Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

I wanted it to go to Haywood. I don't know, it's just that I always shop at Haywood rather than downtown. I am still waiting for a real Sephora. Knoxville has had one for years and Augusta has had theirs for a while.

As for Von Maur, they have some locations in the midwest that are in pretty lackluster malls, and their website is atrocious, so they've hardly interested me at all. I would rather have a Lord & Taylor. From my understanding they are doing much better than before.

I wanted it to go to Haywood. I don't know, it's just that I always shop at Haywood rather than downtown. I am still waiting for a real Sephora. Knoxville has had one for years and Augusta has had theirs for a while. As for Von Maur, they have some locations in the midwest that are in pretty lackluster malls, and their website is atrocious, so they've hardly interested me at all. I would rather have a Lord & Taylor. From my understanding they are doing much better than before.

Lord & Taylor is my favorite store now, hands down. Sadly, it pulled out of all parts of the US except the Northeast/Midwest a few years ago.

L&T is in some pretty dodgy malls in New Jersey- see Woodbridge Mall.

There is an interesting story about Apple Store locations at Retail Traffic (retailtrafficmag.com)- apparently a typical Apple Store pulls in more revenues than a Macy's or JC Penney, despite the latter usually being many many many times larger, and an Apple Store's sales per square foot can bring up a mall's average by $50 or so, allowing a landlord to charge higher rents. So maybe Apple is Haywood's saving grace.

Lord & Taylor is my favorite store now, hands down. Sadly, it pulled out of all parts of the US except the Northeast/Midwest a few years ago. L&T is in some pretty dodgy malls in New Jersey- see Woodbridge Mall. There is an interesting story about Apple Store locations at Retail Traffic (retailtrafficmag.com)- apparently a typical Apple Store pulls in more revenues than a Macy's or JC Penney, despite the latter usually being many many many times larger, and an Apple Store's sales per square foot can bring up a mall's average by $50 or so, allowing a landlord to charge higher rents. So maybe Apple is Haywood's saving grace.

Actually, they are expanding into South Florida next year. I don't know if they previously had locations there, but I know they had a location at The Florida Mall. With Belk being around #4 or 5 I really don't see why there is no renovation.

<script>(function(){function Timer(b){this.t={};this.tick=function(b,c,a){a=a!=void 0?a:(new Date).getTime();this.t=[a,c]};this.tick("start",null,b)}var loadTimer=new Timer;window.pss_jstiming={Timer:Timer,load:loadTimer};try{var pageT=null;window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(pageT=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT));pageT==null&&window.gtbExternal&&(pageT=window.gtbExternal.pageT());pageT==null&&window.external&&(pageT=window.external.pageT);pageT&&(window.pss_jstiming.pt=pageT)}catch(e){};})();

window['pss_jstiming']['sn'] = 'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.urbanplanet.org%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Fs%3Dcf221995d64662418f79622ac374c79d%26app%3Dforums%26module%3Dajax%26section%3Dtopics%26do%3Dquote%26t%3D11292%26p%3D1151847%26md5check%3Dfe83269f02d476a6993b1fb6f7b86418';

</script>

<p>

</p>

<p>Actually, they are expanding into South Florida next year. I don't know if they previously had locations there, but I know they had a location at The Florida Mall. With Belk being around #4 or 5 I really don't see why there is no renovation.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Indeed you're right- L&amp;T has opened an outlet in south Florida and may open a full-line store. I didn't know that until I saw your post and did some quick research.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I still don't see L&amp;T coming to Greenville. Some of the NJ stores would do fine at Haywood (preppy clothes and not too expensive), but is the store well-known among the general public? The first time I went to the Raleigh L&amp;T in 1995, I couldn't read the script logo on the store entrance and had no idea what it was. (Now, I'm a big fan of the chain, having lived in areas where the store is popular.)</p>

