Ideas for Upstate Road Improvements

roads-scholar

As "roads-scholar" I have my own ideas for new / improved roads in our area. Not to sound like a proponent of sprawl, but new / improved roads could improve the quality of life and help spur economic development.

Listed below are some road projects I would like to see in our area. I don't think any of these are part of GRATS or SPATS long-range plans.

1) Major upgrade to I-585 including a high-speed interchange to / from I-85.

2) Major upgrade to I-85 between exit 80 and NC state line.

3) Return Business 85 to interstate highway status (I-685) with long range plans to upgrade substantard interchanges.

4) Major upgrades to I-385 from I-85 south to Laurens County line.

5) Connector highway between I-26 and I-85 somewhere south and east of Spartanburg.

6) Major upgrades to I-85 between exit 19 and Georgia state line in Anderson County.

7) New interstate spur leading from downtown Spartanburg northeast toward I-85.

8) Major upgrades to US-123 between US-25 and SC-153 in Easley.

Your thoughts and additions?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how they could do this....probably impossible.....but it seems like 385 should not end in downtown. It should go through town and run into US 25 which should be controlled access to I-26 just across the North Carolina border. One continuous controlled access highway from 85 to I-26 in NC. Pipe dream, I know.

I think they should do phase 4 of the Verne Smith Parkway which would be HWY 14 to Batesville and meet up with the Parkway there.

Also, I know these would be against regulations becuase they are too close to others, but I think there should be on/off ramps at Batesville & I85 and at Roper Mountain Rd. & I85.

Not sure how they could do this....probably impossible.....but it seems like 385 should not end in downtown.  It should go through town and run into US 25 which should be controlled access to I-26 just across the North Carolina border.  One continuous controlled access highway from 85 to I-26 in NC.  Pipe dream, I know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If 385 were to continue through Greenville, it would separate the north main neighborhoods from downtown. I can't think of any cities split by interstates that have not suffered adverse effects by this type of division. The west side of Atlanta is now recovering due to increased value of all land inside the perimeter, but there is no doubt that 75/85 was a major reason for its previous decline.

As it is, 385 funnels people downtown where they can enjoy themselves and spend money in our local economy. That seems like a better deal for the city to me.

I want to see alternate access roads to our major suburban shopping areas. Greenville as this around Haywood Mall, but not as much in the newer sections along Woodruff Rd. From what I coudl tell, Anderson did not have any alternate access.

In Spartanburg I would like to see some sort of circulator/beltline road. For example, it is very difficult for a non-local to get from the northern part of town to the east or west side of town. 295 would make a good candidate for this since most of it is in existance. Much of this could be done on existing surface streets and would only require intersection adjustments to better control the flow of traffic.

SPA_myroads2.jpg

Yellow=existing roads

Orange= some modifications to existing roads

Red= new roads or large changes

--------------------

Here is what I would also reccomend. This could also help boost the Southside and northside areas. The east side of town has too many wealthy and power residents to change anything.

SPA_myroads.jpg

Yellow=existing roads

I want to see alternate access roads to our major suburban shopping areas. Greenville as this around Haywood Mall, but not as much in the newer sections along Woodruff Rd. From what I coudl tell, Anderson did not have any alternate access.

In Spartanburg I would like to see some sort of circulator/beltline road. For example, it is very difficult for a non-local to get from the northern part of town to the east or west side of town. 295 would make a good candidate for this since most of it is in existance. Much of this could be done on existing surface streets and would only require intersection adjustments to better control the flow of traffic.

SPA_myroads2.jpg

Yellow=existing roads

--------------------

Here is what I would also reccomend. This could also help boost the Southside and northside areas. The east side of town has too many wealthy and power residents to change anything.

SPA_myroads.jpg

Yellow=existing roads

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very interesting. Pittsburgh has a belt system of roadways (not expressways) to facilitate traffic around town. It uses existing roads and posts the routes on signs.

If 385 were to continue through Greenville, it would separate the north main neighborhoods from downtown. I can't think of any cities split by interstates that have not suffered adverse effects by this type of division.  The west side of Atlanta is now recovering due to increased value of all land inside the perimeter, but there is no doubt that 75/85 was a major reason for its previous decline.

As it is, 385 funnels people downtown where they can enjoy themselves and spend money in our local economy. That seems like a better deal for the city to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG no.....I'd never want to hurt downtown. That's what Greenville is about. Thats why I said a pipe dream....I was dreaming of a "big dig" (tunnel) where a controlled access highway continues through town. Just seems it would be great to have a freeway artery going north out of town, and if we had that, would be nice to have it connect up with 385 and 85.

