Downtown Marriott Residence Inn

Florida

I agree. I would have made for a more attractive intersection if we could have gotten a hotel on the Citgo site. I think one may eventually come. There's so much potential along that Gaines Street corridor.

The only thing we need to do now, is re-name the street. Florida Drive or Leon Blvd would better suit.

Good suggestion. I think we already have a Florida Drive or Street etc. And maybe a Leon something too, but I doubt we have a Ponce De Leon Blvd?

Who was Gaines BTW?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should take cues from the greatly named "road to the lake" and rename Gaines to road to the stadium.

Too funny! :lol:

I like Leon Blvd., but I like even better the formal name: Ponce de Leon Blvd.

I do agree we need to re-brand that area as it comes into being something other than the boring generic sounding Gaines Street Corridor.

I can take the harsh criticism but I thought that "Celebration st" would be cool since it leads to the FSU stadium and is supposed to be the new entertainment dist. Plus it kinda has a cool ring to it as "the place to be". :P

I can take the harsh criticism but I thought that "Celebration st" would be cool since it leads to the FSU stadium and is supposed to be the new entertainment dist. Plus it kinda has a cool ring to it as "the place to be". :P

I like their idea of where you are going w/this mracca, however to me the first thing that comes into my mind w/that name is a planned community in Central Florida. I used the online thesaurus and put in the word celebration and it gave me the following synonyms:

carnival

festival

fiesta

gala

jubilee

Renaming it to something like Celebration, Congress, Government drive would make it sound too generic, the street needs a name preferrably with some historical significance. Ponce De Leon is a inconsequential city and reusing the name for a road wouldn't really bode well for an area looking to undergo revitilization.

I'm well aware of that and his lust for the fountain of youth but it's already in use as the name of a town, it's too long winded, and if prounced correctly will probably make us look pretentious. Cascade Drive isn't bad at all probably the best suggestion so far.

I'm well aware of that and his lust for the fountain of youth but it's already in use as the name of a town, it's too long winded, and if prounced correctly will probably make us look pretentious. Cascade Drive isn't bad at all probably the best suggestion so far.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the little burg out your way w/the same name. In ATL the major highway running from midtown to the Decatur area is called Ponce de Leon Ave and I've never really thought of that sounding pretentious, but maybe that's b/c a lot of the locals just call it Ponce.

Hard thing w/the historical perspective is that most of those names have already been used like Lafayette or even more modern ones like Steele. Is there some over looked but deserving historical figure that would be good for this street?

What about Ruby Diamond Blvd and call it the Diamond District? Of course that maybe too much on the FSU side of things and we need a more inclusive name that will united FAMU/FSU rather than divide.

Askew still lives here too! In Westminister Oaks I think.

I don't think we should name anymore streets after people... at least not any more major roads. We need to go with things that are Florida and Tallahassee.

Cascades Blvd sounds best... looking at the future of the road way.

gs-01.jpg

The only thing I have against Road to the Stadium is the fact that it would validate the erroneous claim that Gaines Street is being revitalized for the sole benifit of Florida State University. I don't like that thought, which is why I have a hard time with that name.

On the other Hand (there's a golden band, to remind me of someone, who would not understand... -RT). Things common to the State of Florida, the Universities are Florida icons such as the flamingo, dolphin, manatee, orange, citrus, sunshine.

The only thing I have against Road to the Stadium is the fact that it would validate the erroneous claim that Gaines Street is being revitalized for the sole benifit of Florida State University. I don't like that thought, which is why I have a hard time with that name.

On the other Hand (there's a golden band, to remind me of someone, who would not understand... -RT). Things common to the State of Florida, the Universities are Florida icons such as the flamingo, dolphin, manatee, orange, citrus, sunshine.

Call it "North Florida Parkway"! O-town has Central Florida Parkway after all.

I'm being completely sarcastic road to the lake is the worst name for any street evar! Cascade Blvd is the best suggestion so far, the Florida icon stuff will seem like it's contrived, and Flamingo will probably compell developers to make bright pink buildings and then our eyes will hurt.

Archived