Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

Thomas Kinkade is a thing of the past. Sign's gone and store is empty.

Suprised it took them that long to close. I never saw anybody in there no matter how crowded the mall was. I wonder if J. Crew will expand into that space and add Crew Cuts??? Looks like it would work out going off the site plan. If not then hopefully a tenant in the same league as them will locate there.

Edited by citylife

Other news:

-Not only is Kay Jewelers renovating their store but they'll also be expanding into the old Pink and Blue space next door.

-Bids for Aeropostale renovation went out earlier this month. Don't know if they plan to move temporarily to another space in the mall during this.

-Anybody know if anything is planned for the old Panera? The new one is much larger and nicer looking. :) Love the outdoor seating they added.

Edited by citylife

Thomas Kinkade is a thing of the past. Sign's gone and store is empty.

That really is disappointing. :cry: It was actually one of the few reasons I would ever go out of my way to visit the mall. The staff was very knowledgeable regarding fine art and I enjoyed conversing with them while browsing the beautiful and inspiring gallery. Does anyone know if they are relocating to another place elsewhere in town? I believe downtown would be a perfect match, but the cost would likely be prohibitive.

• 3 weeks later...

-Renovations have started on Aeropostale. A big wall is now up on the store front. It will be Aeropostale 87 when complete. What suprised me though is that they didn't relocate temporarily to another space in the mall like Kay Jewelers did while their current location is closed.

-Tutti Fruitti Yogurt Shop for old Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory location.

Edited by citylife

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A new anchor (perhaps to replace Sears?), like IKEA, Bass Pro Shops, or REI. If that happens, then a new parking garage will be needed.

Agreed. I don't really want the any of those except for IKEA :) Honestly I would like a Nordstrom better. It's actually pretty reasonable for Greenville to get a Nordstrom in the next 5-10 years. I could see the other three working elsewhere. IKEA is WAY too big to put where Sears is. And Bass Pro Shops are even larger than IKEA (Most all BPS are 1 floor and I'm pretty sure all IKEA stores are 2 floors).

Also agree how the parking lot needs to be redone. I kind of like the exterior of the mall. It matches the interior and the mall entrances. It is dated, but a lighter exterior would be good but they would have to change the entrances.

Parisian would have been great for Haywood; I talked to the real estate director after the Greenville Mall store bit the dust and Haywood was a possibility, but unfortunately with Parisian gone, I don't see any other higher-end department stores coming to Haywood. If Nordstrom were headquartered in the Carolinas, I could see it coming- as plenty of Haywood-type malls in the Pacific Northwest have Nordstrom, and plenty of Haywood-type malls around NYC have Lord & Taylor, but sadly that's not the case.

Haywood needs a full exterior renovation + the addition of an outdoor component with better sit-down restaurants such as the Cheesecake Factory. Take the outdoor part at SouthPark and just make that a lot bigger, for what I'm thinking.

Edited by mallguy

Parisian would have been great for Haywood; I talked to the real estate director after the Greenville Mall store bit the dust and Haywood was a possibility, but unfortunately with Parisian gone, I don't see any other higher-end department stores coming to Haywood. If Nordstrom were headquartered in the Carolinas, I could see it coming- as plenty of Haywood-type malls in the Pacific Northwest have Nordstrom, and plenty of Haywood-type malls around NYC have Lord & Taylor, but sadly that's not the case.

Haywood needs a full exterior renovation + the addition of an outdoor component with better sit-down restaurants such as the Cheesecake Factory. Take the outdoor part at SouthPark and just make that a lot bigger, for what I'm thinking.

There are actually plenty of malls that are a LOT lower end than Haywood (Lloyd Center, Northgate) in the Pacific Northwest that have Nordstrom. I'm confident that Nordstrom will come to Greenville, but I'm not sure if it will come soon or even after a long time.

Agreed. I don't really want the any of those except for IKEA :) Honestly I would like a Nordstrom better. It's actually pretty reasonable for Greenville to get a Nordstrom in the next 5-10 years. I could see the other three working elsewhere. IKEA is WAY too big to put where Sears is. And Bass Pro Shops are even larger than IKEA (Most all BPS are 1 floor and I'm pretty sure all IKEA stores are 2 floors).

Also agree how the parking lot needs to be redone. I kind of like the exterior of the mall. It matches the interior and the mall entrances. It is dated, but a lighter exterior would be good but they would have to change the entrances.

I believe an average IKEA (~300,000sf) could easily be built where Sears (2-story, 155,000sf) currently sits. There is definitely room to expand toward Haywood Road. A department store so large could contain 3 floors, if necessary, like Dillards (3-stories, 220,000sf).

