Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

It has indeed undergone an amazing transformation inside; however, the outside still needs plenty of work. An army of pressure washers, painters, landscapers, and masons could do wonders there very quickly. :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more with that statement. Stone, stucco, glass, polished aluminum, and timber would be an incredible combination. :shades:

• 1 month later...

OK...I think I may have answered my own question. Dell.com shows that there are now 3 Dell Direct stores in South Carolina (where there used to be none): Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville. The Greenville kiosk is located on the lower level near Ann Taylor and Motherhood Maternity. I'll have to check it out the next time I'm over there. :shades:

I don't think we'll be getting an Apple Store at Haywood any time soon; however, for me a Dell Direct Store is a milestone. For whatever reason, Dell has not considered South Carolina at all until very recently. They've opened Dell Direct Kiosks all around South Carolina, but not in South Carolina. That seems to have changed, so somebody woke up and smelled the greenbacks. :thumbsup:

Yea, hadn't forgotten them. They're an Apple Reseller. No different from Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, or Wal-Mart, really. :lol: I'm not sure what that means other than they can offer lower prices on certain items if they so choose to and they can't offer you personalized engraving of your products (iPods).

Now that I don't foresee another department store coming to Haywood anytime soon, with Parisian vanishing, when will Haywood EVER get a lifestyle center component with a nice outdoor component and a few white-tablecloth restaurants? That is the craze these days for malls; Haywood has been updated and upscaled since it opened in 1980, but it hasn't evolved as much as some other malls such as SouthPark in Charlotte have. Adding a Cheesecake Factory and a Maggiano's or the like, with a pedestrian-friendly area nearby, would be great.

Perhaps since Haywood has killed off all other competing malls, Simon doesn't need to put as much money into Haywood as it would if the mall had some strong competitors? I recall that the '95 expansion took place right when McAlister Square was still the #2 mall and when Greenville Mall was being expanded and redeveloped, and perhaps Haywood's owners were worried about keeping the mall #1 then?

That is the craze these days for malls; Haywood has been updated and upscaled since it opened in 1980, but it hasn't evolved as much as some other malls such as SouthPark in Charlotte have.
SouthPark is a special case. Few malls that age are even operating, much less thriving.

Haywood Mall will likely see its day in the lifestyle center sun, but with Shops at Greenridge and other local developments popping up, it's not quite time for that yet.

The crowd at the Apple Store at SouthPark is rediculous. I was up there during the tax-free weekend (which apparantly NC has copied from us) and there was a line just to get in the store. I think Apple woud do well to open up in smaller markets like Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston. If nothing else, iPlace should plan to expand there. We need more Apples in SC ;) Maybe its just my bias though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Any news re: Haywood? The mall definitely looks better inside since the remodel, but that beige brick on the outside needs some updating!

You got me really excited when I saw this thread towards the top that maybe an announcement about an exterior overhaul was about to take place... Oh well. :(

But the inside does look amazing and a hundred times better. Whoever did the designing on that did a great job.

I was out there this evening building a bear for my little girl and I walked around a bit. The place does look AMAZING inside now. I agree that something needs to be done to improve the appearance of the outside of the building. Paint. Pressure wash. Both. The hideous old looking building is a stark contrast to the nice new entrances into which they put such care. :rolleyes:

As much as I've made fun of Magnolia Park and its "upscale" aspects, I hope that it and Greenridge do very well and end up adding more space for typical mall-type stores. Haywood really is more or less a monopoly for mall-type stores, since there are now no other class A enclosed malls in Greenville, and I'd figure that Simon uses the mall as a cash cow. If there were more competition for in-line tenants, perhaps Simon would feel the need to bring improvements that other malls in other cities have (e.g., bringing popular white-tablecloth restaurants such as the Cheesecake Factory, adding a sporting goods store, re-doing the beige brick exterior, etc.).

I was out there this evening building a bear for my little girl and I walked around a bit. The place does look AMAZING inside now. I agree that something needs to be done to improve the appearance of the outside of the building. Paint. Pressure wash. Both. The hideous old looking building is a stark contrast to the nice new entrances into which they put such care. :rolleyes:

I do agree the building needs a good pressure washing on the beige brick and the white trim needs repainting, however, I would hate to see them do away with the beige brick and turn the outside into a typical year 2006 mall. I think it shows strength and staying power that an older mall with brick from a by-gone era, has continued to improve inside and attract more upscale tenants. Funny....in Dallas, Northpark was built out of old early 60's yellow brick. When the mall added on and remodeled, they matched this brick and continued the same look. The old parts of Northpark on the exterior look old and worn, but inside, you've got one of America's premier malls. To be quite honest, the Neimans at Northpark....well talk about an worn looking exterior.....it would take way more than a pressure washing to help it out, yet it's their number one store.

To be quite honest, the Neimans at Northpark....well talk about an worn looking exterior.....it would take way more than a pressure washing to help it out, yet it's their number one store.
I'll bet there's only a handful of hardcore NM NorthPark shoppers that even notice the exterior. :rolleyes:

To be fair though, it'a an iconic design. You don't mess with icons.

But anyway, back to topic...

I'll bet there's only a handful of hardcore NM NorthPark shoppers that even notice the exterior. :rolleyes:

To be fair though, it'a an iconic design. You don't mess with icons.

But anyway, back to topic...

Yep, exactly....shoppers rarely notice the color or age of brick. My point. It's great to see that regardless of the color or age of Haywoods brick, it continues to get more and more higher end stores.

• 4 weeks later...