Another fricken Wal-Mart!

doormanpoet

Well, with only three or five miles apart, they have decided to put a 210,000 square foot Wal-Mart right next to Bellvue Center on the 12 acres vacated by the Titans. Do we need another fricken Wal-Mart? HELL NO!!!!!!!

They already have a super Wal-Mart on Charlotte Avenue not more than 5 miles away! What are they thinking?:hell:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its great! The area is already open and no more natural landscape will have to be destroyed. There will be opportunity for hundreds more jobs in the area. Also Wal Mart brings nice products to the table for a great price. I have bought everything from a TV, to a computer desk, to a entertainment center to a dvd player, to clothes, and many other things I own. I'm on a tight budget so Wal Mart has never hurt me. I was slightly against the one on charlotte because of the Native American burial ground, but I see no problem with this particular one. I dont understand why so many people oppose Wal Mart. I like the idea of hundreds of new jobs and great prices.

I dont understand why so many people oppose Wal Mart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think its mainly the fact that Walmart epitomises the huge "big box" retailer with the gigantic parking lot out front that just looks hideous and ruins any architectural appeal to the area that it is located in. Yes Walmart brings hundreds of jobs but it also kills hundreds of jobs at the other places that it puts out of business or steals business from. Locally owned and operated businesses are ideal because they keep the money in the community, where as a company like Walmart reaps huge amounts of profits that don't get circulated back into the local economy...the money gets sent to corporate and then on to the investors. Its not really that Walmart does anything differently than a lot of companies, its just that its the most successful and has the largest presence so its the main target.

Still new to the forum but I need to weigh in on the 'Wal*Mart' debate. It seems to me that many. many. many on this board and several other city-centric forums seek to heap every social ill on them. I do agree with you in that they are an easy target, leaders often draw more than their fair share of positive and negative attention.

Whether you/we like them from an design perspective is a non-starter in my book, they obviously comply with local zoning regulations.

In addition the comment that, "...it (walmart) puts out of business or steals business from (local companies)." discounts individual choice. It is the local populace that decides which enterprises close and which jobs are gained or lost.

Those that see walmart as as a drain on area resources should avoid it...if enough people vote with their pocketbook the corporation will notice. I still believe in the collective wisdom of the population and it seems like walmart in a landslide.

This is not directed at you specifically GaTech. (Can't wait to visit the new IKEA)

A lot of people beotch about the Target that is going up in my area, but I would much rather have a Target than a Walmart. 

Walmart is just plain evil...they ruin small towns.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In southern Minnesota, most small towns that have a Super WalMart also have a Super Target, so I think they both play that role.

A lot of people beotch about the Target that is going up in my area, but I would much rather have a Target than a Walmart. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'd much rather have those woods there again. both target and walmart suck in my opinion. and honestly, wal-marts prices are that much cheaper than any other stores. i like stores that are dedicated to a certain area. you go to walmart and ask them about their products (electronics especially) and most of the time they have no clue what they are talking about. these stores that insist on saturating the area with their products are really getting on my nerves. just another reason to ponder downtown living.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As another fourmer mentioned, I like Wal-Mart. As i said in another thread, Wal-Mart is simplie a test. If your city is weak than it can't survive it. But anywaz, Wal-Mart doesen't kill everything. My town is about 21,000 and there is currnetly a Supercenter under construction. A target or home depot is coming into the old Wal-Mart so theres two big stores. But our downtown is actually improving. Two new resterants have moved there and are actually getting good businesses. We are a city based around funiture, and since we now have only 2 plants still running it's good to see us in good shape. Back to my point is that wal-mart isn't everything and you can get through it. It's not going anywere.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about Walmart, I was just putting forth the argument against it (that I've heard timae and time again). The new Ikea is just down the street from where I am here at GaTech in Atlantic Station...such a great store.

i'd much rather have those woods there again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those weren't much as far as "woods" go. It was the old Elks club if I remember, and the grass was overgrown and there was an ugly chain link fence surrounding it. If I could choose a piece of land to "have back", it would be that big field where they built Fredricksburg. I loved that field! Oh, if only Cloverland Drive hadn't grown up...

In Cloverland Acres (a development from the early-late '70s) off of Cloverland Drive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have a lot of friends that live there. we probably know a lot of the same people. i loved that area where fredricksburg is now too. well one of the reasons that i liked that wooded area where the target is is because you could play paintball in the old lodge. weren't supposed to, but still fun. plus, you couldn't really see it from old hickory because of the trees. i'm just ticked because the increased traffic will make getting to the waffle house more difficult. :P

Three companies I am morally, politically and economically opposed too are Wal-Mart, Starbucks, and Mcdonalds. All three of these companies have destroyed timberlands and meadowlands. They have so saturated the market the quality has gone down. Wal-mart has had several lawsuits for underpaying minority workers and fudging on overtime.

They consistently do not care about the environment and they refuse to upgrade their architecture. Wal-Mart has stated they can no longer grow by adding stores. The next step to add profits is to lay people off, close stores and rebuild them to make more superstores. Their business model is outdated, and some experts say they will go the way of Montgomery Ward, Service Merchandise, and Woolworths and expand to the point they go out of business.

A few hundred jobs in Bellevue is not worth them putting everyone else out of business by having prices so low, the other retailers cannot meet.

One of the problems with America is that people no longer settle for quality, they settle for quanity. The products Wal-Mart sells are made by people making a whopping .25 cents per hour and the Wal-Mart executives get rich.

i have a lot of friends that live there. we probably know a lot of the same people. i loved that area where fredricksburg is now too.  well one of the reasons that i liked that wooded area where the target is is because you could play paintball in the old lodge. weren't supposed to, but still fun. plus, you couldn't really see it from old hickory because of the trees. i'm just ticked because the increased traffic will make getting to the waffle house more difficult.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who do you know that lives here??

Oh, I know it will increase traffic...but getting in to Waffle House still shouldn't be too hard. :P Btw, I saw Hope Hines there one time. :thumbsup:

Who do you know that lives here??

Oh, I know it will increase traffic...but getting in to Waffle House still shouldn't be too hard. :P  Btw, I saw Hope Hines there one time. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, hope hines comes into work sometimes to eat (honeybaked ham). sometimes charlie chase and brad hopkins from the titans comes in too. did you ever see jevon kearse at the waffle house? he'd come in sometimes and just talk with people. that man is huge.

yeah, hope hines comes into work sometimes to eat (honeybaked ham). sometimes charlie chase and brad hopkins from the titans comes in too. did you ever see jevon kearse at the waffle house? he'd come in sometimes and just talk with people. that man is huge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I didn't see any of those guys, but I've seen several Titans come in to where I used to work (Subway in Cool Springs). Robert Holcombe, and I think Keith Bulluck. Also, I hear that one time Kenny Chesney came in...

I stopped by Bellevue Mall today and that place is dead! Its starting to look like 100 Oaks. If I owned the mall I would be begging Wal-Mart to set up shop next door. I'm not sure how much it will help but it sure couldnt hurt. I also think it will come into its own in the next few years as Bellevues population continues to grow.

Archived