Tallahassee Titans

Tallahassee Welcomes:

titansprimarylogooptions2.png

For the three years we had the Tallahassee Thunder, I truly enjoyed every Saturday when I would attend a game at the Civic Center Arena. Attendance was always weak (5500 if we were lucky) despite the fact that we had a winning team. I dig the concept of the AFL, or in our case AFL2, but it didn't catch on... why?

I think it was poor marketing. There's no secret that Tallahassee loves football, the tickets weren't expensive, people just didn't know about the events. At first I blamed the news, but it was more the fault of the league. I don't think I ever saw a billboard.

Well its great to know we've got a New Team (Tallahassee Titans) coming next February. Tickets go on sale in November, and this time, we will get things right, won't we!

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TaureanJ it was no one's fault. They did all they could to advertise for them. NO one was just into it. I don't think we have the marketing for it yet. All the sports teams who come to Tally always leave or relocate into a different city. Tallahassee tigersharks, and Tallahassee scorpions are prime examples. I think we need a basketball team. That would probaly draw in more interest.

Don't you remember Tallahassee ABA Basketball team from a few years back, that was also dominant. Where are they now? Gone! But what was their problem... no money to market their product. Just like the Thunder. The case with the Thunder and the Tigersharks is different. The owner of the Sharks was guilty of a crime which forced the team into relocation.

• 7 months later...

i'd take any minor league sport in Tallahassee right about now. i know that FSU will always be king, but hockey/arena league football would be great. maybe as the city continues to grow the demand will also...

of course, minor league baseball would be the top of my list... i cannot get into college ball and the magical *ping* of their bats.

• 5 months later...

I think marketing is to blame. It's the same thing for concerts. There are numerous great artists/bands that come here every year but for the most part I don't here about the event until it is already passed. The Democrat is terrible about this.

A few billboards on CC, Tennessee St, I-10, and etc. would go a long way.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to say that minor league baseball would not make it here in Tally. Heck the noles baseball is top 10 every year and no one comes to those games unless they are playing Miami. Minor league baseball would not stay here if they only averaged 500 per game. Nobody in this town supports anything except for FSU Football.

I hate to say that minor league baseball would not make it here in Tally. Heck the noles baseball is top 10 every year and no one comes to those games unless they are playing Miami. Minor league baseball would not stay here if they only averaged 500 per game. Nobody in this town supports anything except for FSU Football.

Actually according the most recent NCAA figures (http://www.ncaa.org/stats/baseball/attendance/index.html)

FSU was 14th in the nation in average baseball attendance and 11th in total attendance.

I would call that supporting the team.

Well I kinda disagree. Attendance at FSU's baseball games is possibly among the highest in College Baseball (when they're winning). FAMU does a good job fillinig its football stadium, and basketball is starting to catch on at FSU also. Its not so much the community refuses to support these different teams, its often we just need a reason to.

Actually according the most recent NCAA figures (http://www.ncaa.org/stats/baseball/attendance/index.html)

FSU was 14th in the nation in average baseball attendance and 11th in total attendance.

I would call that supporting the team.

It is misleading. FSU and ALL other teams in the NCAA report tickets sold for baseball attendance. That is why we are so high. I go to ALL of the games, I set with the Animals of Section B. Baseball attendance is not that good. It could be a lot better.

Well I kinda disagree. Attendance at FSU's baseball games is possibly among the highest in College Baseball (when they're winning). FAMU does a good job fillinig its football stadium, and basketball is starting to catch on at FSU also. Its not so much the community refuses to support these different teams, its often we just need a reason to.

FAMU has a good group of fans that come no matter what. Basketball fans for FSU like you said only come when they are winning. May be people around here do just need a reason to come out. I for one WOULD LOVE TO SEE a minor league baseball team. I just would hope that it would not suffer the fate that Hockey did also and the indoor soccer league that never played a game here.

• 3 weeks later...

Tallahassee_Thunder.gif

C'mon people!! The Foundation is here already we've got to use it! If we continue to create a new thread for every headline we read, this Subforum will become like all others. We don't want that.

That said...

It's great news to see a team return to Tallahassee to fill the Thunder's void. Hopefully this time the program will get some marketing, and solid support from the business community. Hopefully they will take advantage of the local schools for support as well.

February is supossed to be the start of the season... we'll see how things work out.

I'm very excited!!

Archived