Spartanburg Photos

Spartan

We will start our tour in Morgan Square, the heart of Spartanburg, South Carolina. They are in the process of redesigning it so its a huge mess. Notice that despite this mess there are cars parked everywhere. I didn't get many shots of people, but they were always coming and going, despite the lack of crowds :)

SPA_msq04.jpg

Morgan Square looking east

SPA_msq03.jpg

Closer

SPA_msq06.jpg

A mess.

SPA_msq08_wildwing.jpg

Wild Wing Caf

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPA_CAA01_ART.jpg

The fountain in the elipse next to ESA.

SPA_CAA02.jpg

Cash Advance America HQ

SPA_Dunbarst02.jpg

Dunbar St.

SPA_mongomerytower.jpg

Montgomery Tower.

SPA_dt05.jpg

This is a shot of a buliding that they are rennovating, and to the left you can see the site of a

former bank and cash advance facility. This will be the a future locaiton of Hub City Coffee, a

drive trough & walk-in coffee place. :)

SPA_QS101.jpg

QS/1 Headquaters

SPA_QS102.jpg

SPA_QS103.jpg

SPA_skyline01.jpg

Skyline

SPA_skyline02.jpg

Closer

SPA_skyline03.jpg

Slightly different angle

I hope you enjoyed you virtual visit to Spartanburg! :)

here's a closer shot

DSCF0284.jpg

here's a shot of the QS-1 HQ

DSCF0256.jpg

a building being renovated across the street from the QS-1 building

DSCF0257.jpg

i think this is the palmetto bank parking garage

DSCF0252.jpg

another shot of the garage

DSCF0253.jpg

this is the back of the ESA HQ

DSCF0254.jpg

and here's a view of the back of the palmetto bank building

DSCF0255.jpg

a view of the sidewalk behind the ESA HQ and the palmetto bank

DSCF0251.jpg

this is the south face of the ESA building, it faces Morgan Square

DSCF0245.jpg

here's the front of the ESA building that faces Church St.

DSCF0246.jpg

this is the cash advance america HQ

DSCF0247.jpg

here's some buildings on the south side of morgan square, you can see the Sandwich Factory on the left

DSCF0250.jpg

this is the statue of daniel morgan in morgan square, this was taken a few weeks before they began construction on the square

DSCF0249.jpg

this is a shot from morgan square looking east down main, you can see the denny's tower in the background.

DSCF0248.jpg

here's a few more,

this is inside the old theatre in the bottom of the montgomery bulding

P1010866.jpg

here's a few shots taken inside the Hangar(First Baptist's student center)

P1010876.jpg

P1010879.jpg

this is out at the old glendale mill, it burned not too long ago but it's still a neat place to walk around

P1010857.jpg

I have been through Spartanburg and the other northern South Carolina Metros a lot on my way to Charlotte, the Outer Banks, Asheville, etc. Have aways wanted to stop there for a couple of hours (or days) to look around Spartanburg and it's neighboring cities. The photos make me feel like I've done that. Thanks!

Nice Pics!

P.S. How did Spartanburg get its name?

een through Spartanburg and the other northern South Carolina Metros a lot on my way to Charlotte, the outer Banks, Asheville, etc. Have aways wanted to stop there for a couple of hours (or days) to look around Spartanburg and it's neighboring cities. The photos make me feel like I've done that. Thanks!

Nice Pics!

P.S. How did Spartanburg get its name?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. You should stop by our city some time. Downtown is only 5-10 mins from I-85. :)

Spartanburg is named for the Spartan Regiment, led by Gen. Daniel Morgan. The Spartans defeated the British at the Battle of Cowpens during the Revolution.

Also, it is good the emo posted those photos. You can kind of get a sense as to what it was like before the rennovations started :)

I should also mention that this is only about half of downtown. There are alot of things I left out due to time restrictions. One of these days I will try to get the other half. :)

Thanks. If you have not been downtown in the past 3 years or so, you wouldn't recognize it. I was talking with a friend about that yesterday. The whole city has changed too. Alot of redevelopment and positive things are going on here, despite the sprawl for which we are so well known.

