Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ironchapman

Best World Skyscraper

84 members have voted

1. 1. Best World Skyscraper

• Flatiron Building (NYC)
    • Empire State Building
    • Chrysler Building
    • Sears Tower
    • John Hancock Center (Chicago)
    • John Hancock Tower (Boston)
    • Westin Peachtree (Atlanta)
    • Bank of America HQ (Charlotte)
    • 1st Interstate Banking Center (Dallas)
    • TransAmerica Pyramid (San Francisco)
    • Petronas Towers
    • Buj Al Arab (Dubai)
    • Jin Mao Tower (Shanghai)
    • Messeturm (Frankfurt)
    • Commerzbank (Frankfurt)
    • La Tour Montparnasse (Paris)
    • Tokyo City Hall
    • Canary Wharf Tower (London)
    • Bank of China (Hong Kong)
    • Other

I started a US skyscraper poll a few days ago that seemed to be successful, so I am posting it's "sequel" now, a world skyscrapers poll.

Keep in mind that I chose only what I considered the best of the best and most attractive ones.

I am only using existing skyscrapers. That is why I did not list the World Trade Center or ones like Taipei 101.

As much as I like Atlanta's (my homeown, pretty much) Westin Peachtree, I voted for the Bank of China building in Hong Kong, love the structure and the glass.

163857.jpg

This building is great, but I solely have to keep atlanta up the polls so I voted for the westin peachtree,

Ironchapman, we need to team up and make polls and threads, I really admire your work. And I have also promoted your polls with nice pictures. I think we could take over Urban planet.

Thanks for the comment, Chris.

We'll just have to keep up the work in Atlanta and GA threads.

I still love the Bank of China Building in HK. A lot of cities could use a building like that.

Hey what's this Atlanta conspiracy goin on? <_< Just kidding, I voted for the Westin Peachtree too, I love that building.

it's gotta be the empire state building. i'm not trying to hate on atlanta, but i doubt everybody else in the world, much less most of the u.s. even know what that building is. i mean we are talking best in the WORLD. there are a lot of memorable buildings. i just don't think that the westin is one of them. don't get me wrong, i think it's beautiful, just not world renown (sp?)

Understood, Satalac, that's why I voted for the Bank of China building.

The book that I got most of these skyscrapers from, (called The Great Skyscrapers of the World by an Antonino Terranova) the Westin is Atlanta's most recognised building around the world. This building has been seen by so many in Hartsfield's early days that it has come to symbolize the city. Many people who have been through ATL will recognise the building. It used to be the tallest in the world. It was one of the first skyscraper hotels of its type. Its Sundial restaurant was also one of the first rotating restaurants.

Some of the buildings on my list may not be that famous (when compared to, say the Sears Tower), but they may have pioneered or perfected a style of building, like the Westin was one of the world's first hotels of its type.

Understood, Satalac, that's why I voted for the Bank of China building.

The book that I got most of these skyscrapers from, (called The Great Skyscrapers of the World by an Antonino Terranova) the Westin is Atlanta's most recognised building around the world. This building has been seen by so many in Hartsfield's early days that it has come to symbolize the city. Many people who have been through ATL will recognise the building. It used to be the tallest in the world. It was one of the first skyscraper hotels of its type. Its Sundial restaurant was also one of the first rotating restaurants.

Some of the buildings on my list may not be that famous (when compared to, say the Sears Tower), but they may have pioneered or perfected a style of building, like the Westin was one of the world's first hotels of its type.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, i guess i didn't take into account that millions of people fly into atlanta every year. it was a very unique building for it's time when it was built. sadly i think the one in detroit (gm's head quarters???) over shadows it somewhat. everytime i drive through atlanta, i'm always craning my neck to get a good look at it. i think it's the best one in atlanta.

There's one that looks a lot like it in Memphis. The Hilton Memphis I believe. It is 30 stories and a bit wider, though.

The one in Detroit is the Rennaissance Marriott. Apparently, a lot of the Detroit forumers here don't like it's look, either.

When I saw the movie Entrapment, the Petronas Towers instantly became my favorite. Majestic in every sense of the word:

cid_petronas_1-Bocaling.jpg

I think that it's too hard to choose one.

How about;

a classic catagory (Empire State, Wrigly, Chrysler)

a late 20th century (Sears, Bank Of China, Westin Peachtree Plaza)

and a post 2000 (Burj, 3344 Peachtree, Freedom Tower)

The Chrysler Building has a strong presence. Mere height does not always achieve this. I almost voted for the Empire State Building, but the Chrysler is a jazzier building. The Bank of China is interesting too.

2 International Finance Centre in Hong Kong is my favorite! It reminds me of Charlotte NC's bank of America Center though.

i went with peachtree, too. it's a great building and it's perfect for its location. though if the author had thought to include Wells Fargo in mpls, i may have changed my mind.

How is the peachtree westin unique? It has an Identical twin in another city. Look at them both and they have almost no difference except for location. Portman wasn't big on variations back in the 70's

I went with the Chrysler building. It's incredible. I can't think of anything that would come close in my book.

Well said...It also got my vote

^^You both took the words out of my mouth, I have never seen something as quintessentially "American" as the Chrysler Building, it represents almost the edge of technological and architectural wonder from what I would consider the height of American civilization . . . the 1930's.

I would put in a vote for the Koppers Tower or Gulf Oil Tower in Pittsburgh as being among the best structures from the art deco era.

Also how can the architectural wonder that is the PPG Place or Cathedral of Learning (tallest academic structure in the world, considering Moscow State has a stepel and no habital floor space on theirs) be left off the list?? :(

I had to go with the Chrysler Building, but when built, I think I will have to go with the Fardham Spire in Chicago:

calatravachicago020th.jpg

I don't know... Either Empire State or the Chrysler Building, but there are other skyscrapers that are far better. Judging a "good" skyscraper is tough.

As in architecture, there are many classifications...

Appearance

How it contrasts (or doesn't) to surrounding buildings

How it fits in

How people react with it

How people use it

How people move through it

How it makes people feel

It's uniqueness

and etc...

If there were a taller version of the 19 floor Price Tower, i'd say it then... Out of those in the list, either the ESB or Chrysler, even though they aren't completely unique...

Those are great buildings, however there are two that come to mind that weren't on the list.

One is the tallest now in 3 catagories.

Taipei towers - .slide_20040713-1662_Taipei_101.jpg _39646985_taipei101_ap.jpg

Swiss Re Tower - London (the egg building)

image3976.jpg025_430x316.jpg

The 'egg' shaped building is exceptionally colorful with burgundy, royal blue, emerald green stripes.

The Dallas 1st Insterstate building was a favorite as a child due to its irregular shape.