Gaines Street

Florida

Looks like one of the most crucial pieces of the Gaines puzzle is about to happen.

COT taking over Gaines

The brief article states that COT is "considering" taking over Gaines. From all I'm learned, this is the most important event in the evolution of Gaines. If Gaines remains in the hands of DOT, none of the plans can occur w/COT's control. This change in ownership should occur w/no problem....but you never know.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like one of the most crucial pieces of the Gaines puzzle is about to happen.

COT taking over Gaines

The brief article states that COT is "considering" taking over Gaines. From all I'm learned, this is the most important event in the evolution of Gaines. If Gaines remains in the hands of DOT, none of the plans can occur w/COT's control. This change in ownership should occur w/no problem....but you never know.

City Takes Over Gaines Street

SJ I was afraid you might be right about this one, for the future of Gaines I'm glad you weren't. As I stated before this was a crucial piece of the puzzle that was already behind schedule 6 or more months.

On the issue of timing, I think Commissioner Lightsey is correct about this one...go ahead and start now. If we wait on FAMU Way to be extended, as you guys know w/other road projects, that could take years and years. One fast and simple solution to help out a little is to change the intersection at Lake Bradford/Gaines and Stadium to permit traffic going north on Lk Bradford to continue north to be able to connect w/St. Augustine. This would also allow west bound Pensacola traffic to connect onto Stadium and then south on Lake Bradford. I don't believe you can do any of those moves currently and it would help in keeping some traffic off Gaines.

TD, you'll like the uniformed comments popping up already on this one.

• 1 month later...

Here's the pre-submittal to COT for the parcel that currently is the old abandoned Jax/ABC liquor store on Gaines. This makes 3 retail/multi-family submittals for Gaines Street currently under some form of review.

Gaines Street Residential Condominiums/Retail (TPA080049) (21-35-51-000-1250) located on 0.85-acre at 833 West Gaines Street. The proposed project is the demolition of the existing store and the construction of 4,950 square foot of commercial retail and 47 multi-family residential units. The property is zoned UV (University Urban Village).

Also it's good to see that the City has finally started landscaping and upgrading Burnett Park which is the park between Gaines and the Civic Center.

Here's the pre-submittal to COT for the parcel that currently is the old abandoned Jax/ABC liquor store on Gaines. This makes 3 retail/multi-family submittals for Gaines Street currently under some form of review.

Gaines Street Residential Condominiums/Retail (TPA080049) (21-35-51-000-1250) located on 0.85-acre at 833 West Gaines Street. The proposed project is the demolition of the existing store and the construction of 4,950 square foot of commercial retail and 47 multi-family residential units. The property is zoned UV (University Urban Village).

Also it's good to see that the City has finally started landscaping and upgrading Burnett Park which is the park between Gaines and the Civic Center.

• 4 weeks later...

While this project is not ON Gaines, it is in the corridor. This one will be student housing for sure from what I've been told. It's on the SE corner of Woodward and Madison.

Mosaic (TSP080041) (21-35-20-424-0000) located on 0.63-acre at 705 S. Woodward Ave. The proposed project is the construction of 48 multi-family units at a density of 76.2 units per acre. The property is zoned UV (University Urban Village District).

Beginning Monday morning there will be more construction headed to Gaines Street.

The work begins at 11.

The latest project is the white building on the North side of Gaines... just West of the Residence Inn by Marriott.

The old building used to be a night club.

And, now the city of Tallahassee is working to bring those tunes back to Gaines Street.

The new building will include three stories: commercial and retail space on the ground level and condominiums on the two upper levels.

The city says the goal of the revitalization of Gaines Street is a pedestrian-friendly district with a blend of commercial, residential, and cultural uses along and adjacent to the existing roadway.

• 1 month later...

Here's part of an email I received:

At our last meeting, the committee discussed at great length the "flavor/theme/vision" of the corridor. In fact, it's the concensus of the committee to actually name this area. So, I write to you this evening to ask for your suggestions.

Already submitted: The Gaines Street Station and Gaines Art District

Suggestions are due August 14th; like I said, we're really picking up speed. The name of the area will assist us in choosing street lighting, furniture (benches, planters, trash containers,etc), and signs.

Any suggestions?

Or do you believe as Mark Hinson from the Democrat stated in one of his blogs, just leave it alone and call it Gaines Street.

At our last meeting, the committee discussed at great length the "flavor/theme/vision" of the corridor. In fact, it's the concensus of the committee to actually name this area. So, I write to you this evening to ask for your suggestions.

Suggestions are due August 14th; like I said, we're really picking up speed. The name of the area will assist us in choosing street lighting, furniture (benches, planters, trash containers,etc), and signs.

Any suggestions?

Or do you believe as Mark Hinson from the Democrat stated in one of his blogs, just leave it alone and call it Gaines Street.

Any suggestions?

Archived