Florida Coastal School of Law

bobliocatt

Well it looks like we really dropped the ball on this. It would have been a great addition for downtown. Oh well!

Law school going to Southside

by Kent Jennings Brockwell

Staff Writer

It looks like downtown Jacksonville will not be the new home for the Florida Coastal School of Law.

Florida Coastal Dean Peter Goplerud says the private law school has abandoned plans to relocate downtown and will be purchasing and moving into a building in the Southside.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I doubt the city approached them, since projects like The Barnett have been waiting for the city for nearly two years. I'm sure many in charge, don't realize the potential economic impact a college with nearly 1,000 law students can have in an urban setting, such as downtown Jax. When it comes down to giving away potential incentives and tax breaks, this would have paid off a lot more, than other developments, such as Berkman Plaza.

<<  Counting the days till Little Man Peyton is out of office.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I am still holding out hope for some improvement, it is becoming increasing clear that Peyton just doesn't "get it" when it comes to downtown. The only momentum downtown has had since he took over has been from the Super Bowl, which he had no part in. I look forward to the event(s) that UrbanCore is working on, but that is about the only thing he has done for downtown in nearly two years.

<<  Counting the days till Little Man Peyton is out of office.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Peyton will most likely win another term. He will beat absolutely any Democrat who runs against him. Period.

There is a chance to beat him in the Republican primary, but a really spectacular candidate would need to come forward. Matt Carlucci (who I voted for last time) and Mike Weinstein proved that you can't win the mayor's race on a downtown platform. There are simply too many suburbanites who absolutely never go downtown, and don't give a damn about it.

A charismatic businessman, with a strong low-tax, pro-business platform might be able to unseat Peyton. He would need to properly highlight the Courthouse failure, and find a way to blame the BJP overruns on Peyton.

As far as downtown is concerned, I gave up on Peyton, back with his idea of pushing that the poor courthouse design (Cannon without the dome), despite it being pretty clear that it wouldn't work. The slow progress on The Barnett, the courthouse, the Landing and the Laura Trio, have only solidified my position, regarding his opinion about the importance of having a vibrant inner city.

The momentum going on right now, is being driven by the market, concerned residents and individuals themselves, not the city. I know Delaney has been bashed lately because of the BJP overuns, the courthouse and shipyards deal, but at least the guy had dreams to take this city to the next level and the sack to push to get them done.

Cost overruns or not, Delaney left a downtown legacy, which really started alot. Though many things started downtown, they never quite finished because of Peyton. I'm not really a mayor-basher, but I still think that things could really get done with someone else in charge.

Here's hoping Jacksonville gets a smart, pro-urban mayor.

Peyton will most likely win another term. He will beat absolutely any Democrat who runs against him. Period.

There is a chance to beat him in the Republican primary, but a really spectacular candidate would need to come forward. Matt Carlucci (who I voted for last time) and Mike Weinstein proved that you can't win the mayor's race on a downtown platform. There are simply too many suburbanites who absolutely never go downtown, and don't give a damn about it.

A charismatic businessman, with a strong low-tax, pro-business platform might be able to unseat Peyton. He would need to properly highlight the Courthouse failure, and find a way to blame the BJP overruns on Peyton.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Peyton is most definitely beatable, but it will take some money. Party labels can't mask incompetence. MOST GOPers will leave the party if their distaste for the candidate is strong enough.

I disagree with the comment that a candidate with a downtown platform can't win. Peyton himself ran on such a platform. He just hasn't fulfilled it. He beat Carlucci by smearing him as a tax increaser and Carlucci's response was too little, too late. Weinstein was gaining on Peyton at the time of the election. Had the election been a week later, Weinstein might very well have won the primary.

Peyton had the luxury last time of being able to invent his own image and didn't have to defend a public record. He won't have that luxury this time.

To beat someone in politics, you need some salient issues and at least a minimal amount of money. The issues are there. All it takes is some money and a respectable candidate.

Don't count Carlucci out for next time either. The only thing against him is that some in the GOP are mad with him for endorsing Glover. Now, he can say "I didn't endorse him because he was not up to the job, and I was right". Democrats would support him because he did endorse Glover. He doesn't have to win back all Republicans, just enough to get a plurality in the primary.

Also, Nat Glover could make a strong candidate for the Democrats.

Peyton has made his share of enemies (Godbold, Delaney, Tony Sleiman maybe?).

He looks far from a sure thing to me.

TUC For Mayor...

Cares about The direction JAX is going

Supports sensible Downtown Expansion

Supports Expanding Jax Culture (an important one for me)

Already on the "In" in terms of people he knows.

so... I say again

TUC for Mayor

<Chants>

------------------------

T

U

C

T

U

C

------------------------

He can run on the Urban Core Party Ticket ;)

I think a competent, articulate, non-ideological candidate could win as a Democrat for Mayor. However, I know of no such person in Jacksonville. Nat seems like a nice guy, but he is inarticulate and unelectable. Carlucci is finished in Jacksonville. I think Weinstein could make a run at it, but he does have the carpetbagger image. I think he would be the best mayor right now of all those who ran last time. Maybe we could run Mrs. Delaney. :)

^I don't have a political background, I'm registered as an Independent. I tend to vote for the best canidate running, regardless of their political party. Unfortunately, things don't work that way in Jax. So I wouldn't stand a chance running for anything, as long as our current good ole boy polititcal climate remains in place.

^ I'm registered as an Independent.  I tend to vote for the best canidate running, regardless of their political party. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHOA! I thought I was the only one with that mindset. I refuse to surrender my brain to a label, be it Republican, Democrat, Conservative , Liberal, etc. Tell me what you are going to do, why it should be done, and why you feel you are the best person to do it.

Partisan politics has no place in municipal or county government IMO. Federal and State levels, I can see, but can anyone truthfully say that Delaney or Peyton (GOP) governed differently based on party politics than Godbold or Austin (Dems)?

Austin was Jacksonville's first Republican mayor. As to Godbold, while I voted for him, I think he was more of a populist than say Austin. I agree that party labels dont matter as much at the local level though. I would much rather have Godbold now (and I am a conservative Rep.) than Peyton. Maybe we can get Godbold to run again - he's tanned rested and ready. :)

Did Austin switch to GOP while in office?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if he has "formally" switched. If he has, it was after he left office. He has endorsed Republicans for office, but it is not uncommon for politicos to endorse across party lines from time to time. Some do that more than others.

Archived