Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh that's not important. Whats great is that you love Gaines Street... do you see any potential in Lake Bradford?

yes, but its so littered.

u have fast food joints and rundown gas stations and .....

to answer you yes.,, but lot more money needed

I'm feelin you.... I see the sector being drastically changed with some green in the median, and if we ever had a hospital on the South or West side of town.... it should be on lake bradford.

yes, so that the fsu med school can send students thre closeby to train

Well isn't Lake Bradford close enough to Innovation Park to start some trouble... seriously... when you think about it, a hospital on this road would definately bring along some support cast, including drug stores, smaller clinics, banks, doctors and nurses, patients, who will need a place to eat.

Doctors and nurses who may want to live near their job, could start another housing boom, this time for the south west a new upscale neighborhood, and some very nice middle class neighborhoods to follow. This would be a win win for the community, creation of a new desirable location AND an increase in property value for residents already in the area. Not to mention the possibility of better schools and the potential to have a high school in close proxmity. Other employees of the hospital living Gaines Street style. The area would look almost just like it does on Magnolia and Centerville, or along Miccosukee Between Magnolia and Capital Circle... nice.

Wouldn't that be cool?!

think about the impact on our poor poor environment overthere... i must request no new neigborhoods like Southwood develping acres and acres of what we have left... I love the idea of money being used in that sector for development and grwoth, but infill is essential on that area of town. I mean, just capital circle alone will do enough damage. We can build lake bradford up!

You're right! I like the sound of building up, just not on lake Bradford! LOL!

Let's get that downtown right first.... Lake Bradford can be our next Commercial Street if we do this right... from where I live now, it would be wonderful to have a hospital, walgreens, staples, books store, grocery store, restaurants and such on this road. The area is already rather densely populated, just not the desirable income level. I'm assuming many of us in this sector of the city would be classified as impoverished... I know I am! LOL!

But what about all the FSU professors.... If something actually happened on the Southside, they'd have nothing to study and get grants for? Just joking. Anyway, it would be great to at least see all the parking lots and vacant space between the Stadium and the railroad tracks get built up with student housing, retail, and restaurants, and a medical row along Orange Avenue or Lake Bradford south of the tracks.

I honestly think the area would boom... especially seeing how busy it gets during football season. Cars literally jam the stretch between CSX tracks and the stadium... now just imagine restaurants for these cars to park at and for the drivers and passengers to eat at while they're counting down the hours to the football games. Both schools would benifit from this area. Not to mention the reduction in traffic throughout the rest of the city from cars not having to all flock to the same area for dining and entertainment.

• 1 month later...

Gaines Street Strategy Criticized

Some business already in the Gaines Street area feel they should be in on the offerings to reinvigorate Gaines Street. They see incentives going to new development projects and question why the city won't offer them anything.

Its my personal opinion that companies seeking to make visual improvements to their businesses or hire more employees should be offered some type of incentive. The name of the game is renewal, and revitalization and anyone who participates in this along Gaines Street should be offered some cash.

Article:

Looking for a Miracle on Gaines Street

Place Properties Student Housing

PlaceProperties.jpg

Kennesaw, GA

This is quite possibly a look that I think would be a "best fit" for Gaines Street. Although the complex seen in the picture above is much bigger than what is being proposed for Tallahassee, at 744 beds as opposed to the 574 proposed for Gaines Street, the concept is currently what Place Properties uses for its urban living centers for students.

Kennesaw State University was previously seen as a commuter school. People would drive in from remote locations for classes and search for parking all over the campus. The Place Property housing development helped to change all of this.

Like anything that is developed along Gaines Street, Univeristy Village in Kennesaw, GA had to deal with a road improvements project as well. So you can see there are several key similarities between what we see here and what we hope to see on Gaines Street.

KnoxvillePlace.jpg

Knoxville Place

Knoxville and Tallahassee have a few things in common, both homes to major State Universities, and both homes to Gameday Center Developments. It is quite possible that Knoxville and Tallahassee will share similarities in the Place Property development as well.

Knoxville has Place Properties tallest student housing development at 12 stories, but it's not the largest. The concept for this unit was to provide quality housing for university students at an affordable price with private funds. As a 12-story, high rise, mixed-use facility with five levels of parking, seven levels of student housing, 14 townhouses, a student wellness center, student activity center, library, computer/study center, retail center, and an outdoor plaza, this project is truly unique in the Knoxville community.

The terrace level (first level of housing) provides nearly 32,100 sq. ft. of outdoor plaza space with abundant landscaping. The plaza is designed with seating areas and segregation spaces, and serves as a destination point for students to socialize in a park-like, open-air setting.

The project is significant to Knoxville because of it achieving the goal of privately financing desperately needed housing and parking. Since opening, it has become a new urban gathering point for students and friends.

According to the article they've got another year before they plan to close. This could possibly be a case of relocation, and frankly I see opportunity for a place like Higher Taste to occupy retail space in one of the several projects underway downtown.

Nomads will be closing on Christmas Eve.... not sure if this is a relocation thing, or an outright going out of business thing.

The city will likely put out another RFP (Request for Proposals) before its all said and done. I think one of the reasons so few request came in this time as opposed to last is because of New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast needing to be rebuilt. I'm told that there are a good number of our local contractors in that area, and what few materials and crews we can get aren't working for cheap. Not sure how long the shortage in manpower and materials will last, but it explains the higher cost of not only condominiums, but single family homes, and streets and similar projects these days.

Nomads is closing for good. I think any of the businesses on Gaines St. that do not fit in w/the new plan...retail, student area....should move on. I'm talking about the industrial stuff here.

I also think that building student apts. in the area isn't a bad idea at all. If the students move in first, then the retail and such will follow.

went by the marriot on railroad today, and it looks like the building will be coming out of the ground in the next few days! Their were cinder blocks stacked up all around the lot just wiating to be slathered with concrete and stacked into the air.

Archived