On that note though, about Atlanta, I agree with you, their freeway through town 75/85 should have been covered with parks, buildings, etc. Some cities have been successful with this (I-5 through Seattle covered by a huge city park).

Just dreamin. :)

I have another idea, this one involves signage. I had to go down to the Point today and I noticed when leaving that there is sinage telling you were to turn to get on Interstate 85 north, but there is no sighnage there telling you that that is the same ramp to get on the Intersate 385 (either direction).

I think that signage needs to be added, visitors need to know that they can get to Downtown or Columbia at that interchange, not just Spartanburg and Atlanta.

I have another idea, this one involves signage.  I had to go down to the Point today and I noticed when leaving that there is sinage telling you were to turn to get on Interstate 85 north, but there is no sighnage there telling you that that is the same ramp to get on the Intersate 385 (either direction).

I think that signage needs to be added, visitors need to know that they can get to Downtown or Columbia at that interchange, not just Spartanburg and Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, signage in our area is terrible. Directions to our downtowns and the airport can only be found on the interstates.

It is my understanding that the I-385 south to laurens county is in the works. I work in the field of highway inspection and construction,and I have heard this project mentioned several times. If i'm not mistaken on my way to Charleston 2 weeks ago i saw some construction towards Fountain inn. All ideas mentioned however have good points, our roads in SC need major overhauls.

I can probably name some ideas off the bat:

*US 29; widen for four lane divided highway from Interstate 85 Exit 34 to Athens, GA

*SC 81; widen to four lanes from US 25 (White Horse Road) to Interstate 85 (Exit 27)

*four lane road from US 29 (Wade Hampton Blvd) to East North Street to ease traffic in Taylors area

*SC 183; widen to four lanes from US 25 (White Horse Road) to Pickens

*SC 296; widen to four lanes from US 290 to SC 146 (Woodruff Road)

*improve/rebuild Intestates 85/385 interchange, widen Interstate 385 to six lanes from Interstate 85 to Greenville/Laurens County line

*US 123; widen to four lanes from Westminister to Toccoa, GA

*US 221; widen to four lanes from Chesnee to NC state line (plans are underway to widen stretch into Rutherfordton)

One thing Greenville needs without doubt is a Northern connector/loop. This is in the planning stage (which makes me happy) and it would go from somewhere in Greer to somewhere in TR. There are far too many residents in the northern part of the county with little access other than a few clogged highways with stores, gas stations, and fast food joints, among other things.

Another road in the planning stage is the State Hwy 153 extention in Anderson County. This would end uo in Dacusville, opening up more beautiful countryside for development. I definitely don't want this to happen because northern Pickens County is my favorite area in the whole state. :(

HWY 290 (Locut Hill Rd.) from HWY 29 (Wade Hamption Blvd.) in Greer to HWY 25 in Traveler's Rest should be widened to 4 lanes plus turning lane.

Also, HWY 14 from HWY 29 in Greer to HWY 11 in Landrum should be a four lane Highway.

Also consider a new phase of Verne Smith Parkway that connects to and incorporates Gap Creek Rd. creating a four lane high wy running west to east north of HWY 29 that connects 14, 101, and 290. creating loop.

I know the verne smith connects those roads, but that is south of 29. I think it should continue around like a belt way. Not needed yet, but with continued grouwth it will and it will be easier to build it sooner than later. When later means more houses in the way.

That is what is holding up phase 4. The Chartwell subdivision on Gibbs Shoals rd. is in the proposed path.

I'd personally like to see I-385 upgraded from the I-85/I-385 interchange all the way to Clinton where it splits from I-26.  I've driven I-385 into Greenville a number of times.  I drove I-26 out of curiosity once and because I had the time to spare.

I had assumed that I-26 would be very similar to I-385, but I was amazed at the difference between the two.  It seems that I-385 is the poor step-child that never gets any attention or funding (at least betwen Clinton and Simpsonville).  This is probably a direct correlation to the amount of traffic on I-385 as compared to I-26, if I had to guess.

I-385 definitely needs some major upgrades:

1) Improved Exit/Entrance Ramps at most (if not all) of the exits between Simpsonville and Clinton

2) New Road Surface between Greenville and Clinton (and, of course, new stipes and reflectors)

3) New Signage along the way (specifically, signage that you can actually read at night)

4) More "Watch for Deer Crossing Highway" signs  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I-385 between Mauldin and Clinton was originally built in the late 1950's as US-276 when construction standards were different than they are today. Back then, medians and shoulders were narrower, entrance and exit ramps were shorter, and overpasses had lower clearances.

