Downtown Marriott Residence Inn

Florida

I don't know about anyone else here but Power Lines are a personal pet peeve of mine. I love the looks of the new building, but like many, many areas in Tallahassee it is infested with power lines. Cant we do something about this? I am not mad just throwing out whats on my mind. :)

This is what the rendering should look like if it wants to hold true to actually design:

lol.....

Powerline_Mania.jpg

Actually the real photos look worse than the Image I threw together!!!!!

Here is something I never noticed before, but doesn't the rendering include power lines?

I believe the burying of power lines (on Gaines) will be done as part of Gaines Street revitalization. I'll have to go check my notes because I have no idea what the status is for this project.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is my current understanding of the Gaines Street project too that they will bury the lines.....they better if they truly want the revitalization to be a success. I loathe unsightly power lines just as much as I dislike bad signage. It's all litter to me.

Good rendering there mracca.

SEMINOLE "Here is something I never noticed before," I didn't mean to be negative... I don't want those who haven't noticed to all of a sudden look at this design and think of the Power Lines...!!!!! lol

I am extremely glad that removing the power lines are in the agenda. I walk and jog Gains and the All Saints corridor often so this will be something nice to look forward to.

Thanks for the comments on the rendering, I used Autocad 2007.

i like Gaines Street...

It looks like I'm a little late to the discussion of a possible name change for Gaines St., so I apologize if returning to this subject takes us off course again. I've got to agree with Monticello-1827 on this one. As you'll probably recall from our discussion of a possible name change to the region, I'm a traditionalist on this subject. I think we should retain the name Gaines St.

If we are going to change it though, I would prefer that it not be named anything oceanic. Given Tallahassee's distance from the coast I feel it would be out of character for the city. For the same reason I would oppose a street name with the word "flamingo" in it. It just doesn't have a Tallahassee ring to it in my opinion.

I'm usually against changing street names. Seems silly to me. But I'll play with you all.

I was braining storming about other streets that are "destinations" For example like Church Street and International Drive In orlando. These streets have very generic names but it's the place not the name that sticks in your mind.

I personally would like to avoid all flamingo/palm names. We have WAY too much of that in South Florida. I would perfer that we stick to more local species. (though sable street isn't TOO bad).

Cypress Drive (I think there is one in miami though)

Spring Road (homage to the local springs)

Or perhaps we can go with they "party" names like Jubilee Way.

My dented two cents. Not really awake yet...

It looks like I'm a little late to the discussion of a possible name change for Gaines St., so I apologize if returning to this subject takes us off course again. I've got to agree with Monticello-1827 on this one. As you'll probably recall from our discussion of a possible name change to the region, I'm a traditionalist on this subject. I think we should retain the name Gaines St.

If we are going to change it though, I would prefer that it not be named anything oceanic. Given Tallahassee's distance from the coast I feel it would be out of character for the city. For the same reason I would oppose a street name with the word "flamingo" in it. It just doesn't have a Tallahassee ring to it in my opinion.

Ugh! No offense RJ, but I hate the excuse "it's always been that way so leave it!" Gaines wasn't even a Floridian, he was just a Seminole hunter. The Seminoles and other Native Americans were here first, so Gaines himself was going against the beloved traditions.....no wait they had wrong skin color for preservation of their traditions. There's already a town named after him isn't that enough? I don't care really if the name's changed or not, but sticking to something b/c of tradition for the sake of tradition is silly to me. If we all adopted that mentality the world would still be flat, women and minorities could not vote, all Christians would be Catholic, etc. etc........ Please connect the name Gaines to Tally. I understand why a street like Call (Richard Call) or Apalachee (the Native Americans) should not be changed b/c of local connections, but can you do that w/Gaines?

And as for anything oceanic, yeah 18 miles by way of the crow is just too far. (I'm being sarcastic here. :) )

I don't like Flamingo really since none are native here. I do like DD's Cypress idea, but Springs is just too generic.

Again not a slam against you RJ(you knew it was coming bud) just slamming the idea that things should remain the way they are b/c well it's always been that way. UGH. :D

Hey, poonther. First of all, no offense taken. You're right, I had a feeling I would get some reaction on my take on the matter. :) I also hope that my post showed that I'm open to the matter of a new name (I gave my preferences on what I would not like it to be) but that I would prefer it remain Gaines. I do like tradition in many (but not all) forms. I think it is often a thing to be respected. Ultimately though I'm just a distant, former Tallahasseean who likes to post here out of love for his former home. The future of Tallahassee is in your hands.

