Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Banana Republic is closing.

The one in downtown Charleston also closed. That whole chain is going to be gone soon. There won’t be any in South Carolina once the one at Haywood Mall closes. We are not alone either: 

https://www.businessinsider.com/gap-banana-republic-to-close-350-stores-fleeing-malls-2020-10

Edited by gman430

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

I wonder if the mall is going to combine Plum and Banana Republic into one space seeing how they’re right next to each other. With Banana Republic closing, that makes it eight empty spaces at the mall out of 120. 6-7% vacancy rate. 

Including the vacant Sears results in a much higher vacancy rate.

The large number of “filler” stores also indicates a lack of demand for retail space there.

I wonder if the mall is going to combine Plum and Banana Republic into one space seeing how they’re right next to each other. With Banana Republic closing, that makes it eight empty spaces at the mall out of 120. 6-7% vacancy rate. 

That low vacancy rate shows how strong our retail market is. It also reinforces the fact that Haywood Mall is a high quality shopping destination. Most of the malls in our nation is experiencing much high vacancy rates. We are blessed to have such a great shopping mall. 

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Including the vacant Sears results in a much higher vacancy rate.

The large number of “filler” stores also indicates a lack of demand for retail space there.

Yes. That is correct. I was referring to the number of spaces available for the vacancy rate not the actual square footage available. I’d rather see downtown get the national clothing retailers anyways. I wish Lucky Brand would have gone downtown instead of Haywood. Not even Charleston has one of their full fledge non-outlet stores like Greenville.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 12:56 AM, gman430 said:

That is probably where Cotton On is going in.

Edited by vistatiger

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Who owns the Sears building and why hasn’t it been redeveloped?  

I was thinking that Von Maur could be a prospect for it, but since Dillard’s is now pretty upscale, I don’t see a need for two similar stores in one mall.

That building along with the land around it is listed for sale or lease to a single tenant or redeveloped for mixed use development. Not much Simon can do about it unless they purchase it.  With all the apartment development going on around the mall I would not be surprised if Sears is eventually sold and razed for apartments and some sort of retail.  I have said it before and I will say it again I would love for Dick's to relocate from Woodruff Rd and replace Sears with a  large 2 level Dicks House of Sports concept store  the same way Simon replaced Sears at West Town Mall in Knoxville.  

https://www.providencegroup.com/property-listings/former-sears-available-for-lease-or-sale-greenville-sc/

Edited by vistatiger

22 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Wasn't NY&Co across from Banana Republic?  The online directory is showing that as the Man Cave store and it still lists Cotton On as Coming Soon.

You must be looking at an old leasing plan. Here’s the current one showing Cotton On in that old spot: 

https://business.simon.com/assets/mall/206/LEASING_PLAN/4825_HAYWOOD MALL_CurrentWebLeasePlan-1_1.pdf

You must be looking at an old leasing plan. Here’s the current one showing Cotton On in that old spot: 

https://business.simon.com/assets/mall/206/LEASING_PLAN/4825_HAYWOOD MALL_CurrentWebLeasePlan-1_1.pdf

The Haywood mall website. Clearly they haven't updated it's map.

https://www.simon.com/mall/haywood-mall/map/#/

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

The amount of trash in the parking lot I saw this morning was quite disturbing. I wish the city would do something. 

It is sad that so many use parking lots for a dump. Seriously, it has gotten out of hand everywhere. People don’t care. I am not sure what the city of Greenville can do about trash in a privately owned parking lot. 

Edited by gman

36 minutes ago, gman said:

It is sad that so many use parking lots for a dump. Seriously, it has gotten out of hand everywhere. People don’t care. I am not sure what the city of Greenville can do about trash in a privately owned parking lot. 

They could have maintenance/custodial workers pick up the trash in the morning before the mall opens, hire a parking lot sweeper like you see at other shopping malls, or they could install trash cans in the parking lot. It’s not that hard unless you’re Simon of course.

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

The amount of trash in the parking lot I saw this morning was quite disturbing. I wish the city would do something. 

The parking lot is owned by Simon Properties or the mall anchors.  Why would Greenville taxpayers need to be responsible for costs of cleaning up litter on privately-owned property?  Why shouldn’t Simon or the anchors be responsible?  If there is litter in my yard, I clean it up; I don’t expect other taxpayers to.

10 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

The parking lot is owned by Simon Properties or the mall anchors.  Why would Greenville taxpayers need to be responsible for costs of cleaning up litter on privately-owned property?  Why shouldn’t Simon or the anchors be responsible?  If there is litter in my yard, I clean it up; I don’t expect other taxpayers to.

I’m not saying the city should be in charge of picking it up. What I am saying is that the city should order Simon to pick it up in the morning before the mall opens. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

I’m not saying the city should be in charge of picking it up. What I am saying is that the city should order Simon to pick it up in the morning before the mall opens. 

We don’t need the city to get into the business of inspecting parking lots for trash pickup. They would need to hire full time employees to do that. 

On 1/29/2023 at 2:50 PM, gman said:

We don’t need the city to get into the business of inspecting parking lots for trash pickup. They would need to hire full time employees to do that. 

Yes. They will never get to the mall  if they start with all the Dollar General parking lots. Those are some of the most littered I have seen.