<script>(function(){if(window.pss_jstiming){window.pss_jstiming.beaconImageReferences_={};window.pss_jstiming.reportCounter_=1;var getTick=function(c,a,e){var b=c.t[a],g=c.t.start;if(b&&(g{sodEmoji.|}{sodEmoji.|}e))return b=c.t[a][0],g=e!=void 0?e:g[0],b-g},getReportUri=function(c,a,e){var b="";window.pss_jstiming.pt&&(b+="&srt="+window.pss_jstiming.pt,delete window.pss_jstiming.pt);try{window.external&&window.external.tran?b+="&tran="+window.external.tran:window.gtbExternal&&window.gtbExternal.tran?b+="&tran="+window.gtbExternal.tran():

window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(b+="&tran="+window.chrome.csi().tran)}catch(g){}var d=window.chrome;if(d&&(d=d.loadTimes))d().wasFetchedViaSpdy&&(b+="&p=s"),d().wasNpnNegotiated&&(b+="&npn=1"),d().wasAlternateProtocolAvailable&&(b+="&apa=1");c.dapperCookie_&&(b+="&"+c.dapperCookie_);window.parent!=window&&(b+="&wif=1");var f=c.t,l=f.start,d=[],i=[],h;for(h in f)if(h!="start"&&h.indexOf("_")!=0){var j=f[h][1];j?f[j]&&i.push(h+"."+getTick(c,h,f[j][0])):l&&d.push(h+"."+getTick(c,h))}delete f.start;

if(a)for(var k in a)b+="&"+k+"="+a[k];(a=e){sodEmoji.|}{sodEmoji.|}(a="https:"==document.location.protocol?"https://csi.gstatic.com/csi":"http://csi.gstatic.com/csi");return c=[a,"?v=3","&s="+(window.pss_jstiming.sn{sodEmoji.|}{sodEmoji.|}"_s")+"&action=",c.name,i.length?"&it="+i.join(","):"","",b,"&rt=",d.join(",")].join("")},sendReport_=function(c,a,e){c=getReportUri(c,a,e);if(!c)return"";var a=new Image,b=window.pss_jstiming.reportCounter_++;window.pss_jstiming.beaconImageReferences_=a;a.onload=a.onerror=function(){delete window.pss_jstiming.beaconImageReferences_};

a.src=c;a=null;return c};window.pss_jstiming.report=function(c,a,e){if(document.webkitVisibilityState=="prerender"){var b="webkitvisibilitychange",g=!1,d=function(){if(!g){a?a.prerender="1":a={prerender:"1"};var f;document.webkitVisibilityState=="prerender"?f=!1:(sendReport_(c,a,e),f=!0);f&&(g=!0,document.removeEventListener(b,d,!1))}};document.addEventListener(b,d,!1);return""}return sendReport_(c,a,e)}};})();

(function() { var f = function() { var t = window.pss_jstiming; if (t) { t.load.tick('ol'); t.report(t.load, {}, 'http://www-accel-pss.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/csi'); } }; if (window.attachEvent) { window.attachEvent('onload', f); } else if (window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', f, false); }}) ();</script>

• 1 month later...

I went to Haywood on Saturday. My comparison of it is to malls in Charlotte and around NYC. My two cents is that Haywood isn't a bad mall. It's a slightly "better" mall with a fine interior, a high occupancy rate and plenty of fine middle-tier and some upper-middle-tier stores. But it's not an "upscale" mall; it just has some pockets of upscale-ness in it. It seems to have people of all economic strata (including on the low end) shopping there, and its stores reflect that. The Belk needs a renovation, and the exterior is just horrid.

• 2 months later...

