Frenchtown

Florida

• 1 month later...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:w00t: WELCOME TO URBAN PLANET :w00t:

UNICORN!!!!!

I think there is a priority list for those seeking to purchase one of the homes in Frenchtown. They will be made available to those already living in the community before they are opened up to the rest of the market. Tom Lewis with neighorhood and community services department (City of Tallahassee) may be able to offer you a little more information on this, or it may be possible for you to talk to Cory over Aspirant homes... he's the builder of most oF these homes.

The village is still on the drawing boards. The new building, being the one Cityboy spoke of. Its a proposal to build an 8 story tower. My feelings are indifferent until I see the rendering. Quite frankly... I'd much rather see something smaller in scale in this area like 5 stories or fewer with that New Orleans style architecture adopted.

I hope all this happens. U might be working down there soon and it would be nice to have something to look out at other than a vacant lot or the worn down block of shops going toward Tennessee.

The village is still on the drawing boards. The new building, being the one Cityboy spoke of. Its a proposal to build an 8 story tower. My feelings are indifferent until I see the rendering. Quite frankly... I'd much rather see something smaller in scale in this area like 5 stories or fewer with that New Orleans style architecture adopted.

Like you I'll take the height and compatible use. I want some more historic-looking buildings to atone for the fact that we no longer have many. As for the Frenchtown community itself... it has a long way to go. The Renissance Center was a great start, but Frenchtown is far from liveable. I like the fact that quality homes are being built in the area, however, I am cautiously aware of the fact that there are still a great number of homeless people wondering around in the community, there is still prostitution, there is still a good bit of crime. Yes the Police Department has stepped up their efforts in this district for the added comfort of the community, but the Shelter needs to go somewhere else.

The Shelter has to get off of Tennessee Street. I can see a rehab center being built in Frenchtown, maybe across from where the Renissance Building is... a nice facility that provides housing, food, education/job training, until our less fortunate can get back on their feet. I'd support that. But on Tennessee Street, the shelter is an eyesoar, so is everything else on that block.

I agree with you. I certainly don't think this shelter needs to be on a mainstreet of our city. If community leaders are serious about downtown revitalization, they need to figure out a way to relocate this center, possibly putting it on Macomb Street. That strip along Tennessee Street could be converted into more attractive space.

• 2 months later...

Home Ownership Up In Frenchtown

carolina-oaks-pic.jpg

Bethel Missionary Baptist Church (my church) and the City of Tallahassee are hard at work to bring quality affordable housing to the Frenchtown neighborhood, and people are waiting in line to buy a home in a neighborhood trying to shake its reputation of crime. Day by day the neighborhood becomes a cleaner, better place to live and residents are very happy with the progress, but understand nothing happens overnight, and that it may take a while before Frenchtown is Frenchtown again.

Click on Post Title for Article

I read that article on Tallahassee.com a little earlier tonight, and it was quite a good and informative piece. It sounds like the revitalization is well underway. One thing I'm curious about is the classification of Carolina Oaks. I believe the article called it an apartment development, but it looks like they're building single family homes. Am I missing something?

Archived