Thanks for sharing those pics! I swear...I live in downtown and see it everyday and still cannot get over the changes. I love it. A couple of things...

1. I think the Cleveland Law Range is so incredibly beautiful and just wanted to say that. :)

2. Just FYI...the Spartan Motel. I've been interested in this building and went down to the Spartanburg Historical Society to learn more. It was built in 1909 by the Oakman family (who still owns it). It was originally called the Oregon Hotel. It was hotel and a pharmacy--Clarence Oakman was a pharmacist. I've heard it also had an ice cream parlor. Businessmen would come from the train station to stay there. It is the last commercial hotel from that period still standing in Spartanburg. Rumor has it that the Oakman family plans to put apartments in there. I know it needs all new windows--which is a lot of $$. For years, Oakman Glass was there before they moved the operation to Union Street. I would love to go inside this building. I hope it is protected. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, but from what I'm told, if it is in private hands they can do whatever they want with it.

thanks again!

:) t

Nice pics.. very charming, and clean. Plus I'm a fan of horizontally-mounted traffic signals on mast-arms. They look very sleek to me. :) Any plans for a new city hall anytime soon? It would be nice to see something along the lines of the QS/1 or ESA buildings to match the surrounding buildings.

Nice pics.. very charming, and clean. Plus I'm a fan of horizontally-mounted traffic signals on mast-arms. They look very sleek to me. :) Any plans for a new city hall anytime soon? It would be nice to see something along the lines of the QS/1 or ESA buildings to match the surrounding buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love the arms. They are being put in everywhere in the city. Its a lsow process, but a worthy cause :)

The City acknowledges that there is a need for a new City Hall. But there aren't any active plans going on.

Here is a link to the article that describes some of the interesting proposas made by some Clemson students: New City Hall for Spartanburg?

GREAT pics you guys! The tour makes it easy to see how Spartanburg has transformed from a town into a small city. As soon as I get a digital camera, I'm going to make sure I give you guys photo tours of Rock Hill and Orangeburg. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please do, krazeeboi! :thumbsup:

Great pic of Palmetto Fountain. :) Wish I could see the rest. :(

edit - Got 'em now! Great to see the progress since I was last there. Wild Wing looks neat, although I wish there were less "cloned" restaurants and shops between the Carolina cities. Wild Wing has been popping up all over along with several other stores. I like to see our downtowns provide totally unique places to eat and shop, but I guess in some ways maybe we needed these to jump-start the pedestrian activity there. :unsure:

I love the arms. They are being put in everywhere in the city. Its a lsow process, but a worthy cause :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree wholeheartedly, and you see an immediate result in the appearance of the street! Also I find that when the signal is mounted sideways, all the lamps are within the same line of sight, making them easier to see from a distance, especially when behind a taller vehicle.

In my neck of the woods it's not just aesthetics but also wind resistance. A mast-arm can stand up to a hurricane a whole lot better than a span-wire. :)

You and me both, my friend, you and me both.
Looks like I'm in good company! Time to pull out those traffic lights and streetlamp pictures for a new thread. B)

here's some more photos of spartanburg.

this is the spartanburg memorial auditorium

DSCF0465.jpg

here's the new Krispy Kreme building across the street from the old one

DSCF0468.jpg

Magnolia St. Station

DSCF0470.jpg

Dunbar St.

DSCF0473.jpg

Dunbar St. parking garage

DSCF0474.jpg

this is the dunbar garage on the right and cash advance on the left. You can see the montgomery building in the background.

DSCF0476.jpg

commerce st. looking south

DSCF0479.jpg

commerce st. looking west

DSCF0480.jpg

main st. looking east

DSCF0477.jpg

the Hangar in between commerce and dunbar st.

DSCF0482.jpg

SPARTA transit center

DSCF0481.jpg

and here's a couple for all of you out-of-towners

DSCF0488.jpg

DSCF0487.jpg

Archived