I think eventually you'll see improvements all the way to Clinton but SCDOT will do them incrementally.

SC 290 (Locust Hill Road):

I have heard talks numerous years ago regarding a Nothern Connector., and assumed iit would be a four lane limited access highway on a new location. Realistically, it will be SC 290 being widen to four lanes. For now, there are several intersections that could use some work:

*SC 290 @ SC 101; construct a T-intersection, install a traffic signal

*SC 290 @ SC 253; construct a T-intersection, install traffic signals

*SC 290 @ US 25; reconstruct to T-intersection, install traffic signal

SC 14:

I agree, even if it is all the way to Interstate 26. Currently, there are plans to add a turning lane from Landrum High School out toward the interstate. It may be a wise idea to construct a new interchange with US 176 eastward frow town. There are many trucks that use SC 14 to connect with 26. The currect intersection is very unsafe with a railroad crossing. The crossing was made very unsafe when they took off the gates. US 176 could also use a new realignment southward of town or be widened to four lanes to improve traffic flow and safety.

SC 14 still need much work in Greenville County. Long term plans calls for it being four lanes from Greer to Simpsonville. Recent construction within the past few years have seen the strectch from Pelham Road to Interstate 85 widened to four lanes and a turn lane in some sections from Pelham Road to SC 417 in Simpsonville. I understand there has been much bickering about not wanting the four lane road near Simpsonville, but it is time to face reality.

SC 153:

Knowing the proposed extension area very well, I am also sad to see the current landscape in its last days. In the long term, this road will help Pickens County and Easley for many years to come.

SC 153 could use be extended further in Greenville County from its current terminus with Interstate 185. Brown Road, which connects the terminus to SC 20 at Lakeside Park via the ashphalt plant is in very poor condition. It would make since to either improve the road, or construct a new road out to SC 20 that would be used for SC 153.

Easley Western Connector:

Currently, there is no continuous four lane road from US 123 to Pickens. There is SC 93, which is four lanes from its eastern terminus with US 123 up to B Street. From there in town to SC 8 at Bi-Lo, the road was narrowed to two lanes with streetside parking. Keep in mind there are trucks trying to get to Pickens for destinations. It would make sense to construct a new four lane road from Pendleton Street to Gentry Highway with some interchange with US 123.

SC 290 (Locust Hill Road):

I have heard talks numerous years ago regarding a Nothern Connector., and assumed iit would be a four lane limited access highway on a new location. Realistically, it will be SC 290 being widen to four lanes. For now, there are several intersections that could use some work:

*SC 290 @ SC 101; construct a T-intersection, install a traffic signal

*SC 290 @ SC 253; construct a T-intersection, install traffic signals

*SC 290 @ US 25; reconstruct to T-intersection, install traffic signal

Currently the intersection were 290 and 101 split back apart just norht of 29 is undergoing a redevelopment as we speak. They already tore down the old grocery store that was there.

HWY 290 (Locut Hill Rd.) from HWY 29 (Wade Hamption Blvd.) in Greer to HWY 25 in Traveler's Rest should be widened to 4 lanes plus turning lane.

Also, HWY 14 from HWY 29 in Greer to HWY 11 in Landrum should be a four lane Highway.

Also consider a new phase of Verne Smith Parkway that connects to and incorporates Gap Creek Rd. creating a four lane high wy running west to east north of HWY 29 that connects 14, 101, and 290.  creating loop.

I know the verne smith connects those roads, but that is south of 29.  I think it should continue around like a belt way.  Not needed yet, but with continued grouwth it will and it will be easier to build it sooner than later.  When later means more houses in the way. 

That is what is holding up phase 4.  The Chartwell subdivision on Gibbs Shoals rd. is in the proposed path.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is needed now. If you live up there and have to drive down Hwy 25, 29, or Poinsett Hwy, you have to plan on leaving 20-30 minutes earlier than you should. Also when traveling to Asheville on Hwy 25, more than half of your trip will be here in Greenville County, stuck in traffic. :(

I agree that this should be built as soon as possible. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I recently drove on Laurens Road yesterday and thought about the Verdae project. It also turned me on to some intersection improvements this area could use, most notabably Laurens Road at 85. The entire cloverleaf interchange is outdated and cannot carry much more traffic. In accordance with the ICAR project, Laurens Road will be widened to six lanes from 85 past the Fairforest Way/Millenium Boulevard interchange, and maybe down to Forrester Drive. This also requires rebuilding the cloverleaf section to what I heard something similar like SC 101 at 85.

Archived