CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

• 2 weeks later...

ICAR is now open to the public, so I would suggest a ride around inside. I did and really like the roads and landscaping. There's not much to see yet, other than trees, the BMW facility, and more trees. Hubbell Lighting is planning to begin construction on their new headquarters later this year, so we are sure to have more to post as the time arrives. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really excited to see more things happening at the campus and I look forward to seeing the master plan that should be released soon! I rode through there the other day. It's wonderful. I think that it would be cool if there were an exit off I-85 for ICAR. I can see the signs now and the amount of traffic clogging the lanes to get to work at the site... I would like to see something dramatic and that would have a presence and make passer-bys wonder, what is that that is so amazing???

"I don't think this is something that would have happened in a lot of other places. But in Greenville, the private sector has never waited for government to do something for it. The private sector in Greenville has always seized big ideas, whether it's the Peace Center or a project like this."

^^ This is a great quote and very telling. The ability for the business community to work very cohesively with each other and in lock step with government has made all the difference in Greenville's level of prosperity compared to other cities like Augusta, Asheville, Spartanburg and Columbia, IMO.

Another example is Riverplace. The project has like 80 investors, all of them promenient local businessmen that have acquired the property over a period of decades, just waiting for the right timing to do it.

I drove through ICAR this weekend for the first time. Has anyone else noticed Mr. Hollingsworth trailer? It's easy to miss, but observable from one of the new roundabouts.

For those that don't know, Hollingsworth's estate sold the land for the ICAR project. Mr. Hollingsworth was like the second richest person in the state when he died about 2-3 years ago. Despite his great wealth, he lived in a 1966 single-wide trailer on the property. I wonder when then are going to dispose of it?

I have seen the trailer behind the pond. I think I read in one of the Journal articles that they were leaving the trailer for a while as an homage to Mr. Hollingsworth. I am sure that it will be gone once the first building is in use.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the WYFF website, and really like the ICAR drawings. Very nice, indeed. What time frame are we looking at for completion?

I was thinking about ICAR the other day, and how we will either need to totally revamp the Laurens Road exit or build an exit just for ICAR (exit #49?). I know it is not needed now, but if this thing takes off and is indeed responsible for creating 20,000 jobs in the long term, the traffic in and out of there will be quite extensive.

I'm not going to take all of their images, but I felt like this one was most useful. I hope we see more in the papers tomorrow. I did not realize that the ICAR site is shaped that way.

Greenville_ICAR_plan.bmp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The site that juts in to ICAR: Mellenium Campus has a first right of refusal on it and ICAR the second, so that may be part of ICAR in the Future

I think someone said that there were already plans to upgrade the Laurens Rd intersection?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's right. It has been in the works since Laurens Road was widened a few ywears ago. It will be widened to six lanes beyond Millenium Boulevard/Fairforest Drive all the way down to Forrester Drive. The current cloverleaf interchange is severly inadequate to handle current and future traffic and it is not up to interstate standards. The Interstate 85 overpass structure would be completely replaced to allow for eight lanes of traffic underneath. I do not know what the new final design will be, but a SPUI or a mirror interchange like SC 101 will do just fine.