Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From gvlscrkeva over on city-data:

1. Expect the entire Macy's/Belk court to be redone with new seating, interior designs, new elevator, the removal of the two escalators (the one in front of jewerly store on the left (if coming from Macy's) and the escalator in front of the Coach store), they will be removed. From what my friend told me, the "feel or aura" that Simon is going for especially for the center court is Luxury/leisure, something that you would find in a 5-star hotel kinda thing.

2. Two new sets of escalators will come to the mall, one set in front of JCPenney, and the other set in front of Sears. What is weird is that she didn't say that there would be a new set for the Center Court.

3. No fountains in the mall still! LOL!

4. All that Simon said in the press release is accurate and correct. Expect a major overhaul of the overall design of the interior of the mall and also the exterior of the mall will be done with major renovations of the mall entrances (Dillard's wing, JCPenney area, Palmetto Moon area, Food Court entrance)

5. This is also in correlation with the Haywood Road project. As a former employee of a major department store at Haywood, the Macy's there will be getting a major exterior facelift. Looking at the PDF download for the Haywood Rd project, the city/Simon is going to redo the front entrances of Haywood Mall. From what I saw, the word is true in that the parking lot will be redone and there's supposed to be a new big fountain in front of Macy's. On the "mall side" of Haywood Road, Simon is helping Macy's foot the bill of the renovation of the store's exterior appearance.

6. Sears isn't going anywhere and if they did go somewhere, they'd sub lease out their building since they own it and the parking area that it sits on. Sears also does quite a bit of business in the auto care department and appliances department from what an associate told me. He did say that the clothing portion does so-so but overall the store is healthy and it doesn't compete against the other two Sears store in the Upstate (Westgate Mall, Spartanburg & Anderson Mall, Anderson)

7. Don't underestimate the buying power of Greenville and it's citizens. I got this on good authority multiple times from people within the City of Greenville, Simon Malls, and developers out of state, that Nordstrom wanted to locate at Haywood but there was no room for them and Haywood couldn't make any other room for them. *Personally, I would have just built a small wing from the Palmetto Moon Mall entrance outward however I think it would be a matter of the footprint of the store being on the edge of Macy's parking lot to the left and Sears parking lot the the right which would have created a problem for Nordstrom.

8. Haywood Mall isn't going anywhere, it's the regional draw. We have the only 3 level Dillard's store in the state (from my understanding), the Belk location at Haywood was the "flagship legacy Belk-Simpson", it's one of the better performing stores in the company. As a matter of fact, that Belk outsales all the other department stores at Haywood Mall. In order of sales, its (Belk, Macy's, Dillard, Penneys, Sears). Macy's Haywood is the only Macy's between Charlotte and Altanta and also it's one of only 2 stores in the entire state. (I feel bad that Charleston yet has one with the money in that area). We have plenty of high-end retailers at Haywood and in a few months, the mall will once again be 100% leased out. Stores like Apple, Brookstone, Coach, etc. don't come to Greenville for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So where is the new Panera? In the mall?

Personally, I think CCF would be crazy to go to the mall. I work over by the mall now, and it really doesn't look all that busy to me.  Maybe it is on the weekends.  Haywood is not a dinner destination to me anymore. The exterior renovation is a disappointment thus far.  The right location DT and CCF would mop up. 

Exterior renovations to the big boxes at the mall have also started. First up is Belk.

What is planned?  This is very much needed, IMO.  

I really wish the mall and the city would bury the power lines.  They REALLY stand out now that the other ones are gone, and the mature trees are gone too. 

Edited by vicupstate
  • Like 1

What is planned? This is very much needed, IMO.

I really wish the mall and the city would bury the power lines. They REALLY stand out now that the other ones are gone, and the mature trees are gone too.

Not sure but it looks to be extensive.

As much as I dislike Haywood (the clientele, the exterior, the location, etc.), it's not a B mall; it's certainly a strong and dominant center- at least for now.  Once downtown and exurbs keep building up, and once Sears closes (which will happen), things could change, but for now, it's a strong, mid-market shopping center.

I also agree that Cheesecake Factory would do great downtown.  The perfect location would be the Greenville News site, Riverplace or maybe McBee Station (for the ample parking).

Edited by mallguy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On November 25, 2015 at 12:58:27 PM, gman430 said:

Michael Kors is now open. Really nice store with clothing items available. 

Bavarian Pretzel Factory has closed. 

That's not exactly a great location for a restaurant, but from what I've read, the service at Bavarian Pretzel Factory was terrible. 

On 5/23/2015, 12:05:07, StrangeCock said:

Man, I just don't get the Cheesecake Factory thing. It's like an upscale Applebee's.

I have never thought of if that way but now that you mention it, it sort of does! :-)     It will be great for businesses in that area and will draw people to shop and eat.