Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

• 4 weeks later...

Although it has been heavily rumored, It is now officially official:

Cheesecake Factory projected to open this summer at Haywood Mall:

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/cheesecake-factory-coming-to-haywood-mall-this-summer/

http://wspa.com/2016/01/19/cheesecake-factory-coming-to-haywood-mall-in-greenville/

I know I'll be a customer!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Galley said:

I noticed there will be a Champs Sports opening near the center court. 

That is the former American Greetings store. It was a temporary location recently for Champs Sports while their store in the Dillard's wing was being remodeled (hence the Champs banner hanging there). The new expanded Champs just reopened in it's former space in the Dillard's wing.

On April 2, 2016 at 10:26 PM, vistatiger said:

That is the former American Greetings store. It was a temporary location recently for Champs Sports while their store in the Dillard's wing was being remodeled (hence the Champs banner hanging there). The new expanded Champs just reopened in it's former space in the Dillard's wing.

Thanks.  I don't go to the mall that often (other than the Apple Store).

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven't been to Haywood in ages (downtown is more convenient and closer for me), and am curious:

If you look at the Haywood directory online (at shopsimon.com), there seem to be a bunch of vacant stores all around the map, in addition to the vacant Sears.

Losing Sears probably won't matter one bit as that store was nearly empty even when it was still open, but what's with the numerous vacancies?  Covid-19 related, losses of national, desirable retailers or "mom and pop" stores that closed...or is the map simply inaccurate?

The only time when Haywood has had a significant amount of vacancy at this level was in the first few years after it opened, and even then it was mostly in the corridors leading to exits.

2 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

I haven't been to Haywood in ages (downtown is more convenient and closer for me), and am curious:

If you look at the Haywood directory online (at shopsimon.com), there seem to be a bunch of vacant stores all around the map, in addition to the vacant Sears.

Losing Sears probably won't matter one bit as that store was nearly empty even when it was still open, but what's with the numerous vacancies?  Covid-19 related, losses of national, desirable retailers or "mom and pop" stores that closed...or is the map simply inaccurate?

The only time when Haywood has had a significant amount of vacancy at this level was in the first few years after it opened, and even then it was mostly in the corridors leading to exits.

They lost some national retailers that went bankrupt  like Gymboree, JCrew, Charlotte Russe and Crazy 8.  Didn't look that bad to me last time I was there.  A handful of very small spots that are vacant.  I noticed you have to put your pointer over a few of the stores for the name to come up on that map.  I have noticed the large malls seem to go in cycles with their vacancies.-retailers close locations after the holidays and those spots aren't filled until the 3rd or 4th quarter of the year.  Still count over 100 stores on their store list. 

Edited by vistatiger

Thanks.  That makes sense.  I counted 18 vacancies on the mall directory plus the vacant Sears, which is a lot.

I never have cared for Haywood, but I would want it to do well.

Losing J. Crew and Abercrombie & Fitch is not great, either: lots of other malls and downtowns kept them.  When I looked at the Haywood directory, there aren't a lot of higher-end stores there.

Edited by Cityplanner

13 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

Thanks.  That makes sense.  I counted 18 vacancies on the mall directory plus the vacant Sears, which is a lot.

I never have cared for Haywood, but I would want it to do well.

Losing J. Crew and Abercrombie & Fitch is not great, either: lots of other malls and downtowns kept them.  When I looked at the Haywood directory, there aren't a lot of higher-end stores there.

I'm not sure it's 18.  I know they have Lush coming  as well as a new coffee shop.  Two of those vacant spots are mall restroom areas that are not labeled.  Michael Kors and Francesca's are not labeled on a couple of spaces, Not sure how accurate that map is. The Sears is now labeled Coming soon More Dining, entertainment and shopping  which says to me developed with a more mixed use purpose rather than replaced by another department store.  

I love DT as much as anyone but nothing much down there interest me as far as shopping. Just a few stores. For me the mall  still has a much better variety of places to shop with it's department stores included.

Edited by vistatiger

24 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

I'm not sure it's 18.  I know they have Lush coming  as well as a new coffee shop.  Two of those vacant spots are mall restroom areas that are not labeled.  Michael Kors and Francesca's are not labeled on a couple of spaces, Not sure how accurate that map is. The Sears is now labeled Coming soon More Dining, entertainment and shopping  which says to me developed with a more mixed use purpose rather than replaced by another department store.  

I love DT as much as anyone but nothing much down there interest me as far as shopping. Just a few stores. For me the mall  still has a much better variety of places to shop with it's department stores included.

Good points, thanks.

Yes, department stores are an attraction at Haywood- Mast doesn't suffice for me except for random things.

Here is the actual leasing plan showing the tenant spaces and who occupies them:

https://business.simon.com/assets/mall/206/LEASING_PLAN/4825_HAYWOOD MALL_CurrentWebLeasePlan-1_1.pdf and https://business.simon.com/assets/mall/206/LEASING_PLAN/4825_HAYWOOD MALL_CurrentWebLeasePlan-2_2.pdf 

Looks like 11 empty spaces total including Sears with the vast majority of them being on the first floor. The two empty spaces next to Lego used to be just one space. Dry Goods and the two empty spaces next to it used to be just two spaces instead of the current three also. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Looks like Belk is likely filing for bankruptcy (just do a news search).

I expect the Haywood store to be safe, but how about the small-town ones?  Or maybe the small-town ones are safer?

Unfortunate, as Belk is certainly a Southern institution.  I bought some things online from Belk a few months ago and was impressed with the prices and selection.

• 1 year later...

Just saw online that Haywood is getting a new Lucky Brand Jeans store sometime soon. Even though I don’t personally shop there, it’s a nice national brand that has men’s and women’s clothing. Plus the stores are designed pretty cool. 

Also, I just learned that Greenville is getting a new Madewell store. Haven’t been able to determine if this will be coming to Haywood or elsewhere yet so I’ll leave it here because it would be a nice add for the mall. They’re hiring mgmt right now so I assume the store may open before Christmas. Madewell is part of J. Crew, but it is a much more affordable brand with clothes for men/women. It is a really popular store. 

11 hours ago, cworld78 said:

Just saw online that Haywood is getting a new Lucky Brand Jeans store sometime soon. Even though I don’t personally shop there, it’s a nice national brand that has men’s and women’s clothing. Plus the stores are designed pretty cool. 

Also, I just learned that Greenville is getting a new Madewell store. Haven’t been able to determine if this will be coming to Haywood or elsewhere yet so I’ll leave it here because it would be a nice add for the mall. They’re hiring mgmt right now so I assume the store may open before Christmas. Madewell is part of J. Crew, but it is a much more affordable brand with clothes for men/women. It is a really popular store. 

According to this store director job posting, Madewell is going to be downtown.  That was my first thought, since they often have urban locations (CLT, ATL, and Charleston, for example).

Edited by westsider28
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like Haywood is being hit by the typical wave of post-Christmas closings.  And no news that I’ve seen about what will go into the former Sears site.

If I were Simon, I’d look to do extensive redevelopment of the mall, with something other than retail added in the parking lots and Sears site, and upgrades all around the mall.

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Looks like Haywood is being hit by the typical wave of post-Christmas closings.  And no news that I’ve seen about what will go into the former Sears site.

If I were Simon, I’d look to do extensive redevelopment of the mall, with something other than retail added in the parking lots and Sears site, and upgrades all around the mall.

Apparently the Simon MO is to wait until a property becomes distressed before investing in it.