Frenchtown

Florida

Welcome to Frenchtown

DSC00405.jpg

Eight years ago, the city Commission approved a strategy for the revitaliation of Frenchtown, which consisted of several components which focused on increased public safety, access to neighborhood services, improving the residential viability of the community and increased employment and commerical opportunities.

The City, in partnership with all aspects of the Frenchtown Community, has implemented a number of programs and initiatives. These actions have already resulted in significant improvemens such as crime reduction and increased construction of single family homes in the area.

The following is a list of major projects that are proposed or currently underway in the Frenchtown Revitalization area.

Frenchtown Village Market Place: A $9 million mixed-use development consisting of approximately 15,000 sq.ft. of retail and commercial space as well as 24 townhouse and condominium units which will be located in the 600 block of Macomb Street. The Frenchtown Community Development Corporation is developing this project and is in the final stages of site plan development and review.

Urban Entertainment Center: Estimated to cost $85 million wiht 261,000 sq.ft. a mixed-use development that will contain shops, a hotel, restaurants, a performing arts facility (?), theatre, museum of African American History, Science and Technology, and condominium housing. The center will be developed on the five acre site in the 500 block of Tennessee Street. The City has been awarded a $1.5 million HUD Economic Development Initiative Grant that will be used in conjunction with an $8 million HUD 108 loan.

Carolina Place: A 15 Unit single family detached affordable housing subdivsion. The City is in the process of finalizing the development agreement with the selected developer (Aspirant Homes) Housing Tallahassee LLC. Construction has begun.

Carolina Oaks: An 11 unit single family detached housing subdivision being developed by Bethel Baptist Church (My church). The anticipated price is in the upper rance of housing affordability for Tallahassee. Construction has begun.

Macomb Street Station: A propsed mixed use development consisting of first floor commercial and retail, second floor office and four to five floors of graduate student housing. The project is in the final stages of land aggregation and the preliminary stages of site design.

Ebony Gardens: The Tallahassee Housing Authority is preposing to replace this 102-unit public housing development at 1010 Macomb Street with single family housing.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Its definately about time. While I was in school, I could never figure out why Tally (a city with 3 large colleges), wasn't as vibrant (urban college atmosphere-wise), as other college towns like Athens, Ann Arbor and Madison. I'm looking forward to seeing the city finally live up to its potential.

Thing is... the city doesn't intend on turning Frenchtown into an entertainment district, but like you pointed out, it is close to the Tennessee bars and clubs, and just across from many of FSU's performing arts venues that the possibility of entertainment leaking into Frenchtown is likely.

Currently, however, the City of Tallahassee is working on improving the quality of life in this Front Porch community by renovating, rebuilding, and cleaning up homes (through code enforcement sweeps). The results are materializing.

I credit the City Manager, Anita Favors, and her crew for being so well rounded and able to tackle so many tasks at once.

• 2 weeks later...

Modern complex coming

Supplement from the Tallahassee Democrat ®

The housing authority is a quasi-governmental agency, which is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and manages 700 affordable housing units in Tallahassee. The agency took over Ebony Gardens in 1977 after the private development company that built the complex defaulted on its loan with HUD.

Since 2002, the housing authority has requested HUD money to demolish Ebony Gardens and create a more modern complex of affordable housing. Last June, HUD approved $753,000 for the demolition.

Last week, workers began stripping the complex, removing aluminum, lighting fixtures, cabinets and heating furnaces that can be recycled or used in other housing-authority properties. In June, a local contractor will demolish the remaining seven buildings. In May, HUD will rule on the housing authority's application for $18 million to build the townhouses, which will be rented to various levels of lower-income residents. If HUD demurs, the housing authority will seek funding from other sources.

The countdown to demolition has encountered some resistance. The 48 families were notified last June that they would have to move by mid-2005. The housing authority offered residents relocation money, help in finding new homes, transportation and even employment counseling. Forty-one families moved out. The remaining seven families were sent letters on Feb. 17, indicating they had to be out in 90 days (May 18). But on April 6, the housing authority hand-delivered letters saying evictions would start this week and evicted residents would not qualify for re-location money, which can be as much as $2,500.

I can really see Frenchtown becoming a place of entertainment, it once was, but I also agree that Tallahasse needs to establish a powerhouse entertainment district first(gaines street). ^_^ I am glad that the city is getting rid of some of the homes that are mostly seen as eye soars for better ones in frenchtown , but I think they should keep some of them and turn them into historic sites or something. It could be like a reminder for the community to see where the communtity came from and where it is going.

Cityboy... in reading your post I got the best idea for the frenchtown area. I;d figure instead of trying to establish another entertainment district, this could become a brownstone community... this is just an idea... think about the Cosby Show... remember the street shots of those homes and how peaceful that inner city community was. I can just imagine the feeling of going home to french-style, two/three story brickfront brownstones where families could possibly run law, or medical practices out of their homes much like the Huxtables did.

Or maybe we could keep things commercial and move in some type of Southern-style resturants, barber shops, a post office, book store, african-american museum. Posibilities are endless here.

