Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

It looks like they started to update the outside and ran out of money a tenth of the way through. It looks like half Flat-Rock Grill / half Hardees.

:rofl:

I've been saying the same thing. At the very least, they could take a pressure washer to the place and give it a fresh coat of brown/tan paint to update the outside.

Why does Lennox Square (Atlanta, GA), Four Seasons Town Centre (Greensboro, NC), Mall of America (Boomington, MN) and other centers in various metropolitans continue to be successful? They have been able to maximize their sites for vertical expansion allowing more anchors, specialty shops, restaurants and attractions to occupy the complex. Adjacent parking decks allow for more parking and mall goers can park and access a mall level and know where the parked. Mall walkers are always looking for more space to walk.
I can't speak for the other malls, but Four Seasons keeps its third level afloat by catering to youth-oriented and urban stores along with the food court. Maybe that's a possiblity for a three-level Haywood, but also keep in mind that Four Seasons was designed to become a three-story mall in the first place, even though it didn't officially become one until about 1987.

The only other fully three-level mall I've been to that does well on its third floor, in addition to Four Seasons, is Tysons Galleria in Washington. The other three-story malls I know of- Town & Country in Houston, the Manhattan Mall and the Shops at Columbus Circle in NYC and CambridgeSide Galleria near Boston, either went bust or have low occupancy on their third floors.

A couple of others in the DC area are 3 stories - Shops at Georgetown on M Street, and the mall in Pentagon City just above the Metro station. Both of these might be four stories, now that I think about it. They obviously have a smaller footprint, though, especially the one in Georgetown. With respect to Haywood Mall, I think it makes much more sense to use some of the existing parking lot to add on. Adding a third level sounds like a lot more trouble than is required.

Does anyone know how Haywood's anchors are doing- which has the highest sales per square foot and which has the lowest?

A few thoughts: (1) that Macy's is starting to look a bit ragged and is kind of small, and (2) I wish Haywood would kick out Sears or JC Penney and replace one of those anchors with a Parisian or something so that the mall could move a bit more upscale.

If either could be "kicked out," I would prefer Sears to make the departure and not JC Penney. I think there is too great a need for such a place at the present. Sears is not nearly the same department store it once was. Something new in that anchor spot would be a very welcome addition.

If either could be "kicked out," I would prefer Sears to make the departure and not JC Penney. I think there is too great a need for such a place at the present. Sears is not nearly the same department store it once was. Something new in that anchor spot would be a very welcome addition.

The new Sears is the type of store that would do very well as a stand-alone rather than anchoring a mall.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone else had heard that The Limited is closing? Can anyone confirm? If this is true, are they relocating to another spot? I was told that Victoria's Secret is going to expand into there spot...

they are probably moving.....Alot of Limited Stores have Remodeled into smaller spaces, Columbiana did, and Carolina Place in Charlotte also.....their new concept store is smaller, the old ones were too big and seemed empty because of it....

The Limited is leaving one week from tomorrow for good and Victoria's Secret is taking over their spot in addition to what they already have.

That store must not be doing well. Not that I shop there, but that would leave Haywood as one of the only regional malls I know of without a Limited- most large malls, from the infamous Eastland to SouthPark and the like- seem to have that store.

That's unfortunate.

The Limited is leaving one week from tomorrow for good and Victoria's Secret is taking over their spot in addition to what they already have.

Doesn't shock me. The Limited has been one of the more poor performing of Limited Brands. Great to see VS (which is performing well) will take the space and expand, as well as the recent remodel of the Express store, which is one the better performing (and hipper) for Limited Brands. :thumbsup:

That store must not be doing well. Not that I shop there, but that would leave Haywood as one of the only regional malls I know of without a Limited- most large malls, from the infamous Eastland to SouthPark and the like- seem to have that store.
Limited is an old concept with diminshing appeal. Going forward, a lot of malls will be losing Limited stores because their target customer is shopping elsewhere.

Interesting point, StevenRocks- where are they shopping? Target? Kohl's?
Some of them are, actually.There's a lot of competiton for the misses' 25-34 market. The younger end of that market is shopping at stores like Express & H&M. The older end is going to discount stores and stores like Chico's. Limited isn't offering much that isn't being offered for less (or with more flair) elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I visited Haywood Mall today for the first time in a long while, and was entirely blown away with the changes and high quality of the place! :shok: People who haven't been there in even one year, should definitely check it out. This place has become a magnificent regional mall masterpiece, in my opinion, which these photos cannot do justice. :shades: