Downtown Marriott Residence Inn

Florida

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Jason.

I'm looking forward to this hotel project for a few reasons. One is because we need more hotel rooms of they type in this area of the city, two, the bright colors and bold design will greatly enhance the now dreary corner and breathe fresh life into the Gaines Street Revitalization process. The retail will give commuters a reason to visit this area and enjoy the small shops in the area, and it will also be more reason to add commerce to this area.

I can't wait to see it begin.

1. Yes Gaines needs the development....

2. The design sucks! looks way too much like every other marriot along I-75. Could have been a little more Tallahasseen in its design vernacular.

3. gaines needs the business....

4. The gaines street traffic plan hurts potential business along the east end of Gaines.

5. Some palm trees are native to N. Florida. Problem with deciduos trees for a developer is all the mess...But there is a new upright/verticle form of a Southern Live Oak (quercus virginia (sp). that was developed for urban settings were canopy spread is limited.

6. they could have designed colonades or awnings along the street to offer shade to peds.. see #2....

7. yes it is a commanding site for that intersection and I'm praod to see development....it could look better....

2. The design sucks! looks way too much like every other marriot along I-75. Could have been a little more Tallahasseen in its design vernacular.

4. The gaines street traffic plan hurts potential business along the east end of Gaines.

5. Some palm trees are native to N. Florida. Problem with deciduos trees for a developer is all the mess...But there is a new upright/verticle form of a Southern Live Oak (quercus virginia (sp). that was developed for urban settings were canopy spread is limited.

6. they could have designed colonades or awnings along the street to offer shade to peds.. see #2....

7. yes it is a commanding site for that intersection and I'm praod to see development....it could look better....

No design will ever please every person completely, but compared to what was originally proposed by the developer this current design is miles better than before. For that reason I really like it. Its a little different for Tallahassee, but the times cause for things to be shaken up a bit. We have an opportunity to create a district that invites others to see the other side of Florida in their otherwise traditional Capital City. We could run with this design and create a marevelous district for residents and visitors alike to enjoy.

I'll argue the Gaines Street plan isn't perfect but is as good as its going to be. One way streets don't spell the end of the world, especially where so much planning and design has gone into a project. This Gaines Street project has been in waiting since the late 90s and I'll argue it will be well worth the wait when completed.

For Gaines Street... I say let the sun shine. There is a shadow being cast over our entire city by tree canopy or whatever else... nothings wrong with a little bit of sunshine and sky. :D

I total agree with #2. The design of the hotel on the kep plot of land puts the area as one step above low rent and little more. It is better than what the area has...but that wont turn the area into a destination. Not even close.

I have said before and will stand by it. I fear the COT will fail at making Gaines Street any kind of "destination" or impressive "gateway". The area will be improved, but for all the effort, I would like to see actual success.

I total agree with #2. The design of the hotel on the kep plot of land puts the area as one step above low rent and little more. It is better than what the area has...but that wont turn the area into a destination. Not even close.

I have said before and will stand by it. I fear the COT will fail at making Gaines Street any kind of "destination" or impressive "gateway". The area will be improved, but for all the effort, I would like to see actual success.

i third that emotion........design sucks. strange though. .... i went by the site several months ago and found a web address off of the construction sign. looked it up and the design was brick and fit nicely into the fsu mood. so i am a bit confused as to what i saw on the building designers web page and what i see on the urbanplanet site...

COT should stick to the plan and make gaines a destination......st. joe i hope you are wrong and it does not become a "nicer" version of tennessee st.

need to shade the peds all along the street...create something similar to what you see in the buildings surrounding the plazas in south america....shade in the summertime is good...

g

I'm just glad something is happening in this area. While the design isn't perfect, it's better than nothing and it doesn't look like every motel on the interstate. It does look a lot like many urban setting motels that is true. Finally a design comes in w/some palms and I'm glad for it. A mix of shade oaks would be nice too (oaks and palms can co-exist) and let's just hope that they don't add crappy myrtles.

I never assumed that this extended-stay motel would bring Gaines back from the dead, but at least it's a start and they've built the thing in timely manner, something that doesn't happen around here often. I'm very glad to see it isn't red brick w/white columns like that hideous office park being built out at T'ville and I-10 (I do like the fountains.) Every time I pass that place, I feel like I need to enroll my kid in the University of Georgia-Tally branch.

I'm just glad something is happening in this area. While the design isn't perfect, it's better than nothing and it doesn't look like every motel on the interstate. It does look a lot like many urban setting motels that is true. Finally a design comes in w/some palms and I'm glad for it. A mix of shade oaks would be nice too (oaks and palms can co-exist) and let's just hope that they don't add crappy myrtles.

I never assumed that this extended-stay motel would bring Gaines back from the dead, but at least it's a start and they've built the thing in timely manner, something that doesn't happen around here often. I'm very glad to see it isn't red brick w/white columns like that hideous office park being built out at T'ville and I-10 (I do like the fountains.) Every time I pass that place, I feel like I need to enroll my kid in the University of Georgia-Tally branch.

i went to uga, and it could not please me more if gaines st. became similar to downtown athens. that is what gaines st should strive for. i do agree it is a start, and i also believe we should email the legislature and state the need for them to fund fsu land acquisition program. recieved an email from t.k. this morning stating they have not recieved funds for this program in three years. a revitalized gaines st is just as important as fsu expansion needs..

^ I think in theory striving to a have the Gaines street area like DT Athens is a great idea. I just don't want it look like it in style/architecture. Not there's anything wrong w/that style except that it's GA and this is FL, no matter how close the border is.