I realize you were being sarcastic regarding your comment about Tallahassee's distance to the ocean, but does Tallahassee really have a coastal feel to anyone here? Having grown up in the Big Bend, the coast to me always seemed near enough to be accessible, but far enough away that it was a trip to reach. Using an oceanic naming scheme for the streets just doesn't feel like Tallahassee to me.

I'm pretty excited about cascade park right now, however, I don't see how Gaines St will turn out to be anything but a disappointment.

Ah man don't "poo-poo" it before it's started. :D Have a smidgen of faith???????????? It's got to better than what we've got now????

RJ you are right you did show us you are open to the possibility of a name change. On the subject of traditions, I understand what you mean but I don't understand why the name Gaines has to be respected? As I've said before this name really has nothing personal to do w/Tally. Heck I'm not even sure if the Indian hunter even made it to town or not.

I agree Tally doesn't have a beach feel. It's not like South FL but having put time in on the West Coast and New England, all coast aren't flat and scrubby. Actually though I think Tally is in the Live Oak/Spanish Moss Zone. To me that's the tiny zone just north of the beach zone w/great cities like New Orleans, Mobile, Tally, parts of Jax, Savannah and Charleston in it. While it's not the true beach zone, I do associate some forms of water in that zone. We definitely have a different feel here than up in Albany or Columbus Ga or Montgomery, AL...heck even Dothan. I can see the blending of coastal and inland stuff here especially since we are the State Capital of a big beach state. Now I don't like Flamingo, but palms I don't always associate w/the beach or South FL. I do like those dolphins at the Capitol.

On the subject of traditions, I understand what you mean but I don't understand why the name Gaines has to be respected? As I've said before this name really has nothing personal to do w/Tally. Heck I'm not even sure if the Indian hunter even made it to town or not.

It doesn't have to be respected. It could certainly change, but I just don't see the need. I think it's interesting to know who streets are named after, but for me the tradition of the name is often times just as important as the history behind the name itself. At least as far as its relevance to our city is concerned.

Often times I think this resistance to change is what holds us back in Tally. I know you are just talking street names here RJ, so I'm not putting you in that category. We are a city more of followers and of not upsetting the status quo and particularly not upsetting the "old guard, " who and whatever that is.

Few of our politicians are what you'd call bold leaders. Look at Al Lawson, today's there a story about him and his support for Guv. I understand what he's trying to do, but get off the fence AL and support a candidate. I've always been glad he's not my Rep. I'm in the tiny stretching arm of Nancy A.'s district. She's a Rep. and I'm a Democrat, but I respect the hell out of her b/c she speaks her mind, you know where she stands and she'll fight for you even if the position isn't popular w/those running the show.

To me one of the most bold/innovative leaders we have in town is Rick Kearny, Summit East. He just went out and did what he needed to do. I also think that Dr. Bill Law fits in this category too. I'm not sure about TK, I believe what you may think is bold from him is just his way protecting the "old guard." Many of our leaders are like Jane Sauls. While she's a nice lady, but she isn't what you'd call bold or innovative, would you?

Most of the time in Tally I think the mantra is "don't rock the boat and just stick to what has worked in the past." This is the type of ideology that is letting others cities get ahead of us and we need to get away from that type of thinking FAST IMHO.

I'm in the tiny stretching arm of Nancy A.'s district. She's a Rep. and I'm a Democrat, but I respect the hell out of her b/c she speaks her mind, you know where she stands and she'll fight for you even if the position isn't popular w/those running the show.

Sen. Argenziano is many things, but a Republican she is not! She is a RINO.

Prime example of why she should be admired. Thanks for driving the point home GG. :P

I see what you thought I meant. What I was referring to though, was the fact that she registers as a Republican in a heavily Republican district, just so she can win the seat. No admiration there. If your going to win/lose something, dont do it pretending to be someone/thing else.

I see what you thought I meant. What I was referring to though, was the fact that she registers as a Republican in a heavily Republican district, just so she can win the seat. No admiration there. If your going to win/lose something, dont do it pretending to be someone/thing else.

^Sounds like Larry Campbell to me.

From the perspective of a 80s generation Tallahasseean, I take the same view as Poonther in seeing us adhere to the rules of an unknown elite. I have no clue what forces keep certain businesses from considering Tallahassee nor do I understand the forces that prohbit a community as smart as ours to use our brain at times. Truly there is no reason for any self respecting city, namely a capital city, to not have the proper transportation infrastructre already in place. Look at Jackson Mississippi, a city much like Tallahassee in both size, population, and status as a state Capital. Jackson's advantage over Tallahassee are its highways, despite the fact that they are crumbling. I'd rather have crumbling expressways, than none at all.

But back to the establishment, Tallahassee has SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much old money in pockets of this community. These are likely the ones controlling the economics around here.

