Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

True; oddly enough, even though Westgate is the only enclosed mall in Spartanburg that I know of (now at least), it seems to be having some occupancy issues- is the Proffitt's vacant yet?

We used to have another mall called Hillcrest Mall in Hillcrest (Eastside of Spartanburg), no less. They tore most of it down about 10 years ago becasue Westgate was dominating the retail scene. They left part of it in tact, and it makes up part of the Hillcrest Shopping Center area. There are some asian restaurants, a mexican place, and a Radio Shack there now. You'd never know it was a mall :) Westgate has an 83% occupancy rate right now (most of that is from the loss of Proffits). I think it should fill up pretty quick. That location has prime visibility from I-26. Supposedly CostCo is looking at that spot. Maybe BassPro too, but I am fairly certain that BPS has it narrowed down to Greenville (though I have not seen much about it in some time). I personally think Westgate is overdue for a rennovation. Its been at least 10 years since the last one.

Westgate has 1.1m sq ft, and Haywood has 1.2m sq ft... I've done the reserach:

Check it out for your self if you like:

Westgate [scroll down to SC]

Haywood [pdf]

Haywood: 1,233,000 sq. ft.

WestGate: 1,100,679 sq. ft.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Haywood Mall a couple of weeks ago. Eddie Bauer wasn't open yet, but it didn't look to be far from complete - all but the stock was in place. The rest of the mall is just looking OUTSTANDING (on the inside). Unfortunately, as the old adage goes, "one can't judge a book by its cover." I'm sure a lot of visitors would look at the outside of the mall and not expect it to have undergone such an impressive interior renovation. Perhaps this is a good thing, however, as more visitors would be inclined to venture into downtown instead of stopping at the Haywood Mall. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Eddie Bauer is open at Haywood. They have a very nice store...I'm impressed. It is a little smaller than the other but there is a lot more attention to detail.

:thumbsup: I was by there right before they opened and looked in. It looks great! Their newest format.

The space where Coach is going in was heavy under construction as well.

Question- why on Earth does Greenville not yet have a Brooks Bros.? Plenty of malls like Haywood (e.g., Northlake Mall near Charlotte), Greenville-size cities (e.g., Knoxville) and even airports (e.g., LaGuardia) have Brooks Brothers stores; if Greenville can support similar stores such as Harold's (which I view as more stylish and more expensive), why hasn't BB come yet?

Any news on this front?

Thanks.

Was in Haywood yesterday and the new Eddie Bauer looked great. Also, very surprised by the new PacSun. They moved into a new spot and it's the companies latest prototype. Slick! The entrance is excellent! Both Goddess and the small space beside are empty with some light demo work starting for the new Coach space.

Went to Haywood yesterday. The interior is nice and the exterior has definitely improved. Will the exterior be further updated as well like SouthPark in Charlotte- with stucco replacing the beige brick?

Haywood's in-line tenants have definitely improved in the past 5 years; fingers crossed that an upscale anchor comes to the mall as well to match the upgrade in the in-line tenants.

Went to Haywood yesterday. The interior is nice and the exterior has definitely improved. Will the exterior be further updated as well like SouthPark in Charlotte- with stucco replacing the beige brick?

It would be nice to add some color to the exterior than to leave it in its boring brick color state. I do not know if that is in the plans.

Haywood's in-line tenants have definitely improved in the past 5 years; fingers crossed that an upscale anchor comes to the mall as well to match the upgrade in the in-line tenants.

I'd love to see another addition with a second garage included.

I agree. The recent renovations should help attract new stores and anchors should the mall expand again.

How much room does Haywood have left to expand? The space between Macy's and Sears would be the most logical place to build an anchor or a parking deck at. It would not hurt to vertically expand with a third level of stores and a fourth level for a rooftoop multiplex.

It would be nice to add some color to the exterior than to leave it in its boring brick color state. I do not know if that is in the plans.

I agree. The recent renovations should help attract new stores and anchors should the mall expand again.

How much room does Haywood have left to expand? The space between Macy's and Sears would be the most logical place to build an anchor or a parking deck at. It would not hurt to vertically expand with a third level of stores and a fourth level for a rooftoop multiplex.

I cannot even begin to imagine how much it would cost to add a third level to Haywood!

Three-story malls have a dim track record; people often do not like to trek up to the third floor. I don't see it happening. The Haywood parking lot is plenty big for more retail space to be added there, and parking garages could be built to make up for lost parking space, such as SouthPark in Charlotte has done.

Three-story malls have a dim track record; people often do not like to trek up to the third floor. I don't see it happening. The Haywood parking lot is plenty big for more retail space to be added there, and parking garages could be built to make up for lost parking space, such as SouthPark in Charlotte has done.

That was the mindset years ago when the third level concept was conceived.

Why does Lennox Square (Atlanta, GA), Four Seasons Town Center (Greensboro, NC), Mall of America (Boomington, MN) and other centers in various metropolitans continue to be successful? They have been able to maximize their sites for vertical expansion allowing more anchors, specialty shops, restaurants and attractions to occupy the complex. Adjacent parking decks allow for more parking and mall goers can park and access a mall level and know where the parked. Mall walkers are always looking for more space to walk.

It needs something. The inside is very nice, and the new entraceways look nice but they are VERY out of place with the rest of the exterior. It looks like they started to update the outside and ran out of money a tenth of the way through. It looks like half Flat-Rock Grill / half Hardees.