Real Estate and Cost of Living

Jerseyman4

With gas prices going up, economy shaky but on the rise slowly and population growth almost allover the country, how is your town or city affairing with the cost of living?

I remember when i was in grammer school reading in my social studies book, Winston-Salem had the lowest cost of living in all of the metro areas in NC. They even had a comparison to other cities on how much a 2 liter soda and a whole large pizza costs. I could be wrong, i recall Charlotte or Asheville was teh highest in the state, metro area wise.

It is not uncommon back in Pinehurst/Southern Pines, people are moving outside the city limits or in neighboring Southern Pines because of the higher property taxes and real estate that Pinehurst is known for. The more US Opens we host, the more Pinehurst is known about at a national scale, teh more expensive it becomes to live there :rofl: .

Even gas prices are higher in Moore County than most of the state, we're at least 7-15 cents higher. The only other county that is about where we are in high gas prices is Chapel Hill (Franklin St north of downtown) and Asheville (respectively within teh city limits and near the Biltmore Estate).

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cost of real estate in the Hampton Roads area has soared. I saw an old newspaper article on a development offering a new home here from 2003 for $165k. That is inconcievable in this market. The avg home price in Norfolk/Va Beach is now $223k. Affordable housing is almost nonexistent. This mostly because a lack of available land to build on. On the other hand we have some of the lowest prices the lowest as of today being 1.88 a gallon.

Archived