Downtown Marriott Residence Inn

Florida

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there sure is a mess of powerlines at that corner. The building seems to be moving very fast relative to other all-concrete buildings. They are using pre-cast floor sections and tying them into the walls with poured edges with rebar. That seems to save a bunch of time vs. forming and pouring floors. I wonder if that technique is strong enough to use on taller project?

• 1 month later...

This building has made significan progress since our last update. It seems the crews working on the building are taking their time to ensure this is a quality built facility. It looks much larger at this stage than I thought it would judging from eariler construction pictures.

SonyShots216.jpg

SonyShots215.jpg

SonyShots213.jpg

SonyShots212.jpg

SonyShots208.jpg

SonyShots207.jpg

SonyShots206.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

can't stand this hotel.

It sits way too close to the road. How are they going to make a pedistrian walk way with this so close?

Plus it is just a 2-3 star hotel. The cornerstone lot for the Gaines Street Renovation is a Residence Inn. This shows you how high the bar has been set by the COT.

broken record?!

I think its swell. I want that 4-5 star to be the convention center anyway, not a college gameday, graduation hotel in the entertainment district. Just imagine the hotel that could fill the lot south of the PAC! would that not be a much better place to bury a ton of money! I do believe so. The marriot will fill its particular function quite nicely. Visiting parents and fans must be able to afford a hotel room to support the economics we need to thriven up gaines.

"broken record?!"

Yes, you are.

"I want that 4-5 star to be the convention center anyway, not a college gameday, graduation hotel in the entertainment district."

LOL...entertainment district?! Who goes to Gaines Street for entertainment?

I agree that the hotel will be a fun addition to the Gaines Street Area. I know its not a 4-5 Star but it will add color and life to that long dead corner. The Citgo block seems like it might go up for grabs soon too. Who knows what could happen there, maybe another lively looking building. Soon we could paint the mast arm light posts white, lays some palms down the median and have our own little tropical oasis right here in Tallahassee.

I'm in agreement that the hotel fits well in the location on Gaines. No it's not a 4 or 5 star hotel, but I'm actually loving this new hotel development and I commend the developer for being the first to take a risk in an area that has been totally neglected and ruined by industrial activities. I'm not sure what the future holds for Gaines Street, but there is no doubt in my mind that the college atmosphere will be a major part of whatever happens. On that note, I'm not sure that this site is suitable for a 4 or 5 star hotel anyway.

Given the long delays and anguish involved with the proposed Civic Center Hotel, we as citizens of Tallahassee should not accept anything less than a 4 or 5 star development - if it ever happens. Besides, the Civic Center (or a location near the Capitol) is the best location for this type of development and if it's done correctly, it could be visible from both Gaines and Tennessee Streets.

I'm going to let that be your opinion. Firehouse is a heartburn waiting to happen. I guess that's why they need the Firetrucks as an icon.

Quiznos offers so much variety, great tasting food, has a contemporary look that would fit in well with this location, and isn't all that expensive to me. Firehouse and Quiznos are in the same price range anyhow.

What is the tastiest sub at Firehouse to you TD?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

August 6, 2006

Bricks and stucco going on. This one should be ready for football season!

SonyShots140.jpg

SonyShots141.jpg

I saw this when I was in Tally for the weekend. Its really coming along nicely. They should have put that Hilton Garden Inn on the Parkway right across the street from it, good competition and good solid tenants on 2 key corners of the Gaines area.

I agree. I would have made for a more attractive intersection if we could have gotten a hotel on the Citgo site. I think one may eventually come. There's so much potential along that Gaines Street corridor.

The only thing we need to do now, is re-name the street. Florida Drive or Leon Blvd would better suit.

Archived