I agree. Rick Kearney and Bill Law are awesome examples of leaders we should look to "hire" moving into the future. Tallahassee can still be a great place to live when New Traditions are created.

^Sounds like Larry Campbell to me.

From the perspective of a 80s generation Tallahasseean, I take the same view as Poonther in seeing us adhere to the rules of an unknown elite. I have no clue what forces keep certain businesses from considering Tallahassee nor do I understand the forces that prohbit a community as smart as ours to use our brain at times. Truly there is no reason for any self respecting city, namely a capital city, to not have the proper transportation infrastructre already in place. Look at Jackson Mississippi, a city much like Tallahassee in both size, population, and status as a state Capital. Jackson's advantage over Tallahassee are its highways, despite the fact that they are crumbling. I'd rather have crumbling expressways, than none at all.

But back to the establishment, Tallahassee has SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much old money in pockets of this community. These are likely the ones controlling the economics around here.

I agree. Rick Kearney and Bill Law are awesome examples of leaders we should look to "hire" moving into the future. Tallahassee can still be a great place to live when New Traditions are created.

I would tend to agree with everything except for that in Bold.

You think that's Nancy A. GG? I follow her closely and there's a lot of stuff she believes in and votes for that is truly Republican. Anyway, Democrat/Republican/ or steaming pile of cow patty mailer.......I admire the gal for her spunk!

You are right TJ, Larry Campbell, a Democrat? Dream on Sheriff Bubba!!!! :)

Great line here TJ:

"Tallahassee can still be a great place to live when New Traditions are created."

GG why don't you believe your bolded line? I'm not disagreeing at all, I'm just confused/curious as to who you believe controls this?

• 4 weeks later...

You think that's Nancy A. GG? I follow her closely and there's a lot of stuff she believes in and votes for that is truly Republican. Anyway, Democrat/Republican/ or steaming pile of cow patty mailer.......I admire the gal for her spunk!

You are right TJ, Larry Campbell, a Democrat? Dream on Sheriff Bubba!!!! :)

Great line here TJ:

"Tallahassee can still be a great place to live when New Traditions are created."

GG why don't you believe your bolded line? I'm not disagreeing at all, I'm just confused/curious as to who you believe controls this?

I'm glad you liked that line.

This Marriott is nearing the finish line. I still think a tropical smoothie and / or Quiznos sub would make a great tenant for the ground floor. I think another great project for this street would be a two story Border's Bookstore on the Citgo Corner. Same color scheme and everything... with some living quarters (apartments for students... maybe 4-5 stories all the way down to Stadium Drive. Wouldn't it be lovely!?

I agree TJ. That would be really nice and provide a new "social center" I guess you could call it. Kind of like a walking mall sort of thing. There could be diagonal parking (with respect to the flow of traffic) on each side of the street with large sidewalks. Nice stores on either side with living quarters/small buisness upstairs.

I was up at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, KY two summers ago for a while, and they have a street very similar to what it sounds like you are talking about. It was very nice. Trees were planted in the middle of the sidewalks on either side of the street. Lots of people out walking around. Lots of nice, small shops up and down the road-- retail and places to eat. It was very clean as well.

Anyways, I like the idea. Now if we could just get someone to finance it.

I agree TJ. That would be really nice and provide a new "social center" I guess you could call it. Kind of like a walking mall sort of thing. There could be diagonal parking (with respect to the flow of traffic) on each side of the street with large sidewalks. Nice stores on either side with living quarters/small buisness upstairs.

I was up at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, KY two summers ago for a while, and they have a street very similar to what it sounds like you are talking about. It was very nice. Trees were planted in the middle of the sidewalks on either side of the street. Lots of people out walking around. Lots of nice, small shops up and down the road-- retail and places to eat. It was very clean as well.

Anyways, I like the idea. Now if we could just get someone to finance it.

So many streets out there would fit this concept that exist now, whether it be Collegetown adjacent to Cornell, Guadalupe St, adjacent to the University of Texas, even to an extent University Ave in Gainesville. At least here, there are two colleges and 60,000 students to pull from, so there is enough of a population to justify a large amount of retail and restaurants along this strip.

You are right psycuda these entertainment districts near large colleges and universities exist all over the country. I'm almost willing to bet that we have one of the largest student populations in a city without one of these areas. It's not like we are "inventing the wheel," but again it seems as many in this town in leadership positions think and act like we are. Just shut up and get it done folks! :D

I wanted to buy one of the Cloisters at All Saints so that I would be really clsoe to downtown and while I liked the units the fact that they were essentially a condo in that you didnt own the land was a major turn off. I would really like living downtown especially on gaines but it dosen't seem likely.

Archived