:w00t: There are a indeed a lot of possibilities when it comes to frenchtown. This is how I see it. I think Frenchtown should become an entertainment district. I can see Gaines street being a place where college students or the younger generation goes. Everything over there would be "newschool." But for Frenchtown I can see this as a high sophistication area, a place for the (how should I say it) "grown and sexy, old school." The brownstone community you mentioned TaureanJ would also go good with this. They could still add resturants, bookstores, museums, barbershops,etc. Which would really enhance the area. This wouldn't be French Quarter like, but Frenchtown like. :D

Ok this is how I think the architecture for Frenchtown should look. Every house in this community should have a porch. This would be be like a major signature for the area. I like the brownstone thought, some of the porches could be made out of brick and some made of wood. I like the lighting they have in frechtown, that's really nice, they should like tie banners or put signs on the lighting posts to show that you are in Frenchtown. Some of them could say "Frenchtown welcomes you", "the city of Tallahassee presents Frenchtown. The commercial areas should be made out of brick like it is mostly today. It would be really nice if they could like install a fountain in this area. If I was to choose an architectural syle for Frenchtown I would have a blend of Chicago and New Orleans. It wouldn't want it to be a French quarter look. Any other thoughts on how the Frenchtown architecture should be? :)

^Ya know... it sounds like you've got some plan for french town. I like the thought of New Orlean's Style architecture, that would bode well with the history of this area. Additionally I think you've got some good ideas with regard to the signage that alerts passer-trus that "You are in Frenchtown".

This could become the city's new Jazz quarters, I can see a music store in this area selling instruments, and an amphatheatre of some sort where musicians would sit out and perform for a passing audience. And did I hear someone say resturant serving Gumbo and Jumbalya? The ideas are flowing now!

Frenchtown's is bouned by Tennessee St (US 90) on the South and 4th Avenue on the North. Im not sure of its east west stretch, but if I had to guess I'd say Dewey on the West and Brounough to the East.

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing that we've done all of this dreaming of what could become of Frenchtown when all along someone was thinking along the same lines. I've just recieved access to these classified renderings of what is to become of what we now know as Frenchtown Tallahassee. Developers take note of this or you might miss out:

market_square.jpg

Frenchtown Market Square

Imagine window shopping along this nicely designed building. Or enjoying a meal and a newspaper on a patio table streetside.

retail.jpg

Frenchtown Retail

Just like the centers shopping centers northeast of Tallahassee, surely these retail shops will offer much from specialty clothing shops, real estate offices, barber shops, boutiques, and possibly even a fresh foods store or meat market. I see endless opportunities.

office_building.jpg

Frenchtown Office Center

Thought about owning a business in the revitalized Frenchtown Area? Here is your opportunity. This office building will be constructed as part of this commercial plaza and will likely attract a service company of sorts. If you are looking for a highly visable location, in a high priority neighborhood look no further, you've found it.

townhouses.jpg

The TowneHomes at Frenchtown

Now you can walk to that very convnienant Frenchtown job of yours. This brick Frenchtown-home will become the envy of all of your friends who'd wish they had the convienance of walking to work, or to the downtown area, or to church. Kids will enjoy great schools, and if you're a college student you don't have to worry about parking on campus... just walk out your front door and campus is across the street!

parking.jpg

Frenchtown Parking Garage

They've thought of everything for this neighborhood! You've got your shops, your offices, your homes, and now a place to park. If this isn't good urban planning I don't know what is. I am truly excited to see the work being done to build up this historic community in Florida's Capital City. When all of this work is done, Frenchtown will become the new pride and joy of Tallahassee.

^I believe this design was commissioned by the City. I hope a developer is in on the plan, it could quite possibly be Booth, the same company that built the Frenchtown Renissance Building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice buildings...what street would they be on? Are these renderings suggestions or something solid?

Again though, the COT just put a nice building up in French town (which you have indicated) it is right next to the homeless shelter off of Tenn Street (whichc is dangerous for the homeless FYI...not to mention students). Only the COT would decide to try and put high end office/shopping, etc next to a homeless shelter.

These buildings are suppose to help make Frenchtown this place of entertainment, shopping, and work. These shops and offices will help in the revitalization of this area. This will also help draw people into the "city" for shopping instead of going somewhere like Killearn. Miami's downtown area is full of homeless, but that still doesn't stop people from going to work, shopping, and having a good time there. And about Tenn St. being a dangerous place for students and homeless people I think these people should know by now how to cross a street. :)

These buildings are suppose to help make Frenchtown this place of entertainment,  shopping, and work. These shops and offices will help in the revitalization of this area. This will also help draw people into the "city" for shopping instead of going somewhere like Killearn.  Miami's downtown area is full of homeless, but that still doesn't stop people from going to work, shopping, and having a good time there. And  about Tenn St. being a dangerous place for students and homeless people I think these people should know by now how to cross a street. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Supposed" to? yes....going to attract shoppers instead of Killearn? I hope so...but doubt it. Miami and Tally are two different areas....Tally shoppers aren't going to drive from the burbs all the way to French town for some shops right next to a homeless shelter. Just won't happen.

Tenn St is dangerous for pedistrians...that has been an issue in Tally for many many years. That is well documented.

^Surely you aren't speaking for all of Tallahasseans who often drive over this entire community in search of that perfect item. I am one who likes to spread my money around, surely I will give this revitalized area a try.

The City of Tallahassee is agressively working to relocate the shelter, meanwhile, what would you suggest this city do with this area once left for crime, and homeless infestation? Surely I wouldn't want to abandon it and leave it for more of the same. The City of Tallahassee is doing a good thing by investing our money in projects that breathe new life into forgotten corners.

Archived