Spartanburg Photos

Spartan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for all of the comments on the pictures. i went into the montgomery building just hoping to somehow get in there. i saw someone who worked in one of the offices and they told me to look for the maintenance guy. Luckily, i found him and i told him that i wanted to take some pictures and he gave me a mini tour. i got to go into the auditorium and backstage too. It was really interesting. I asked him if anyone was planning on renovating it anytime soon and he said that it was definately something that had been talked about as a future project. Right now Arthur Cleveland owns the building and he's got a lot of other things to worry about. Hopefully someone will invest the money and restore the place. There's still original marble behind the wood grain paneling that was added in the 70's and there is ornate gold trim that goes all around the theater including the entrance where i took the photo. There is a temporary hallway that cuts through the center of the auditorium right now and they plan to eventually ramove it. They maintenance guy said that it would cost something like $200,000 to renovate it. I don't know how accurate that is, but that seems like a lot less than what I expected to hear. There were also a lot of little signs throughout the theater that told little bits of information about the place. I also thought it was cool that Elvis performed there.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic photos. I really appreciate seeing them, as I rarely come across great photos of Spartanburg. The city is truly beginning to blossom and has a lot of potential for much more. It's definitely one of my favorite SC cities.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I decided to ride over the Spartanburg this past Saturday to get some pictures of the place. I've always admired the city by driving through, but I gained a much greater appreciation for this burgeoning city by walking around on foot and gaining an up-close experience with the city. The city has a great collection of buildings, and has much more potential to be realized (and will be, I'm sure). I couldn't get everything, and I don't want to post too many pictures like those that have been posted previously, but here we go:

I'm diggin' the square

square.jpg

acrosssquare.jpg

clocktowerdistance.jpg

Danny Boy Morgan

pedestal.jpg

danielmorgan.jpg

stjohn.jpg

street.jpg

An opportunity waiting to happen

smithsdrugs.jpg

Another one

facelift.jpg

tower2.jpg

openspace3.jpg

openspace2.jpg

openspace.jpg

storefronts1.jpg

sparta.jpg

What's going here?

dirt.jpg

FBC Student Center, the Hangar

hangar.jpg

hangardennys.jpg

County Judicial Center

judicialctr.jpg

County Public Libraries HQ

libraryhq.jpg

libraryhq2.jpg

Montgomery Tower

montgomeryside.jpg

montgomeryside2.jpg

mural2.jpg

The Marriott

marriott.jpg

marriott2.jpg

At night

marriottnight.jpg

QS1

QS1.jpg

QS12.jpg

More opportunity awaits

pepsi.jpg

I think they're doing something with this building to the right

barbershop.jpg

I think this is a Carolina First bank building going up

CarolinaFirst.jpg

Chapman Cultural Center construction

chapmanconstruction.jpg

bishop.jpg

Happy 175th Spartanburg!

banner.jpg

172EMain.jpg

Advance America HQ

advanceamerica.jpg

advanceamericafront.jpg

Extended Stay America HQ

extendedstay2.jpg

Some guy sitting out front

someguy.jpg

extendedstay3.jpg

greenery.jpg

Federal Courthouse

courthouse2.jpg

courthouse1.jpg

hrbldg.jpg

First Baptist

firstbaptist2.jpg

firstbaptist1.jpg

WOW! :shok: Krazeeboi, you really went on a shooting spree! :D Looks like you picked some good targets too. Late Saturday is the best time to visit downtown Spartanburg, as it is most "alive" at that point, especially near Morgan Square. I also see the great potential here, as well as the gradual progress being made. Hope to see several of the vacant old buildings renovated into unique shops someday soon. :thumbsup:

Wow, thats a fantastic photo tour :) Thanks for sharing krazee!

This is indeed the Carolina First building going up. There will be a mirrored version right next to this one and another behind it.

CarolinaFirst.jpg

The building in the foreground may be the site of a new condo tower, but we don't have any confirmation on that yet. The building in the background is bein renovated, and it is the same building as shown in my photo, below yours:

pepsi.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

This is the site at Broad & Liberty that we keep mentioning. Johnson is building a small midrise here- maybe 3 or 4 stories at most, and it will look similar to the building in the picture below it, from what I understand.

dirt.jpg

172EMain.jpg

(if anyone has an image of the entire 172 Main building it would be very helpful if they could show it :) )

My other comment is that the Smith Drugs building should be improved on the outside. That is a very old company, probably one of the oldest downtown, so I'd like to see them stay. Perhaps the city could finance a facade renovation somehow to take down the shingles.

I think the proposed condo or speculative building is across the street from the building with the pepsi sign. The building pictured that is being gutted is actually at the corner of Liberty and Main. The back of the building is the pepsi sign that fronts Broad. Johnson has already cleared the land at Liberty and Broad, but nothing started yet. Great Photos.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm no stellar photographer by any means, but I thoroughly enjoyed taking the photos.

At first I thought Smith's Drugs was an abandoned storefront until I looked carefully; then I saw that all it needed was a little TLC on the outside.

Is this the 172 Main building:

lawbuilding.jpg

Any plans for the old Spartan hotel?

There's also one section of the city that could use some opportunity; it's this section pictured (hope you all can recognize it):

grit.jpg

I think that's the same section that appears to the right in the pano.

I think the proposed condo or speculative building is across the street from the building with the pepsi sign. The building pictured that is being gutted is actually at the corner of Liberty and Main. The back of the building is the pepsi sign that fronts Broad. Johnson has already cleared the land at Liberty and Broad, but nothing started yet. Great Photos.

Right. Directly accross from the Pepsi sign is this:

dirt.jpg

So that would mean that Johnson is building condos, and not offices. If thats the case, then thats even better, so long as there are shops on the ground floor.

Krazee, that last picture has me baffled. I think that is the area on S Daniel Morgan. That old feed plant, right accross from Gilbert Shoes/Hub City (the red brick building to the right). If so, then that is the area that the city manager and the mayor have mentioned as being a target area for redevelopment, possibly including a park with a water feature, since there is a natural spring in that area. The street just behind there, Harris Pl. would be restored as a residential street.

As for the old Spartan Hotel, I have no idea. I'd like to see it become a hotel again. Though it seems like I recall someone mentioning condos or apartments going there. That could just be an idea from someone here on UP though, so do hold me to it :)

Hub-bub is a local artist organization... http://www.hub-bub.com --- They have renovated the Gilbert Shoe Co. Building on S. Daniel Morgan Ave to be a rent free & create place for artists. They have 4 apartments in there, and the residents keep up the place and produce their art there. Its a great concept. I don't think I have any pictures of this building.

"Over an 11 month period beginning June 1, they will be busy working on their own art portfolios, collaborating together on various creative and community projects, and helping staff The ShowRoom, Spartanburg

Archived