Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, welcome to the forum, with baptism by fire, kind of like whoever will be FSU's starting quarterback this season against Miami. 

Seriously though, I mentioned the Holiday Inn as a bad example because it does not enhance the street or encourage people to get out and stroll the sidewalks, which is a critical component of the Gaines Street plan. I also agree that all is not lost with this project (see we agree on something). The implementation of street retail and dining on this corner is a must.

I only mentioned Holiday Inn because of all the events they do have and the number of people they attract. It's going to depend on Mariott and the surrounding area if people will stroll around to the other businesses. As a FSU student, I know that there is a great need for a place to have meetings, attend events, etc. Those meetings/events are usually concluded by going some place to eat, socializing, etc. I'm sure that other groups of people are the same way. If that area markets to people like that then area will be lively. As for Holiday Inn, people don't walk around b/c honestly, who would want to go for a stroll in that area. Its all about if the area is set up to welcome a lively community and I feel that Mariott can produce that.

I only mentioned Holiday Inn because of all the events they do have and the number of people they attract.  It's going to depend on Mariott and the surrounding area if people will stroll around to the other businesses.  As a FSU student, I know that there is a great need for a place to have meetings, attend events, etc.  Those meetings/events are usually concluded by going some place to eat, socializing, etc.  I'm sure that other groups of people are the same way.  If that area markets to people like that then area will be lively.  As for Holiday Inn, people don't walk around b/c honestly, who would want to go for a stroll in that area.  Its all about if the area is set up to welcome a lively community and I feel that Mariott can produce that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you talking about this Residence Inn by Marriott or the proposed Marriott Hotel at the convention center? I wasn't aware that the one at the corner of Gaines and Railroad would have meeting space. It appears to be too small.

• 1 month later...

Developers respond to Gaines street proposal: http://www.talgov.com/communications/newsdetail.cfm?id=141

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's hope they don't give those lots away for an ABC liquor, pawn shop, fast food restaurant, or gas station. Forgive me, but I have zero confidence that they make Gaines Street anything special. That already underwhelmed me with taking the #1 prime lot and putting a mid range hotel there. They are a dime a dozen in every mid to large city in America. Not the kind of thing that attract the crowds you want. COT just has a knack for blowing it.

Well unlike the St. Joe I have tons of confidence that this thing will work with the leadership of the city. I see the hotel project on the corner of Railroad and Gaines as a huge step forward for the Gaines Street corridor and our downtown area. It has the look of a more vibrant place and it will serve to facilitate a more active central core.

Hopefully they want. If 1 fast food burger joint goes up then the whole project is ruined. They need to avoid being cheap as possible. It's an entertainment district you know. There need to be cafe's and nice restaurants like Fat sandwich next to all saints cafe.

^How so.... is it not possible to have popular diners occupying the ground floor of some of the buildings on Gaines Street. Surely if you want people to spend extended amounts of time in the area, and you want them to travel to the area from work and school they will need something recognizable to go to. Im not saying Gaines Street should offer fast food in its traditional since with drive through windows and such, but I feel like going downtown for a burger or snack or whatever, I should be able to use the ground floor level of say a 4-5 story building fronting the street... thats what downtown is missing right now in my opinion.

Hopefully they want. If 1 fast food burger joint goes up then the whole project is ruined. They need to avoid being cheap as possible. It's an entertainment district you know. There need to be cafe's and nice restaurants like Fat sandwich next to all saints cafe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personally do not have a problem with a fast food place if they are willing to meet two criteria. 1) No drive thru's and 2) No stand-alone lot. If they are willing to work in a pedestrian oriented setting, then I have no problem with them being there, since you are trying to reach a mix of incomes and demographic types.

^What I meant to say about not having any fast food burger joints is not having drive thrus and big poles that says mcdonalds or what not. It is indeed a good idea to have something that gets national recognition. I believe the whole vision of Gaines street would be ruined if we had drive thrus and pole signs like the ones you see on tennessee st.

like the ground level wendy's and Mc D's in New orleans. The McD is a two stories with seating overlooking canal street. It was nice to go get a cheap heart attack with a nice view. But there venues do not have parking, so i do not think it will happen without serious public parking in that area. I like the idea of having nice little cafe's. I would walk from fsu to enjoy a nice lunch. But it would be an effort to have a nice dinner in an area like Gaines.

In terms of parking venues, Im sure there will be some off street parking, just looking at the corridor plan itself, however there may possibly never be "enough" parking for a massive car community... this project need be truly pedestrian oriented. I see Taltran playing a major role in the corridor as well bringing in people from downtown, the schools, and their homes. Gas prices are getting no cheaper, so I believe this project will be a success if it stays true to its pedestrian scale design.

• 3 months later...

Archived