Downtown Marriott Residence Inn

Florida

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Casades Blvd. too. The street definitely looks like a blvd. Of course if you are gonna go w/the flamingo blvd scheme (no not the one in the ugly hinterlands of Broward) I'd suggest Palm Blvd and do it up lighting, landscaping and all in palms. I would be happy. But seriously, Cascades Blvd. is cool.

TJ don't go braggin' too much about that Marriott Residence Inn. You'll get our good buddy SJ all riled ups over it again. BTW I've not seen him around here much lately. I do miss his contributions.

I absolutely love the name Cascades Blvd, but it sounds a little subdued for an entertainment district. The truth is the entire area will be energized by a college atmosphere, so a more generic name like University Boulevard seems more fun and entertaining. The road on the southside of the new Cascade Trail (parallel to Gaines St.) would be a better fit for Cascades Blvd because it presents a more positive outlook for that area of town.

But then I can't say I'm on the Parkway anymore and people know what I'm talking about. I'd have to specify.

Yea, I always call Appalachee Pkwy "Appalachee." I got the Palm Pkwy idea for a road that runs parallel with I-4 (a good alternative to I-4) and goes from Lake Buena Vista (SR 535) to Sand Lake Road, in Orlando. It seems to always go together as Palm Pkwy.

i like Gaines Street... the guy was shot in the mouth in the Seminole War, I think that qualifies him as worthy of a street name in Tallahassee.

Palm Parkway? Sounds like something from Ft. Lauderdale... we're not South FLA and I'd like it to stay that way. How about Live Oak Parkway? The L.O.P. :)

how about we just get gainest street started, this one hotel doesnt do it for me, we still have a delapitated corridor... with not much progress.

wow. way to toss a cold bucket of realism on the discussion! :P you don't like run down industrial areas? c'mon! they're beautiful when the moonlight hits them just so...

i like Gaines Street... the guy was shot in the mouth in the Seminole War, I think that qualifies him as worthy of a street name in Tallahassee.

Palm Parkway? Sounds like something from Ft. Lauderdale... we're not South FLA and I'd like it to stay that way. How about Live Oak Parkway? The L.O.P. :)

Yeah he did get shot in the mouth, but he's already got a city named for him, so that should be enough.

The palm thing is a long standing joke b/c I'm a palm freak. I really doubt GG was serious about it. Monti I'm beginning to think you are StJoe he too hated/feared the power of the palm. :) Don't worry we aren't on the road to being Lauderdale, so rest comfortably my friend.

Live Oak P'way is great, but Live Oaks don't make for good urban landscape as we are learning from the Chain of Parks. :( But I do like the name.

The palm thing is a long standing joke b/c I'm a palm freak. I really doubt GG was serious about it. Monti I'm beginning to think you are StJoe he too hated/feared the power of the palm. :) Don't worry we aren't on the road to being Lauderdale, so rest comfortably my friend.

Actually, I was kind of serious lol. Since, Tallahassee is kind of representative of all things Florida, I thought it was a decent thought.

And its Orlando, not Ft Lauderdale. :thumbsup:

i do fear palm trees... maybe in time we can learn to co-exist... we'll see. :) if live oaks don't work, maybe dogwoods or crepe myrtles? they work nicely in monticello.... regardless, let's get some more buidlings down that way!

anyone hear city commish katz on 100.7 this morning? gaines street will be nice but they'll be traffic so we'd better be careful... it's a city and if it's a desitination area they'll be traffic. we'll deal with it...

Actually, I was kind of serious lol. Since, Tallahassee is kind of representative of all things Florida, I thought it was a decent thought.

You ain't just saying that to make me happy are you GG? :)

After all the Sabal Palm is the official State tree and 5 different species of palms grow native in Leon County. When most think of palms in South FL, they think of Royals and Coconuts and neither would survive even one winter in our climate zone. Several cities I've been to that landscape w/the Palm that are NOT In FL include:

Charleston,SC

Columbia, SC

Myrtle Beach, SC

Augusta, GA

Albany, GA

Savannah, GA

Mobile, AL

New Orleans, LA

Biloxi, MS

Valdosta, GA

etc.

And none of these cities are "trying to look like Miami/South FL" IMO. Nothing looks more Deep South to me than Live Oaks w/Spanish Moss draping down to palms underneath.

And Monti did I read that correctly? Did you suggest the over used, ugly in the winter Crappy Myrtle over a Palm?? :P

• 3 weeks later...

Update: 8.28.06

SonyShots002.jpg

• The building is progressing along at a steady pace. I figure somewhere along the way there was a set back. The project was set to be complete by fall, but Marriott projects to open it in December. With 135 guest rooms, this hotel will be considered a 3 star and will feature the new Marriott bedding. On the ground floor there are 4 spaces of aprox 1000 sq.ft. each for retail.

• Finvarb hasn't announced the signing of any tenants yet, but some word is expected sometime this fall going into the winter. Parking is behind the building, as well as the swimming pool.

I'm not wild about the yellow parts, that color should have been a softer yellow IMHO. Overall I'm pleased w/the bldg., but I know many here will not be. Again I think this would have been a fantastic location for Mellow Mushroom pizza.

How is that project coming along anyway? According to Monti, they built the Golden Gate Bridge in less time than it's taking to build that simple pizza place.

Actually Poonther, in passing it yesterday I noticed it looks almost identical to the way it did when I took the last set of pictures. There was signs of them using some type of finishing material on the outside of the building, I believe it was siding of sorts. It is taking a while. I was hoping to see the place open before school started back.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about anyone else here but Power Lines are a personal pet peeve of mine. I love the looks of the new building, but like many, many areas in Tallahassee it is infested with power lines. Cant we do something about this? I am not mad just throwing out whats on my mind. :)

This is what the rendering should look like if it wants to hold true to actually design:

lol.....

Powerline_Mania.jpg

Actually the real photos look worse than the Image I threw together!!!!!

Archived