed for another 45 days.

During the same time frame, the city will be accepting and evaluating development offers for its list of properties. The two state properties are also included on the list and are expected to be packaged with another five-acre lot adjacent to sites the city acquired last year. A consultant's report given to commissioners in January stated the city should look for high-quality, mixed-use developments with a strong emphasis on ground-level activities such as shops and restaurants. The city is also planning to improve the road to make it more pedestrian-friendly.

Welcome to the boards StJoe. Surely implementation has been an issue for this city in the past, mainly due to shortages in funding, however they city has been agressively seeking and purchasing available land along this Gaines Street Corridor, a partnership has even been signed between the city, county and school board to purchase the lands the state releases for sale.

I doubt they would be useful. The Commission has mismanged for decades, my suggestions on an internet board will unlikely change their mismanagement. I can site endless ares where I think they have made huge mistakes.

*Compare Tally to every other state capitol with major universities, the COT is the worst economically diversified, the worst planned, average pay is horrible. COT is far from Austin, Madison, Raleigh, etc.

*General planning: The Governors mansion is beind an old tire/auto shop.

*Taking 8 years for the Marriott hotel (Civic Center to be built)

*Putting a cheap hotel on prime real estate at Gaines and McComb

*Changing zoning laws at the whim at a developer for Symphony Condos

*Poor road layouts. Although doing a much better job the last decade or so.

etc.

you may want to add to this list...

... although they didn't change zoning laws that drastically for the Symphony condominiums...

they are guilty of also...

taking forever to realize we are the only state captal in the US without a performing arts center.

taking forever to realize innovation park is not living up to its potential

taking forever to widen capital circle

took forever to build Blairstone Road

the location of the regional airport

taking forever to address flooding along Franklyn Blvd (Cascades Trail)

the eye soars along Tennessee, Hwy 20, Gaines, and South Monroe. (Now being addressed in Sector Planning)

I've noticed in recent years more and more attention being given to our weaknesses. No city is perfect but I do understand we have a fair share of our own issues to heal. I believe the problem was a less agressive city commission in the past, but I see a changed body, willing to make the sacrifices to see Tallahassee grow.

you may want to add to this list...

... although they didn't change zoning laws that drastically for the Symphony condominiums...

they are guilty of also...

taking forever to realize we are the only state captal in the US without a performing arts center.

taking forever to realize innovation park is not living up to its potential

taking forever to widen capital circle

took forever to build Blairstone Road

the location of the regional airport

taking forever to address flooding along Franklyn Blvd (Cascades Trail)

the eye soars along Tennessee, Hwy 20, Gaines, and South Monroe. (Now being addressed in Sector Planning)

I've noticed in recent years more and more attention being given to our weaknesses. No city is perfect but I do understand we have a fair share of our own issues to heal. I believe the problem was a less agressive city commission in the past, but I see a changed body, willing to make the sacrifices to see Tallahassee grow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree they did drastically change zoning laws for the Symphony. I think they more than doubled the height previously allowed. That was extremely unfortunate.

I think the rest of your list is a good one and there does seem to be more attention to this items. But I doubt much of it changes...like Innovation Park. They just don't want to change. So they won't. I give them a A on road building the last 10 years. They are trying and doing a good job. Don't see much improvement with the eye soars. I know they are trying on Gaines....but as I said...I worry aobut implementation.

:D You guys Tallahassee still has some growing to do. I would call this puberty for the capital city. Yes there has been mismanagement on the commision, but I think they have even learned or is still learning from it. The Marriot hotel should of been a big eye opener. I know the city of Tallahassee will live up to it's potential. The best is yet to come. :D

Remember "before you learned to walk you fell a few times" :)

• 2 weeks later...

tallahassee needs to grow up.... originally, i thought some hieght would take away from the charm... but to hell with that. if i am sitting in heaven looking down, i would like to be able to find my home town. Also, any actions taken to save the trees all over town from the claws of subdividing developers is music to my ears.

Archived