I went to Haywood today. It was very busy and It was hard to find a parking space. Sears still seemed to be more used for the parking rather than people shopping. Nonetheless, it was still kind of busy. Nowhere near the amount of the other stores, though, especially Belk. Sears seemed kind of empty, and it's not too big. Belk, if I'm correct is a little larger than Dillard's at 225K square feet, and it was really busy and was pretty hard to get around, and Sears still seemed kind of empty and I would guess is about 130K square feet. I'm still waiting for my Nordstrom though. Haha. I think I've finally confirmed though that there is enough space to expand the mall through the current Sears and add a Nordstrom on the end, provided they added the 2 story parking garage under Nordstrom and maybe add another level to the current one deck. Plus I think they should tear down the Toys R US and old Circuit City and add an new shopping center with a Nordstrom Rack. I know this is far fetched but I really want to turn Haywood Rd into something nice. Next, they need to tear down the Steve & Barry's shopping center (not sure what's there now) and add a Super Target. Also, make room for an IKEA somewhere. Try to add multi-level office buildings, too. (and more taller hotels). I think it should be sort of like a more "big-box" (at least a little) of the SouthPark area.

• 3 weeks later...

It is/was profitable, but the lease ended. They didn't renew it. I don't know why and thought they should have. But they didn't. Oh well. At least the Asheville store is staying open. I am hoping for the Armani Exchange like people were saying and Sephora. SInce A&F is over 8000 square feet, They could put a 5,000 square foot Sephora and a 3,000+ square foot A{sodEmoji.|}X.

I was in A&F in Greenville at Hayward back two days after Christmas I thought it was a nice big space and well the store was obviously busy.

On the flip side, Armani Exchange would be absolutely awesome to open up. Almost as good would be H&M.

It's definitely a large, nice store. I went the day after Christmas and it was really packed then too. I have a feeling that they will recover and if Haywood gets a Nordstrom and an expansion/renovation then I think they will return with an even larger store. Compared to most of the A&F stores I've been to, it was pretty small. Apparently the Armani reps were at Haywood talking to the manager of A&F/mall managers about the space, and a building permit was filed for 100K a few days ago. I think Sephora would be nice, too. If they put an A{sodEmoji.|}X and Sephora then I could deal with it and I would definitely still shop at Haywood, especially since the J. Crew and Belk stores are larger than the ones in Asheville.

I'm still not convinced that A{sodEmoji.|}X is interested in A&F's space. There's not even one in Charlotte. Look at how much larger that metro area is and how many more higher-end retailers it has than Greenville. Don't get wrong though. I would absolutely love to eat crow with this. The one thing that gives me some hope is that an A{sodEmoji.|}X did open a few months ago at Lakeside Shopping Center which has right around the same retail store offerings as Haywood Mall: http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blogofneworleans/archives/2011/05/31/armani-exchange-opens-in-the-lakeside-shopping-center

Edited by citylife

I wouldn't underestimate Greenville's ability to attract higher end retail. Charlotte is still waiting on their Whole Foods. Also before Charlotte had Nordstrom and Niemans there was only Belk,Dillards and Hechts. Many Charlotteans drove to Greenville to shop Parisian and Richs. I remember Greenville had more department store choices than Charlotte at one time. Some chains have had a history of going to Charlotte last for some strange reason. One would think they would be first choice for the Carolina's.

A{sodEmoji.|}X is most certainly interested in part of A&F's space. If they weren't interested, why would the representatives be there looking at the space? Really the only reason why there isn't one in Charlotte anyway is because SouthPark never has many good spaces and isn't too trendy. Northlake, on the other hand, would probably be a better fit, except they are probably just afraid to open there because of how the upscale stores aren't faring too well and the Eastland crowd is there. I saw some of them on a Saturday morning! I suppose they don't need an expansion through Sears and a new department store on the end. If a Nordstrom or Von Maur or even Lord & Taylor (least likely) opened then the spaces near Sears that only attracts temporary stores could actually get nicer stores like Sephora, Lacoste, etc. Really I just want Haywood to be like a better looking Perimeter.

Neither Nordstrom nor Lord & Taylor is coming to Haywood. I hesitate to say "never", but I don't see either one as a possibility.

Von Maur, sure, I understand that Greenville is on its radar screen.

Why are people so concerned about Sephora? It's a women's cosmetics store.

