Downtown Marriott Residence Inn

Florida

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate that they knocked down those great oaks. That lot was so nice...it looked like a park. I wouldn't mind if it were not a mid grade stucco hotel. I was hoping Gaines Street was going to be more high rent than that...but considering where it is coming from, I probably have too high expectations.

If we were to make every tree into a park... well, we wont go there. I think there are better places to presserve nature, than the stragglin' corner of Gaines and RR, imo. I hate to say that, but i think you will agree, a better park site would be, the chain of parks, sentenial field and franklin basin, and areas that have something other than trees, we have trees everywhere. I am the first to complain when a development knocks out 5 acres of luch forest, but that corner is nothing to cry. the development will be a positive. IMO(as if i had to be redundant and state that it is my own opinion, but i dont what to seem to rude)

Well I agree with you, CMurphy, that this block wouldn't make a good park area. Another good point you made was how Tallahassee could turn current park spaces into vibrant, or useful park space. Enhancing our green space downtown will take us a step closer to vibrance, but is it necessary to add to the inventory at this point... not really!

Considering we've got Cascades Park still contaminated and closed, Doug Burnett Park overgrown and under used, and the chain of parks lining the historic Park Avenue district our downtown would be awesome of all of these green districts were linked.

^What you actually saw yesterday was the finalization of the sale of the property that the Marriott Residence Inn will sit on. Up to the current date, Finvarb doesn't currently own the property, they were simply doing a soil sample and land clearing.

Official ground breaking will be this Friday... part of that news I had to protect until the time was right.

Archived