What if Disney left Orlando?

depechecureguyorl

Regarding some recet discussions in other posts; notably the Jags leaving Jacksonville for Orlando and some Jax posters speculating on Disney leaving Orlando for Jax; what do YOU think? Do you think Orlando would have been better off if Disney never did more his dream world there? Where do you think Walt SHOULD have moved his empire? Do you think there are better places in Florida for Disney than Orlando? Looking forward to hearing from all of you... :P

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initially the region would take a hit since Disney employees 55,000. However, in the end Orlando would move on just fine because it was a city with an established economic base long before Disney came along. One the other hand, Kissimmee and the Four Corners would dry up.

Orlando will be fine. The present of Disney just make Orlando more well-known internationally for business to relocate. It didnt actually have direct effect to the city of Orlando. Plus, most of the corporate are outside of city of Orlando anyway thanks to Orange County. We dont have much tourist in the city of Orlando. Disney employee lives mostly in Orange County. The move will dry up Orange County which will then remove some of the ego and power that the county have now because of the cash flow. But, Orlando will still have Universal tax base.

Awesome responses so far! I agree w/all of them.

True, Orange County politicians seem to have no backbone when it comes to standing up to the tourist industry and making them pay their fair share of taxes. I don't think they realize that Disney and the other theme parks have invested too much money in the region to even think of going anywhere. So why not pressure them??? Also, the hoteliers on I-Drive need the theme parks and they're not going anywhere either. Why are Orange County leaders acting like we're still trying to WIN this business? We've already got it, so lets use it to our advantage!

I'm so glad the city of Orlando tends to avoid this practice. I also think the city proper is VERY diversified compared to Orange County. I'm starting to see the benefits the parks bring to the city or Orlando; i.e. the obvious International exposure, business attracted to family atmosphere, etc. And I guess those dividends are now paying off, dowtown construction is a prime example!

Its definitely true that the county is the ones promoting sprawl, not the city. You definitely cannot blame Disney for sprawl in Florida, look at Disneyland Paris, its not like Disney moved in and all of a sudden they started building irresponsibly around them. Leaders don't allow it.

Wait, wait.... there are Jax posters who actually think it's even possible for Disney to move? hysterical.gif I knew some of them weren't the sharpest tools, but damn...

Nobody seriously thought that it was possible, or desirable, for Disney to move from Orlando to Jacksonville. You are stuck with the poor tourists and minimum wage jobs.

The theme parks and hotels also provide plenty of mid-level and upper-level jobs. Why would we be complaining about jobs in the first place? A job is a job is a job. Any city would welcome the 50,000+ jobs, and that's just Disney World alone. The problem is the unbalanced sway tourism has, not that it's there. Orlando is doing it's best to diversify.

And sorry, but poor tourist?

Have you been to Disney lately?

Have you been to Disney lately?

I have. It is expensive, but these are not exactly cosmopolitan tourists for the most part. And, there are high wage jobs in the tourist industry, but on average they are not up to par. All I said is I wouldnt want Disney in Jax. Why is that so hard to believe?

Orlando will be fine. The present of Disney just make Orlando more well-known internationally for business to relocate. It didnt actually have direct effect to the city of Orlando. Plus, most of the corporate are outside of city of Orlando anyway thanks to Orange County. We dont have much tourist in the city of Orlando. Disney employee lives mostly in Orange County. The move will dry up Orange County which will then remove some of the ego and power that the county have now because of the cash flow. But, Orlando will still have Universal tax base.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^ Do you actually believe this!? Universal "aint no" Disney!

Disney would mever move because no state would ever do what Florida did when Disney was created for it to be it's own "City" ie Reedy Creek. That is what made it possible for Disney to locate there essentially with far less oversite than the would have anywhere else, with benificial tax structure for the property.

Disney would mever move because no state would ever do what Florida did when Disney was created for it to be it's own "City" ie Reedy Creek.  That is what made it possible for Disney to locate there essentially with far less oversite than the would have anywhere else, with benificial tax structure for the property.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly richjagr,

Disney is for all intents and purposes is a government entity of its own which even the state barely has any say so as far as development, or environmental issues are concerned. As a corporation they could pretty much do as well as they please without government interference.

Archived