Why some stores come to Greenville first rather than Charlotte: for one reason, distribution costs: if there is a cluster of a chain's stores in Atlanta, adding a store in Greenville just means a quick supply trip from there.

Edited by mallguy

You can never be sure!

Von Maur is just too boring. A Von Maur at Haywood would probably hurt sales from Belk, Macy's, and Dillard's, and I doubt that they would do to well either. It just seems like they need more of a difference between those stores to justify opening ANOTHER similar store.

Sephora is not only women's cosmetics. I get all of my skincare products from there and the larger stores sell many men's products, including The Art of Shaving which I use.

Having a point of view like that isn't going to help, especially for people who are mall managers, etc. If they were afraid that some stores would say that they would never open there then there's no way Haywood will get any better. I may be too optimistic, but it is better for malls to be more optimistic.

Lord & Taylor is my favorite store- I get almost everything there (clothes-wise). It's a Northeastern store, focused on the NY metro area; it just got done with retrenching and pulling out of all markets other than the Northeast (although it is opening a few stores again in CA and FL, who knows why). It would make zero sense for it to come to Greenville, UNLESS it decided to expand in the Southeast AND had already opened stores along the I-85 corridor approaching Greenville.

Nordstrom probably requires a larger number of upper-income people than Greenville has. Apart from its Pacific Northwest home, it has only generally opened in larger, wealthier areas such as Charlotte, etc., Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta- and the SouthPark store is so close to Greenville, Nordstrom could hurt its sales by having another store.

I do see a need for a Parisian-level upscale store in cities such as Greenville, Columbia, Asheville, etc....and that would apparently be Von Maur. Or bring back Ivey's!

Von Maur boring? Hardly.

Lord & Taylor would nice but remember the May Company lead to them on a national expansion there in the 90s with L&T stores in Dallas, Kansas City, and I know Denver had two locations. It ultimately backfired because to was just too NYC, too out of place for some cities, and ended up cheapening the iconic upscale brand. That is why L&T was forced to retreat they way they did.

Parisian had the same problem in that it was in too many odd markets which lead to Saks unloading the franchise.

Von Maur boring? Hardly.

Lord & Taylor would nice but remember the May Company lead to them on a national expansion there in the 90s with L&T stores in Dallas, Kansas City, and I know Denver had two locations. It ultimately backfired because to was just too NYC, too out of place for some cities, and ended up cheapening the iconic upscale brand. That is why L&T was forced to retreat they way they did.

Parisian had the same problem in that it was in too many odd markets which lead to Saks unloading the franchise.

Compared to Nordstrom? Yes. It looks extremely boring. I mean come on, Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's have nice, new contemporary stores. Von Maur looks like they have older looking fixtures and it's just not exciting. Just like a lot of Dillard's stores.

edit: Okay, I looked at some interior photos and I think that it does look nice and isn't too boring, but compared to Nordstrom, it's not that nice. I guess it's just that it reminds me of Macy's. Just look at SouthPark. Belk is a nicer looking store and is much more upscale, etc. Macy's is just kind of bland and isn't exciting. I guess it's just that I am being too hard on it.

Edited by ct36

The key with Von Maur is in store atmosphere. All Von Maur stores have a live in-store pianist playing classical music. The open layout of a Von Maur I went to up in Louisville kind of reminded me of a Nordstrom. It's still a couple notches down from Nordstrom but definitely a notch above Belk/Dillards/Macy's.

I'm hoping Belk at Haywood will add a third level and renovate the entire store to make it more open. Not a full third level, just a partial one. This is my personal plan for that store:

• Relocation of women's shoe department to current junior's space
  • Relocation of Women's Designer Fashions to current dress, shoes, petites, and handbag departments. Basically, it would be from the exterior entrance near the food court all the way to the mall entrance near Dillard's, but just the interior part and not where the cheaper handbags/junior departments are.
  • Relocation of designer handbags to cheaper handbag section
  • Relocation of cheaper handbags/women's accessories to current seasonal/clearance, etc.
  • Relocation of dresses to current women's designer department
  • Other minor relocations on level 2
  • Juniors to level 1
  • Today's Women to Level 1
  • Major Men's department expansion
  • Kids to level 3
  • Home to level 3.
  • Complete renovation of interior and exterior.

