Whale Mural To Be Covered

SNWEB

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OooooK SNWEB.ORG, I know it's gratifying to you to see those darn whales covered with a Reebok add, but you didn't mention the underlying reason why.

The costs of the ad (about $600,000 a year) will help fuel redevelopment of the Broderick tower. It appears plans on renovating the tower are a lot farther than we thought.

I heard about this on the radio and was looking for an article for some details, but was unable to find one.

Personally, and I might be alone on this, I like the mural there. I really don't want to see it covered up, but if it's for the general good (like renovating the building), I'll accept it. No Wyland on the other hand might file a lawsuit again preventing this.

This will not destroy or deface the Whale mural. It will merely cover it up. And $600,000 a year is a pretty sweet deal. That chunk of change will really help the redevelopment go along smoother.

It sucks for Wyland, but I would rather see a Reebok ad on a newly renovated Broderick than a whale mural on an abandoned dilapidated Broderick. I really hope Wyland sees that this will be a good thing for the city. Hell, maybe once the renovation is paid for we can go back to seeing the whales.

Well if anything a nice mural showing historic Detroit is th best idea over the ad or mural.

If the ads pay for renovation them im 100% for it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want to see a nice painting showing Detroit's history, check out the one in the downtown branch of the Detroit Public Library in the automotive history section! Very cool!

It sucks for Wyland, but I would rather see a Reebok ad on a newly renovated Broderick than a whale mural on an abandoned dilapidated Broderick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the situation.

I was upset when I first heard about this but after finding out that the money would go to the renovation of the building the blow was less severe. I guess they are going to try and get the ad up by the All-Star game this summer. Get your photos while you can.

Im not sure anyone will care though. Most people who go to the games downtown leave as soon as the game is over and dont really contribute anything to the Detroit economy. I will miss the whales but I understand its for a good reason.

Thats funny.

Now this rendering almost looks as though its painted onto the building. From my understanding i thought they were going to place something over the whale mural so its not ruined. Unless they cut holes out for the windows that looks like its painted directly onto the building.

Thanks again to the damn suburbanite whiners,

Local 4 is reporting the HDC is rethinking of maybe canceling the right/denying it becuase of the public *cough*suburbanites*cough* don't like it.

My Gosh! It's an unrelated whale!

Just curious but why do you guys not like the whales? Who cares if there are no whales in Detroit? Its a nice piece of public art that the artist was trying to use for environmental preservation. Its a helluva lot better than some Nike or Addidas billboard there.

A lot of public art doesnt really tie into the city. I would rather see this than some hunk of red metal outside of the building like many buildings have for public art. It makes the building stand out and is what draws people to that building. Otherwise to many the Broderick would be just another decaying downtown building but people are drawn to it because of the whales. I just think its unfortunate that people see the whales and think that its bad because their are no whales in Detroit. There is a whale mural in Chicago and as far as i know the people there appreciate it. The message is preservation and it covers up the bare exterior of the elevator shafts. I have zero problem with it. I really dont buy the Wyland is just advertising argument either. If my memory serves me correct the man lives in California and has no Michigan galleries.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm confused by the article, are they covering the whales or no?

I personally hope they don't cover the whales, because any art is better than nothing. Who cares whether it's appropriate to Detroit or not, art is art and should be appreciated for the charm it adds.

They are not covering the whales. The whales were going to be covered by a baseball player, but Wyland has a fit everytime the building's owner tries to cover his mural.

I have nothing against whales, but I definately like the baseball player better than the whales.

This

4480444_200X150.jpg

or

This?

IMG_4071.jpg

The Detroit Historic Commission should've never approved the whales in the first place. Then we wouldn't have this problem. The 1926 blueprints for the building show a blank eastern facade.

1784.jpg

Eventually the whales will start to flake off the wall. Next time I am up there I should hang my head out the window and see if they are. Until that time I guess we are stuck with our 18 story tall whale mural.

Archived