^ I think in theory striving to a have the Gaines street area like DT Athens is a great idea. I just don't want it look like it in style/architecture. Not there's anything wrong w/that style except that it's GA and this is FL, no matter how close the border is.

yes this is florida, but i would say architecturally, tally is more similar to athens than south florida. keeping it uniquely tally is more important than making it uniquely florida. just don't do it on the cheap, build it and they will come.

g

I find Tally to be both a mix of the South and of Florida, that's why I like it here. Whenever I mention FL design, folks always jump on the "it ain't South Fl/Miami." We'll that's not what I'm talking about at all. There's a lot more to FL than just South FL pink stucco. North FL design to me is a mix of both of these worlds...some brick, some stucco, some old FL cracker style, some oaks, some palms etc etc. I don't want things here to look exactly like GA (or else I'd have moved to ATL) just as I don't want them to look exactly like South FL( or else I'd have never left that area.) What I want is a sweet blend of the two....that would be nice and that is uniquely Tally to me.

I find Tally to be both a mix of the South and of Florida, that's why I like it here. Whenever I mention FL design, folks always jump on the "it ain't South Fl/Miami." We'll that's not what I'm talking about at all. There's a lot more to FL than just South FL pink stucco. North FL design to me is a mix of both of these worlds...some brick, some stucco, some old FL cracker style, some oaks, some palms etc etc. I don't want things here to look exactly like GA (or else I'd have moved to ATL) just as I don't want them to look exactly like South FL( or else I'd have never left that area.) What I want is a sweet blend of the two....that would be nice and that is uniquely Tally to me.

well put

To me there's a side of Tallahassee that's neither GA or South Florida that I admire most. I'd compare it to New Orleans in some way because there is so much French influence in alot of the buildings I see. But then there's the whole Earth-Tone thing... which is uniquely North Florida that I absolutely love. I think Tennyson was able to caputure all of these qualities into its design.

I think Marriott wants to keep the same familiar look for all their buildings. They dont really care about helping Tallahassee and adjusting to their needs. They care abouot Marriott's needs and bottom lines.

Tallahassee needs a little more of the "other" Florida look to it (Tennyson is a great start). It is the capital and represents the whole state. I, like Poonther, am getting sick of brick with white columns.

While I'm not yet sick of the very classy looking brick and column buildings, I do agree that there is a place here for reminders of "The other Florida". Like you Go Gators, I think This project and the Tennyson are good starts.

I bet we'll all love the final product when its finished... even those of us who claim to hate it now.

I think Marriott wants to keep the same familiar look for all their buildings. They dont really care about helping Tallahassee and adjusting to their needs. They care abouot Marriott's needs and bottom lines.

Tallahassee needs a little more of the "other" Florida look to it (Tennyson is a great start). It is the capital and represents the whole state. I, like Poonther, am getting sick of brick with white columns.

i agree with your brick and white columns statement, but i also get sick of the marriotts and their basic needs construction as well....

fund the public universities.....off of the subject a bit, but u of f gets all the bacon....the university system needs two to three u of f stature universities in this state........fsu and south florida need equal funding to that of u of f....no response needed just venting....

if jeb wants those high paying high tech jobs, the legislature needs to pull our university system of of the gutter with respect to funding.....we are the bottom 5...embarrassing.

go gators, go noles, go bulls...

While I'm not yet sick of the very classy looking brick and column buildings...

Wow Tj, you should be a reporter, b/c you drove that headline to read how you wanted lol!

I agree its classy, and I really like it. But change is nice. Its kinda like the old days of having only black Model T's to choose from.

i agree with your brick and white columns statement, but i also get sick of the marriotts and their basic needs construction as well....

Yea, but you recognize exactly what it is when you see it. Their goal is to make the best product possible at the lowest possible price. True, the "cookie cutters" are often the result, but its all about recognition.

go gators, go noles, go bulls...

Now that is a politically correct statement.

Yea, but you recognize exactly what it is when you see it. Their goal is to make the best product possible at the lowest possible price. True, the "cookie cutters" are often the result, but its all about recognition.

Now that is a politically correct statement.

when it comes to the state i pull for it.....u of f is nationally recognized and aau member university....if the state of florida has two more aau members....we all win....with regard to fsu, it brings more research dollars to tallahassee and that is good for the local economy. more high paid professors living downtown, eating at our restaurants, and just spending the cash.....

lates

g

Wow Tj, you should be a reporter, b/c you drove that headline to read how you wanted lol!

I agree its classy, and I really like it. But change is nice. Its kinda like the old days of having only black Model T's to choose from.

A reporter huh? I never thought about that one... Al Gore was a journalist for a few years (no replies necessary... he's a personal hero of mine). Maybe I'll consider it! :D

I liked those black model T's... you can get them any color as long as its black.

I can't get over how nice this hotel looks to me... its no Waldorff but its no cookie cutter either.

tala1.jpg

And if it is cookie cutter... its a darn shame it took Marriott to design a building that wraps a corner this well.

There are a dozens of hotels just like this at most cities I have been to. It is OK, but this is the cornerstone lot on the Gaines Street project. I can't believe with the time (since 93) they have worked on this and the money spent on this project, this was as good as they good do. Average is the best I can give the city on this.

Average is OK....but it is disappointing if the goal is really to become a "destination area".

I can't get over how nice this hotel looks to me... its no Waldorff but its no cookie cutter either.

And if it is cookie cutter... its a darn shame it took Marriott to design a building that wraps a corner this well.

Well, by cookie-cutter, I meant the basic template of most Residence Inn's...I dont mean the typical road side budget motels on the interstates by any means.

Archived