It would cost a lot, but it probably would be worth it. As far as I know, it hasn't really been renovated as far as I know except they relocated the junior's and women's shoes departments and renovated those areas. Other than that, I really can't think of any other renovations they have had. It is pretty outdated. It's like the fourth best performing store in the chain anyway. In the greatly expanded designer fashion areas, I would expect to see basically everything SouthPark carries, except not as big of a selection. Also, the store would be as open as possible. They spent tons of money to completely renovate half of level one at Asheville to make a brand new juniors, women's shoes and handbags department. They finally ended up getting Coach, Laura Mercier, Michael Kors, etc. Asheville is significantly smaller. If I'm correct If you added a complete third floor it would be as large as Haywood, which sounds right since it is 156K vs. Haywood's 225K. I like that Belk still sells stuff for budget-conscious people but also sells many items that appeal to the discriminating shopper. They need to stay this way, but if they want even more money then they need to expand their designer collections.

Edited by ct36

Nordstrom has almost all other department stores beat on store appearance and design. A typical L&T store even doesn't look as stylish.

Parisian had great-looking stores, too, and I wonder why Belk didn't keep the Parisian store design team, if there was one.

I agree about the look of Parisian stores. Belk really dropped the ball on this. One example is seating. Belk should place furniture(conversation areas) around their stores in areas like the escalators to entice people to stay longer like Parisian had. They could do a lot more to make the stores customer friendly. Also the parking lot entrances at the Haywood Belk need to be redone. They need to tear down those glass pod clover leaf looking entrances and give the front and side of the store a new look with automatic doors like some of the Belks have installed.

I'm hoping Belk at Haywood will add a third level and renovate the entire store to make it more open. Not a full third level, just a partial one. This is my personal plan for that store:

• Relocation of women's shoe department to current junior's space
  • Relocation of Women's Designer Fashions to current dress, shoes, petites, and handbag departments. Basically, it would be from the exterior entrance near the food court all the way to the mall entrance near Dillard's, but just the interior part and not where the cheaper handbags/junior departments are.
  • Relocation of designer handbags to cheaper handbag section
  • Relocation of cheaper handbags/women's accessories to current seasonal/clearance, etc.
  • Relocation of dresses to current women's designer department
  • Other minor relocations on level 2
  • Juniors to level 1
  • Today's Women to Level 1
  • Major Men's department expansion
  • Kids to level 3
  • Home to level 3.
  • Complete renovation of interior and exterior.

It would cost a lot, but it probably would be worth it. As far as I know, it hasn't really been renovated as far as I know except they relocated the junior's and women's shoes departments and renovated those areas. Other than that, I really can't think of any other renovations they have had. It is pretty outdated. It's like the fourth best performing store in the chain anyway. In the greatly expanded designer fashion areas, I would expect to see basically everything SouthPark carries, except not as big of a selection. Also, the store would be as open as possible. They spent tons of money to completely renovate half of level one at Asheville to make a brand new juniors, women's shoes and handbags department. They finally ended up getting Coach, Laura Mercier, Michael Kors, etc. Asheville is significantly smaller. If I'm correct If you added a complete third floor it would be as large as Haywood, which sounds right since it is 156K vs. Haywood's 225K. I like that Belk still sells stuff for budget-conscious people but also sells many items that appeal to the discriminating shopper. They need to stay this way, but if they want even more money then they need to expand their designer collections.

The haywood Belk was totally renovated and expanded to its current size in the 90's when the new Dillards wing was added on. Thats the reason the side of the store next to the Dillards wing is so much wider than the food court side of the store. The ceiling was raised over the escalators and the sky lights added. Even today it looks much better than it did before that renovation. The store was much smaller in the 80's and early 90's.