Frenchtown

Florida

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Investing In Frenchtown's Future

The Frenchtown area of Tallahassee is going through a transformation. It was once an area plagued with drugs and crime and now it provides affordable housing to local families.

Some new luxury apartments are available in Tallahassee you won't find these in Southwood or the northeast side; Goodbread Hills is in Frenchtown. In an area that was very recently full of drugs and crime, but now residents say thanks to the development things are looking up.

"It makes the community look good, it's building it up, making people want to try harder to keep it and it makes people want to do better," said Goodbread Hills resident Bobbie Johns.

Best of all its affordable. The project is a partnership between the city, the housing authority, the US Department of Housing and a private developer - Pinnacle Housing Group.

"Frenchtown's a hidden gem with enormous history and I think the first time we saw this site -- we saw what it could be," said Tim Wheat of Pinnacle Housing.

But city officials like Commissioner Debbie Lightsey say its only one part of the puzzle. She says Goodbread Hills is a perfect picture of what the city is trying to achieve all over Frenchtown. She expects to see even more of a transformation in the next few years.

"We've got Tischburg Garden coming along, we've got private investment in town homes and the Frenchtown Village and market are coming along very soon too," Commissioner Lightsey said. "So you'll see more housing, you'll see more retail."

But for now, Goodbread residents think this is a great start.

This project has been finished for about a month now, but today the partners will officially dedicate it with a ribbon cutting ceremony.

Source: WTXL.tv

Link to Video and Story

You mean the houses that run along Macomb between this project and Brevard and then over where the ice cream shop is on OBR? There's house on Macomb just north of Brevard that has one of the largest Kumquat trees I've ever seen in North FL. In the winter when the fruit is bright orange and the days are grey and chilly, it's like a dose of sunshine to help break me from my funk. :)

Article published Sep 29, 2007

Ensley: Bethel Baptist's hotel plan looks like a community plus

By Gerald Ensley

DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

DSCF2095.jpg

What first sounded like the loss of an icon maybe should be cheered as another part of rebuilding a community.

Certainly that's the way the Rev. R.B. Holmes looks at plans by his Bethel Baptist Church to buy the downtown Holiday Inn.

Bethel wants to turn the historic hotel - on Tennessee Street, catty-corner from the church - into an independent, "faith-based" residential hall for students at Florida State, Florida A&M and Tallahassee Community College.

The church has reached an agreement to buy the hotel. It's seeking about $20 million in tax-exempt, private bonds to pay for the purchase and renovation - bonds that must be approved by a public board.

for more

Source: Tallahassee Democrat

I would have preferred that Holiday Inn keep this hotel and restore it. Mostly because of its well known name and established location and History. I would often recommend this for clients to stay down town who were trying to make their visit cheap. And they really didn't have any complaints and often admired the nice view from up High of the FSU campus and down town.

On the other hand being able to segregate your-self based on your beliefs could be a good thing if out side wordily beliefs influenced you easily.... I Guess.

I've brought myself to a neutral position. As a person of faith, I've got to trust that the Lord will order our steps.

I have enjoyed it as a Holiday Inn select. That name does have some history downtown, and if this transaction goes through, I will truly miss it. YET there's always the chance something better can replace it.

UPdate{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Today in the Bethel-Holiday Inn Select merger

We learn that rents for the proposed 153 double occupancy suites and 11-one bedroom apartments are going to start at $1085 a month. double occupancy units are to offer 340 sq.ft of living space to each occupant, 50% more than the competition (according to the Student Housing Survey attached to the article). 11-one bedroom units will be a decent 700 sq.ft. in size. No word on how much those units will cost monthly.

Also planned for the facility and its residents:

• Meal service program with 24- access to food

• Casual "Starbucks style" coffee lounge.

• Pool

• Wireless Internet

• Fitness Center

• On-Floor Laundry

• On-site parking

• Meeting Room

• Game Room

• Enhanced Security System with remote access to Building

• Transportation to and from FSU, FAMU, and TCC

**No cable is mentioned as a part of the living package.**

Today's Article in Tallahassee Democrat: Living with faith expensive option

Personal thoughts:

Note the Facility's proximity to the StarMetro terminal, the Church, downtown's amenities, and the Universities. Why the transportation element? Students can ride the bus city-wide as per city agreement with universities. Save the gas, save the money, this would be a great way to encourage usage of mass transit.

Starbucks style coffee lounge is a great idea, a nice way to use the restaurant space located on the ground floor. Not only can they snack, but they can also study. I do feel the food service option should be optional to allow those who wise to eat elsewhere that choice.

I'm also happy to see the fitness center, and pool are included in the plan.

I don't think the game room is necessary, maybe a prayer room as this is a God-centered living facility. They should consolidate the laundry facility into one large area on a central or ground floor. No need to have something like that on every floor.

This is just a dumb idea IMHO especially if they are going to try use some public funds. Citizens and our local commissions screamed so loud about public funding for Tally Mall that they've almost killed that deal........so where's the public out-cry about this deal? Looks like I may have to side w/Silly Ole Bob R. on this one.

I question if there really is a need for this type of thing. I wish they'd just continue the place as a hotel, of course w/Bethel not being the owner. So many better things a church could do in this corridor.

And of course it may be just me, but what college student really wants to pay this much money and go live in a religious dorm? I mean even if you are religious, isn't college a time to spread your wings and maybe let your hair down a little? The concept is just foreign to me, but of course on this YMMV (your mileage may vary.)

I understand the need to have somewhat of a refuge for college students to live secluded from as much secular and worldly things possible while they get an education. I object to the timing and the subject of this proposal. I think University Village proposed by ADAR would have been the appropriate type of setting and location for something like this. But this "historic" hotel building, which seems to be operating just fine, well... I'm not sure I agree with converting it as you've also said Poonther. It just doesn't seem to be good timing. Not to mention, $19 million could build a very impressive building of just about any type for these purposes downtown. Why here?

I think if Bethel went forward and built itself a new church, it would do wonders for revitalizing that portion of Tennessee Street and downtown. Just my personal opinion.

• 3 months later...

Archived