Agreed- point is that luxury department stores will be more likely to locate in a non-luxury mall that is near its headquarters than one far away. New Jersey has malls that are lower-end than Haywood but have Lord & Taylor in them, for that reason, I'd think.

rumor is Dillards will go under with in five years and Nordstroms will buy them out.

There are actually plenty of malls that are a LOT lower end than Haywood (Lloyd Center, Northgate) in the Pacific Northwest that have Nordstrom.

Agreed- point is that luxury department stores will be more likely to locate in a non-luxury mall that is near its headquarters than one far away. New Jersey has malls that are lower-end than Haywood but have Lord & Taylor in them, for that reason, I'd think.

On Nordstrom's "Future Stores" site, the only cities that have regular Nordstroms coming soon are Nashville, Newark, Delaware (Philadelphia suburb traffic), St. Louis (replacing a Lord & Taylor) and two Taubman centers that are up in the air in the North Shore of Long Island (NYC high-end suburb) and San Juan. I don't see any Greenville-type city getting a Nordstrom in the near future.

Edited by mallguy

I believe an average IKEA (~300,000sf) could easily be built where Sears (2-story, 155,000sf) currently sits. There is definitely room to expand toward Haywood Road. A department store so large could contain 3 floors, if necessary, like Dillards (3-stories, 220,000sf).

On Nordstrom's "Future Stores" site, the only cities that have regular Nordstroms coming soon are Nashville, Newark, Delaware (Philadelphia suburb traffic), St. Louis (replacing a Lord & Taylor) and two Taubman centers that are up in the air in the North Shore of Long Island (NYC high-end suburb) and San Juan. I don't see any Greenville-type city getting a Nordstrom in the near future.

rumor is Dillards will go under with in five years and Nordstroms will buy them out.

I guess they could. I didn't realize that Sears actually had that much parking space there. But I doubt that they would open there, as they usually don't appear as an anchor in a mall. They would definitely need a lot of parking. The one at Charlotte had a full parking lot, and it was pretty big too. I couldn't really picture a 3 story IKEA. They would need double the space that Sears has for both levels.

I know that they have a lot of locations around their headquarters. But I guess getting a Nordstrom isn't that big of a deal considering that the department stores at Haywood already carry some of the brands that Nordstrom carries. Lord & Taylor isn't even that upscale anymore. Nothing different from Macy's, really. But with the amount of people shopping at the Haywood Mall and the amount of stores in Greenville, including the growing population of Greenville, I can't see why Nordstrom couldn't announce a store within the next 10 years.

As much as I would love to see this happen, I doubt that would happen. I'm pretty sure that Nordstrom is one of the only department stores that has never expanded by buying other department store companies.

• 2 weeks later...

Lord & Taylor isn't even that upscale anymore. Nothing different from Macy's, really.

Edited- Lord & Taylor went more mid-market, but then started moving back upscale in the mid-2000s. I go to L&T constantly and there's a big difference between it and a Macy's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_%26_Taylor (see "Upgraded merchandise")

I can see Dillard's going under, and I can see Nordstrom buying a handful of locations, but not the whole chain- Dillard's has way too many locations that wouldn't fit Nordstrom's strategy of stores in upper-income areas in larger metropolitan areas.

Edited by mallguy

Good riddance. Hopefully a REAL store like Anthropologie will replace it now.

Expect more closings of the remaing few cheap mom and pops as juggling of tenant space continues. Anthropolgie, Crazy 8 and Steve Madden all in negotiations. Anthropologie needing a good deal of space.

Expect more closings of the remaing few cheap mom and pops as juggling of tenant space continues. Anthropolgie, Crazy 8 and Steve Madden all in negotiations. Anthropologie needing a good deal of space.

I knew about Crazy 8 and Anthropologie but had no idea Steve Madden was looking at space. There's not even one in Charlotte. That would be a very nice tenant to land. :) Sephora and Forever 21 (possibly the XXI version) are also looking at space. Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised to see Haywood Mall announce an expansion soon with little available space remaining along with Magnolia Park and Crescent Place being on hold.

Edited by citylife

How many places are there left that could make room?...there are a few mom and pop stores, but not many. The ones that are there (SC Place, Nina's come to mind) do too well to close. Here are the combination ideas I could think of:

The spaces where PoppyPia/Payless/empty space are next to Sears, put a store there between Pottery Barn and Sears, in the upscale corridor.

The space that hosts The Silver Link could be combined with the space Aeropostale temporarily occupies (former Borders Express). If Silver Link stayed, they could move to the unused portion of where Eddie Bauer was.

The space that has that Indian style apparel next to Sears downstairs, SC Place, and that empty space behind it (entrance corridor beside Apple) could combine, and could even absorb Bordwalk and Park Place.

That's all far fetched, but make the best combination scenerios I could think of.

As Seen On TV has moved back to their old location and some place that has parties or something for tween girls will take that space next to Dillard's.