Downtown Marriott Residence Inn

Florida

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a great looking building!! I'm not to sure the palm trees really fit it though. Something a little more indigenous to the panhandle would be more appropriate.

My favorite part of Tally is the landscape and the native trees. It has a northern feel to it with the hills and evergreens, but is still Florida. The most unique city in the state.

I love this design so much, we can use the sabal palm trees that grow in North Florida.We don't need palms that are from Miami and the rest of south florida. It is sad that the other marriot hotel that would be down the street from this one hasn't even started construction yet. But this right heeyea is awesome!!! :D:silly::D:wub:

Contrary to popular belief the Palm is native to this area. They just aren't as abundant as the Oaks and pines. I like the Palms, but if they must change, I'd go with the Crape Merdles, which are truly a Tallahassee signature plant.

...asonJ... thanks for the kind words with regard to the Unique city thing.

West of this building Gaines will be Blvd-like possibly with single lanes on each side, and a lane reserved for street parking. This will be described as the more entertainment-artsy-interactive portion of the street. Then East of the Gaines-RR intersection going toward the dept of Education, it is told this street will be single direction multiple lanes. The other direction will be handled by Madison Street which runs parallel to Gaines.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very weak project. Prime real estate and they put a cheap hotel in there with insignificant architecture, a hotel you see every other block in every midsize to large hotel. This doesn't give me any confidence in the COT being successful making Gaines Street nice at all. Next thing you know they will be moving McDonalds out there on taxpayer dime.

Im not sure I agree with the notion that this building is cheap and insignificant. Surely this corridor can use anything as a pick-me-up and this project is truly attractive. Its colors are lively, and its design uses that corner well. The building takes advantage of the maximum allowable height for the University Transition zoning, and yet the project is small enough not to hurt any future convention hotel that may be located at or near the civic center.

Thanks Jason.

I'm looking forward to this hotel project for a few reasons. One is because we need more hotel rooms of they type in this area of the city, two, the bright colors and bold design will greatly enhance the now dreary corner and breathe fresh life into the Gaines Street Revitalization process. The retail will give commuters a reason to visit this area and enjoy the small shops in the area, and it will also be more reason to add commerce to this area.

I can't wait to see it begin.

• 2 months later...

Archived